John Maus
Songs

by Pheromone USER (16 Reviews)
October 21st, 2018 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: They sure are, John!

Songs is a bleak contradiction to the pink hue sported on the album cover. Where that initial atmosphere feels serene and vibrant, the album itself is twisted and contorted, a dark ride through the mind of our tortured protagonist. Instrumentally, there are certainly some broad spots of delightful synth-pop worthy of this vibrant hue (for example, the ethereal instrumentation in Through the Sky’s For You which is absolutely gorgeous). However, it’s the perverse nature of the lyrics, the often-uncomfortable atmosphere, the dark-baritone groans of near-insanity from our conductor which stand tall, juxtaposing this bright art. Touted here are particularly poignant lines such as ‘sex inside of car, sex with movie star, sex with Ringo Starr’ or a personal favourite of mine, ‘oh my, grandmas peed her pants again, oh my, grandmas peed her pants, and I got it on my hand’. Maus was destined for poetic paradise. Each song on the album is so delightfully twisted and original in its own standout way, Just Wait Till Next Year is the perfect example of this gorgeous, but perverted sound working in all aspects; the production and instrumentation here are eerie, the lyrics dark and the vocals’ perfectly unperfect. It’s a formula which keeps the album separate from all others, a truly esoteric sound, unlike any other.

It’s quite amazing how throughout the entire 16 song journey, no song really stands out as not worthy of its place here. Sure, some songs shine brighter than others. Songs like Time to Die, Maniac and the aforementioned Just Wait Till Next Year belong in the same top tier of Synth-Pop worship which inspired this album, but they all have their place. [i]Songs[i] is genuinely beautiful at times; conceptual grandma piss and all its dirt aboard, the synth-induced train ride through sonic insanity is one worth hopping on.

Marvin Pontiac The Legendary Marvin Pontiac- Greatest HitsThe Jim Yoshii Pile-Up It's Winter Here
Sleater-Kinney Call the DoctorCapital STEEZ AmeriKKKan Korruption Reloaded
The Wrens Secaucusee Ramadan

October 21st 2018

A short review for one wacky album! Needed a place to quote the lyrics on this

Digging: Lagwagon - Let's Talk About Feelings

October 21st 2018

Dude's got some nice songs here and there

Digging: NECRY TALKIE - ZOO!!

October 21st 2018

Yeah for sure, this is on the lower end of 4 but it’s still crazy good. Just Wait Till Next Year is an all time fav

December 6th 2018

oh oh I had a dream last night and you were in it

December 17th 2018

ITS TIME TO DIE

yo @ the random neg

DoofDoof
April 2nd 2019

Didn't know you are a Maus fan nice, not listened to this one

April 2nd 2019

Won’t lie, I’ve only actually given the other ones a quick glance. Love this though, maybe we should both spin the respective Maus albums. Which ones your favourite?

DoofDoof
April 2nd 2019

'We Must Become...' is the one I know the best and is a near-classic no less - 'Moon' is one of his best tunes

cordwainerbird
November 15th 2019

just wait til next year is SO good, definitely the highlight here

Digging: My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - Confessions Of A Knife

momentsofclarity
November 15th 2019

believer's bass line/synths are rad. but everything else ive heard has been hard to get into haha

January 28th 2020

oo oo id cut off all my fingers just to touch you

oo oo you stupid bitch you mutilate my soul

September 1st 2020