John Carpenter
Halloween (2018)

by Simon CONTRIBUTOR (225 Reviews)
October 19th, 2018 | 308 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It all comes full circle.

Another Halloween reboot. Hollywood continues to prove its creative bankruptcy to the moviegoing cynics by green-lighting another familiar big brand name. But with this rendition of the Halloween timeline, which scraps the flabby baggage of any film post-1978 classic, there was something particularly classy about the way it was being handled – made all the more intriguing when the man himself, John Carpenter, signed up to compose the score for what would be the new “follow-up” to his original movie. His name tagged to the score brought a lot of closure and validation to the film, where most would have condemned it next to another Saw sequel otherwise. I’ve literally just got back from the theatre and enjoyed the film quite a bit, but if there was one aspect of the movie that undeniably grabbed my attention, it’s this goddamn soundtrack. I mean, Carpenter has shown an astonishing amount of creative energy the last 3 years; two solo records, a number of world tours and now he comes full circle to the horror film that defined his career, and, ironically, a movie score that just about defines Carpenter’s craft to the tee in the music field. Of course, I definitely feel Cody Carpenter, John’s son, plays an essential role in refining John’s artistic visions. I really believe it’s why his solo records have been so engaging and contemporary sounding, whilst maintaining his signature elements – and this is no different.

Contemporary is an important word for this score as well, as it plays an important role throughout. Taking the instantly recognisable theme tune and using it as a motif for this soundtrack, it runs wild with wonderful modern-day production choices and sounds that make it the definitive listening experience. You’ll hear that piano sequence a lot, but it throws countless curve balls into the works: moodier overdubs; a juxtaposition of other instruments forming new and exciting dynamics to the classic piece; or just outright getting as creepy as they can with it. “Prison Montage” shows an overwhelmingly dense number of epic swells and watery textures that form a haze, but the track still maintains its focused melody in a way that is acknowledged but evolved 40 years on. “Michael Kills Again” shows its brilliance with minimalism, which hears a booming distorted guitar chord and frantic closed high-hat taps that sound distressed, capriciously cutting out and shifting into the sound of a bass kick that represents a heartbeat and Halloween’s renowned high frequency synth screeches. It’s probably my favourite track here simply because of how effectively well it’s composed. “Say Something” and “Ray’s Goodbye”’s haunting synth underbellies deliver the same ominous stalker feelings Brad Fiedel’s excellent Terminator soundtrack offered, only intermingled with elements reminiscent of It Follows' homage to 80s scores.

Case in point, this record is a joy to sit through. There’re so many moments that subvert your expectations on where the tracks will go, and more to the point, it does a stellar job of keeping you on edge. Yeah, Halloween 2018 sits more snugly in the contextual confinements of the movie, where it really flexes its worth, but enjoying this LP on its own shows just how formidable the Carpenter duo is at the minute. Not only does the film deliver to its fans, this soundtrack elevates the movie and continues to show how hungry 70-year-old Carpenter is in 2018.

FORMAT//EDITIONS: DIGITAL/̶/̶C̶D̶/̶/̶V̶I̶N̶Y̶L̶

PACKAGING: N/A

SPECIAL EDITION: N/A

ALBUM STREAM//PURCHASE: http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/halloween-soundtrack-2018/

Architects Holy HellThought Gang Thought Gang
Tenacious D Post-ApocalyptoThe Prodigy No Tourists
Black Sheep Wall I'm Going to Kill MyselfGreta Van Fleet Anthem of the Peaceful Army
trending other albums

Golden Hour

Aviary

Konoyo

Suspiria

October 19th 2018

One of the worst movies I've seen in recent years

Soundtrack is great though

Digging: Lil Peep - Come Over When You're Sober Pt. 2

October 19th 2018

woah, really? I thought it was pretty good.

October 19th 2018

Come on Treb don’t be that guy.

Digging: Senses Fail - Life Is Not a Waiting Room

BlackwaterPork

Superb review

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic

awh, cheers buddy

October 19th 2018

treb is right about the soundtrack being better though

October 19th 2018

Don't act like I'm not allowed to like some shitty horror sequel

I feel like people are praising the movie because the bar has been set so fucking low

Woah take it easy man.

October 19th 2018

The Halloween series is so overrated imo. I feel like people are rocking the nostalgia glasses when they refer to the original - or any subsequent Halloween film - as a masterpiece. It's so campy, and not in the good way. Franchise is just a major cash cow at this point. The characters and overall premise are pretty weak. Fun as a popcorn flick for newcomers to the genre, but pretty insubstantial for horror veterans

October 19th 2018

Original is my fav horror movie ever idk maybe you guys just take everything super seriously. Like a fucking slasher movie is supposed to have an in depth plot or some shit like that lol.

calmrose
October 19th 2018

original is a stone cold classic

Evrimen
October 19th 2018

Nah awful film for sure. Hereditary and The Quiet Place are amongst the better horror films to have come out this year

ButtBoy
October 19th 2018

"One of the worst movies I've seen in recent years"

Imagine having a life this coddled

PAPA ONLY LETS ME WATCH FORREST GUMP AND CITIZEN KANE

seriously, is this the first time you've been to a movie theater this year? or do you only see movies with a 95% or higher on rottentomatoes? I can't even keep track of how many legitimately dogshit movies I've seen this year

ButtBoy
October 19th 2018

but yeah, this soundtrack was amazing. turned a good movie into a great movie imo.

October 19th 2018

Well, it helps when the characters aren't one dimensional. Scream is a much better slasher that at the same time parodies slashers (because let's face it, slashers are dumb like 90% of the time). I could list so many horror movies with better plot, scares, cinematography, set pieces, practical effects, characters, etc.

October 19th 2018

Yeah see, Hereditary is a modern masterpiece, same as Babadook and It Follows (which does Halloween better than Halloween). If Halloween is your favourite horror movie of all time I have to assume it's for nostalgic reasons. I can't imagine anyone seeing it for the first time in their lives after watching some of the best movies in the genre and saying, "Halloween is def the best".

TheNotrap

Michael is back Laurie

Digging: Burning Witches - Hexenhammer

October 19th 2018

It Follows is terrible lmao and The Quiet Place is decent but it’s not special at all imo. And yeah I first saw the original when I was 6 so nostalgia def plays a factor.

Jesus Christ.

DarkSideOfLucca
October 19th 2018

I fucking need this on vinyl

"Yeah see, Hereditary is a modern masterpiece"

[2] HARD, Hereditary is deffffinitely a masterpiece imo and people underrating the fuck out of it depresses me

"The Halloween series is so overrated imo. I feel like people are rocking the nostalgia glasses when they refer to the original"

I haven't read anything this blatantly incorrect in a long while. The directing of the original is one of the best directing in horror movies. So is the build up, the tension. The halloween (holiday) atmosphere. The absolute evil that it captures. All of the trends it started which are now cliches (monster coming back to life, etc). Cinematography, JOHN CARPENTER'S SCORE, I mean I could go on forever but that original is a fucking 10/10 easy.