Cult Leader
A Patient Man

by Xenophanes STAFF
October 29th, 2018 | 215 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cult Leader eschew conventions with “A Patient Man,” yielding an album of two halves and one spirit.

A Patient Man is the last opportunity to talk about Gaza--that’s it, it’s done. The shadow of Cult Leader’s former band/moniker looms over them no longer. What they have managed to do in their two-album run is create an identity that is wholly their own by producing some of the most hard-hitting and infectious heavy music out there. Gaza are officially dead. Long live Gaza.

Cult Leader’s sophomore record A Patient Man is one hell of a heavy slice of music. The metalcore/sludge/death concoction is just as effective as ever, with a near-constant barrage of the grimiest and murkiest work put to tape this year. But with “To: Achlys,” “A World of Joy,” and the title track, Cult Leader have taken risks by working with a near strictly melodic palette a la “Cruel Bloom” from Converge’s Axe to Fall. Each is haunting in its simplicity and shows a band willing to step outside its “plug-and-chug” formula. The thick and smoky atmosphere the band employes works well alongside the aural assaults of songs like “Craft of Mourning” and “Share My Pain,” especially when the two styles meet in the very effective “A World of Joy.” Typically when heavy bands turn out tunes likes those that make up half of A Patient Man, the word “maturation” gets thrown around, as if heavy music cannot be inherently mature. Cult Leader throw those sentiments out the window. Some of the album’s most revelatory moments are those found in the most oppressive sonic torrents. Cult Leader expertly give their songs depth while still making them feel unrelenting.

A Patient Man iis a heavy album recorded in God City Studios. Unfortunately that speaks volumes because its production is nigh indistinguishable from dozens upon dozens of other records. It’s clean and polished in ways few others could manage, but any sort of soul has been spread very thin. Most would never care but it’s worth noting for those who suffer from Kurt Ballou fatigue. Yet small personal issues do not detract from what is otherwise a refreshingly refined record of two halves--one earthy and melodic, the other dark and oppressive. While the jarring distinctions do not always work, when everything comes together perfectly there’s nothing else like it this year.

Sigh Heir to DespairURSA Abyss Between the Stars
Daughters You Won't Get What You WantCoheed and Cambria The Unheavenly Creatures
SUMAC Love In ShadowRebel Wizard Voluptuous Worship of Rapture and Response

October 29th 2018

I think I’m all caught up on my dibs now

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

BigPleb
October 29th 2018

Gah, after that single I was expecting something better than your review suggests.

Still, great write-up.

hogan900

damn only a 3.6 :/
and yeah great review, will still check out since their last outing was sick.

October 29th 2018

Tbh I predict this will get a slightly higher avg score. However a 3.6 is “great” and this album is as such.

dbizzles
October 29th 2018

They have a hit and an absolute whiff-and-fall-on-the-ground-still-swinging with the singles, imo. Looking forward to the 'plug and chug' but, not excited for the rest.

Digging: El-Ahrairah - The Blessing

Relinquished
October 29th 2018

I'm down for the two sides, I dug em on the last one enough. "I Am Healed" still remains one of my top tracks this year.

BigPleb
October 29th 2018

Never even jammed these guys and that song floored me.

Evreaia
October 29th 2018

Did not know this band was releasing something new, quickly looked up both singles.

God damn, I nearly missed out on a beauty.

October 29th 2018

this album was my biggest disappointment of the year, three of the slow tracks were an absolute slog for me

Digging: Milanku - Monument du non?-?tre & Mouvement du non?-?vivant

Kompys2000

Wtf is this out now I thought it wasn't out for another 2 weeks

DarkHorizontal
October 29th 2018

That slow single grew on me so should be cool to hear the rest. HEAL ME

Digging: Kelly Moran - Ultraviolet

SomeGuyDude
October 29th 2018

Er... where are we hearing the whole thing? It's not streaming on any websites I found.

promo access

October 29th 2018

Idk how people here are always confused about promos

supremejelly
October 29th 2018

Lord I hope "To: Achlys" is the worst of the slow-burners. That song wasn't interesting at all

Digging: Eli Keszler - Stadium

October 29th 2018

@supremejelly: good news is that it is the worst of the slow-burners, bad news is that there are other slow-burners

dbizzles
October 29th 2018

I just want forest fires.

XingKing
October 29th 2018

3.6? Damn, I was expecting this to be top ten of the year status. Cautiously optimistic now

supremejelly
October 29th 2018

Ugh.."A Patient Man" I will need to be to get through those I imagine (thanks I'll be here all week)

October 29th 2018

Each of the slow tracks sound alike but “A World of Joy” has a great finale