The Body
O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge of

by Arche USER (86 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2018 | 41 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Luddite's nightmare in eight chapters.

Chip King and Lee Buford have been keeping themselves very busy lately. Apparently not content with merely releasing May’s I Have Fought Against It… and a collaboration with industrial noise rock outfit Uniform (who, for that matter, also released an excellent LP this year with The Long Walk), The Body usher in the year’s concluding months with (to give its full title) O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge of the Earth; pay back to the proud what they deserve. King and Buford’s latest (non-collaborative) efforts have, alongside their usual forays into drone and noise, utilised the vocal talents of artists like Maralie Armstrong and Kristin Hayter to act as a refreshing counterpoint to their otherwise desolate fare. There are no such partnerships here. Chip King’s idiosyncratic howls feel as agonised here as they perhaps ever have done, grinding, vulgar walls of granular noise proffering a most fitting backdrop. The rhythmic pounding which brings the album to life rarely stops, coupling the human, irrational sensation of desperation with the cold, unfeeling power of industrial machinery. What it does best is provide the listener with a sense of futility, a Luddite’s worst nightmare realised as sterile engineering replaces the need for human feeling.

Indeed O God Who Avenges… is, by all accounts, a one-mood release – there are no breakneck turns of character, no bittersweet soliloquys to be found and certainly nothing coming close to joviality (even the notion!). Still, while O God Who Avenges may not have the conflicting personality of other recent works, the duo handle its foreboding nature in a delightfully three-dimensional, rarely stationary fashion. Buford’s percussion adds a much needed organic element towards the album’s midpoint – the surging, almost rousing toms of ‘Exist No More’ present a glint of biological hope, before inevitably collapsing into the deliberate, all destroying crashes (underpinned by the unmistakable breaking of glass) of ‘The Dawn and the Dark’. Each turn of pace comes as yet another embodiment of malice, another steel-plated automaton for the listener to skirmish with. An increasingly tiring pursuit… after eight tracks, eight golems, so very, very exhausting…

Asthma Castle Mount CrushmoreSnail's House Snö
John Prine John PrineMorrissey Low In High School
IDYLLS The BarnSchwefelgelb Den Umgekehrten Atem

November 3rd 2018

Grim shit yo. Really passes very, very quickly, but every second is wonderful. :]

hansoloshotfirst

noice

Digging: Chevalier - Destiny Calls

Dewinged
November 3rd 2018

Oh damn, out already?? Gotta check!

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

November 3rd 2018

Yeah, definitely do so! They kinda chucked this one out quick (the Bandcamp cites 5-to-6 days from recording to release) and it doesn't seem to be FULLY streaming anywhere, but there's tracks up on the BC and it doesn't cost a lot for what it is. Which is really good.

Conmaniac

woah an arch review :0

November 3rd 2018

two in just over a month man, I'm off the fuckin chain

Conmaniac
November 3rd 2018

must've missed ur last one, sry man! this reads well tho ur back at it

dbizzles
November 3rd 2018

This fucking album. This fucking band.

Fantastic review, my friend. This may not be album for the year but it is certainly the most terrifyingly enveloping album I've heard in the year of our lord 2018.

Digging: Sanction (NY) - The Infringement of God's Plan

November 3rd 2018

ngl it's sitting in-and-around the top albums this year for me. It's just so damn relistenable, especially as it goes by so quickly.

Hawks

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

Dewinged

ScuroFantasma

Digging: Trvth - A Galvanizing Derivation

November 4th 2018

"Damn these guys pump out a lot of material, or at least it seems like it lol. Gonna jam hard of course. m/" hell yeah my guy m/

"Oh shit, just realized it's an Arche review! Where the hell have you been, man!?" Spent some time away for a few reasons (mainly graduating and starting a new job) :]

"Good to have you back Aaron (: Might give this a chance later today, just for you < 3" ^ ^

oldmilwaukee
November 4th 2018

Relentlessly churning; on Artaud levels of cruelty out here. I love this joint

PostMesmeric
November 4th 2018

Gonna give this a listen. I used to absolutely hate this band, back in the days of Christs, Redeemers, but their Full of Hell collabs and the recent I Have Fought Against It... have opened my eyes to this group's appeal.

oldmilwaukee
November 4th 2018

I feel it. I didn't like them a couple years ago but they've gradually become one of my favorite bands

PostMesmeric
November 4th 2018

Why does The Body name their albums like if Godspeed, You Black Emperor had an existential crisis?

Source

Sure seems like it

quetzal
November 25th 2018

the body names their albums after quotes

Master We Perish is from the book of Luke

I Have Fought... is from Virginia Woolf's suicide note

O God Who Avenges... is from the book of Psalms

etc.

November 26th 2018

That's pretty cool. I knew this one was biblical, but I didn't know the Virginia Woolf one.