Devil Master
Manifestations

by Dewinged CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2018 | 50 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Death rock promenade at the cemetery.

It's somehow befitting that Relapse Records decided to compile and release the works of Pennsylvania's Devil Master just the morning after the night of the dead. Featuring members of Philadelphia death rock acts Blank Spell and Cape of Bats, Devil Master seems to function as a side project that encapsulates the best of both bands. Manifestations is not the black metal punk disciples' newest material but a compilation of their past two years music: the remastered version of their first self-titled demo, released in 2016, and an EP titled Inhabit the Corpse, published last year. For fans of the death rock, black metal tinged punk genre, this is a blessing. The two releases work wonders when combined, since the gritty, raw production for both is quite similar and the band’s style hasn't changed at all in these past two years.

Imagine undead Motorhead jamming with the Ramones and Mayhem in a forgotten tomb somewhere in Transylvania and you'll get a pretty good idea of the sound of Devil Master. First things first, the run from opener "The Devil Master…" to third track "Failure to Die" is uncut, which enhances the live feel of the recording (the beginning of the latter actually includes some almost inaudible audience voices, so this might very well be a live recorded demo unearthed by the label from some defiled grave). "Sex With Succubus" flirts with some good ol' heavy metal and is the perfect turning point before the tracks that form last year's EP are unleashed to satiate an otherwise excruciating thirst.

The 2017 EP, Inhabit the Corpse, is just glued to the previous recording without flourishing production tricks, this is as crude as it gets. As the deranged piano of "Blood On My Shroud" bleeds its last notes, I can’t help but hovering my finger over the first track to start the ride one more time. Manifestations' short runtime is as inviting as the Devil’s touch. Phantasmagorical growls and old school punk drum beats combine with the harsh sound of first wave black metal bands like Morbid or early Sodom to form a a frenzy rollercoaster on the nostalgia wagon. Hopefully this is not the last "manifestation" of the Devil Master, and some new material follows-up soon. I am, certainly, left wishing for more.

Ioanna Gika ThalassaHellripper Black Arts and Alchemy
Deafkids MetaprogramaçãoElizabeth Colour Wheel Nocebo
Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard Yn Ol I AnnwnDevil Master Satan Spits On Children Of Light

November 2nd 2018

I am strangely hooked to this, jam here, it's a short and fun ride:

Digging: Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits

Papa Universe

20586 Comments

oh this thing. should probably listen...
devil POSer

Digging: Haimad - The Return

November 2nd 2018

You will like this on a 7.5/10 scale I predict Paps. Tx for the possss.

Papa Universe

20586 Comments

I shall heed to yon prediction.

November 2nd 2018

I shall wait thou's judgement while cooking this pot of skulls and rotten rat meat.

BlushfulHippocrene
November 3rd 2018

Really fantastic review, Manu. A couple silly, minor suggestions: the latter half of "no flourishing production tricks, this is as crude as it gets" would make a very strong sentence on its own IMO; and I think " I can’t help to" would read better as "I can't help but". But otherwise, great, great job -- one of the best I've read from you, and that's saying a lot.

November 3rd 2018

All fixes applied! Always thankful for your advice Blush, my man, you know it.

tyman128
November 3rd 2018

great review Dew, glad to see your back and reviewing again consistently

manosg
November 3rd 2018

Great read Dewi, looks like something that I would enjoy. I mean just the Motorhead mention is enough.

November 3rd 2018

Thanks tyman, I wouldn't say consistently yet since I only wrote a couple but will try to keep the pace ;)

And appreciate it manosg, I may have name dropped quite freely up there but some of the galloping beats of the 'head are there... along with other stuff lol

November 3rd 2018

This is the content I live for.

Digging: Jakuzi - Hata Pay?

Filthy m/

November 4th 2018

I like self titled a whole lot.

November 4th 2018

Yeah man, "The Devil Master" is awsm, "Sex With Succubus" is prob my favorite.

AdolfChrist

AdolfChrist

20673 Comments

this is fuckin awesome.

November 5th 2018

Told ya!! It's so like... straightforward, and nasty, and fun.

I need band shirt.

November 5th 2018

Your wish is my command, m'lord: