Into Eternity
The Sirens

by XfingTheSullen USER (54 Reviews)
October 26th, 2018 | 47 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fans, you can relax. It's better than The Incurable Tragedy.

Into Eternity finally release an album after ten years of waiting. It's difficult to completely grasp why it took them so long, though unfavorable arrangements with record labels and a string of life tragedies definitely played their roles. A significant portion of The Sirens has been written for years prior to release, with "Sandstorm" released as a single as early as 2011. So is an album full of songs from the back-burner any good, especially after an underwhelming and too-depressing-to-enjoy The Incurable Tragedy"

Hellz yeah.

To get the elephant in the room out of the way: transitioning to being a female-fronted band hasn't affected Into Eternity negatively in the slightest - Amanda Kiernan is actually amazing, both live and on record. And even if her voice isn't your bag, band leader Tim Roth is as eager as ever to jump in with supporting vocals (as are other current and past band members). At the end of the day, The Sirens contains copious doses of everything anyone could like about Into Eternity, and that's what matters. It might perhaps not be quite as strong as Buried in Oblivion overall, but it is a definite return to form after the album from ten years ago. Overall impressions include an abundance of catchy and rewarding melodies, great songwriting, strong dynamics and unprecedented heaviness (with the most blast beats on an album to date).

In terms of tone, The Sirens borrows from Into Eternity's three most successful albums in varying proportions, differing from song to song, so nostalgia-driven fans will definitely feel right at home. While there are only eight songs on the album, on average they are longer than ever with most clocking in at around 7 minutes. That gives plenty of room to try sprawling song structures and interesting dynamics, surpassing most of Into Eternity's earlier material. A definite highlight is the mostly slow track, "Nowhere Near", which is arguably the strongest song on this record, and one of the band's best ever. Showcasing Amanda Kiernan's not inconsiderable vocal talent, the track is reminescent of earlier slow songs, most particularly "Surrounded by Night", but better, more poignant and with an amazingly emotional ending. Most bands don't have the balls to go all-out on their slower tracks in a misguided attempt to "stick to the convention", but Into Eternity show that placing two opposite extremes beside each other can lead to spectacular results - the track doesn't even require lyrics to convey the dynamics of depression and its desperate struggle to find a shred of positivity in life. Another interesting song is "Devoured by Sarcopenia", which immediately draws a comparison with "Spiralling Into Depression", though is again arguably stronger, with a catchier and more rewarding chorus melody for one thing.

All the other tracks have something to offer too, which makes the album strong overall. The problem with it, though, is the amount of material that we'd already been exposed to before release. "Sandstorm" and "Fukushima" have been on youtube as singles for seven years, and "This Frozen Hell" has been available in live version for four. In addition, we got an early teaser of "The Fringes of Psychosis", so someone who has been following the band during their release downtime will only have four new songs on this album to enjoy. This naturally creates the problem of skipping the tracks you already know in favor of the new ones, making the album difficult to enjoy as a complete entity. This effect is quite heavy with The Sirens given how old the material on it really is, but hopefully it will fade in time, as it always does.

To be fair though, this isn't the album's only problem. Many listeners have pointed out what is in their perception amateurish production, especially on the drum side. In my opinion it is nowhere near as jarring as St. Anger's trashcan lid snares, but the more sensitive listener might find it detracting from the listening pleasure.

Overall though, Into Eternity have delivered a return that should let all their fans look to the future with optimism. Tim Roth's songwriting game has definitely returned after 2008's slump, so let us all hope The Sirens turns out to be something like Into Eternity's The Panic Broadcast and mark the beginning of the band's another golden age.

Keep of Kalessin EpistemologyShadow of Intent Primordial
The Schoenberg Automaton ApusDivinity The Immortalist
The Arcane Order Cult Of NoneSolution .45 Nightmares in the Waking State, Pt. 2
good

Nocte
October 28th 2018

Review has me tentatively optimistic, will spin tonight.

October 28th 2018

they seriously named a song The Scattering Of Ashes...

Digging: Slowdive - Souvlaki

October 28th 2018

Won’t believe that this is any good until I hear it myself. Will jam soon. m/

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

October 28th 2018

I'm listening to it now and it's already pissing me off.

Stu > Amanda 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

Fuck.

October 28th 2018

"Fans, you can relax. It's better than The Incurable Tragedy."

No. There is nothing about this that is better than The Incurable Tragedy, at all. Also, The Incurable Tragedy is not that bad of an album whatsoever, especially compared to this. This is horrible. Vocals are at 2% volume and DAW drums with Roth's basic solos, which are lacking in many areas here from his other works. Regurgitated acoustic passages from Buried In Oblivion and Dead Or Dreaming makes me cringe. Nowhere Near? More like hybrid Buried In Oblivion/Surrounded By Night. "Agony" yeah we've heard it before dude. Also, The Incurable Tragedy is a great album, this is not. The Scattering Of Ashes as a song title as a 3 min intrumental is lunacy. Band shit the bed and this is unlistenable. ez 2.0

Oh pos'd for the review though, that was a good writeup and glad to see other IE fans here.

October 28th 2018

Well, most will disagree with you about The Incurable Tragedy but whatever your bag is mate

This album does feel derivative in places, but keep in mind it was written in like 2010. Personally I don't mind the self-ripoff here, I care only about having more enjoyable material, which this album definitely provides IMO. With Into Eternity "more of the same" is a good thing

October 28th 2018

The Incurable Tragedy is literally one of the worst albums ever made. If this is worse I will be shocked.

October 28th 2018

Listen to me right now. For all that is holy and pure in the universe. You NEVER ever ever disrspect The Incurable Tragedy ever again! You hear me Hawks? For the love of God I will destory you in a very subtle way which would ultimately result in us still being friends and laughing about it but still, LAY OFF!

October 28th 2018

Just becuase that album is about terminal cancer and was born of feelings of grief doesn't mean you are obligated to give it a free pass. That is one of its problems actually, it's too sad. Into Eternity's usual depression songs are indeterminate and vague, about just depression generally, while that album is about having to deal with being about to die, there's nothing bleaker than that

also the riffs and vocal lines aren't very good

October 29th 2018

Not to mention the production on that album is one of the worst production jobs on any album ever.

October 29th 2018

Yeah, so this is like an easy 3.3 IMO, though I do have an extreme soft spot for this band

Nocte
October 29th 2018

Feeling only frustration on this release, not what I want.

October 31st 2018

Dunno, this didn't really reek of frustration at all IMO. I'm really enjoying most of the songs and they're playing in my head constantly, which means this album did at least some things right :P

Piripichotes
November 15th 2018

Time Immemorial is one of my fav tunes ever. Come at me.

TheSpirit
November 15th 2018

the incurable tragedy fucking sucks

Digging: wellspring - iris's room

zaruyache

20387 Comments

no clue how i missed this release. ten years of waiting and seems like zero fanfare.

Digging: Forest - Like a Blaze Above the Ashes

November 15th 2018

Prob cause of how bad the last album was lol.

November 18th 2018

Yea, this band used to be quite popular around here, dunno why so few album ratings 'n shit