Rotor (GER)
Sechs

by insomniac15 STAFF
October 16th, 2018 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 20 years of German precision…

The German psychedelic/stoner rock quartet are celebrating their 20th anniversary this year and the nicest way to do it is by offering us new music. I believe there was less publicity around Sechs and it’s a bit of a shame since the record is strong (as expected). Fünf saw them branching out, including several acoustic elements and significantly layered compositions due to adding a second guitarist in the mix. Here the guys focused again on heavier parts yet the results are more diverse than on earlier efforts. Right from the beginning, ‘Falscher Dampfer’ displays playful, funky grooves accompanied by wah-drenched guitar solos. The sunny progressions are classic Rotor, just like the gritty detours they unexpectedly take. It’s cool how they manage to sound unpredictable and so familiar at the same time. The tensed, mechanical patterns of ‘Allmacht’ are engaging, but we’re soon treated to more melodic leads. These are only the build up to the pounding drums and distorted power chords that subsequently rage. The band doesn’t stop here, landing in a subdued jam instead. After a second round of anger release, ‘Fernen Liefen’ kicks in. The instruments’ interplay is often on the verge of turning dissonant, still everything is meticulously calculated. Its main riff depicts a cocky version of what we usually hear from Colour Haze these days and thankfully, they crank the volume up during the song’s final minute.

Rotor’s smooth, laid back attitude always gave their music a certain vibe and I am sure those who listened to them have later recognized these sonic trademarks no matter how far they ventured in the genre’s sonic sphere. Entering the second half, ‘Abfahrt!’ does its best to depict the aimed atmosphere. The pile driving groove toys with semi tones and the slower segments in between are thrilling. Meanwhile, the summery intro of ‘Vor dem Herrn’ easily turns into intricate noodling, before transitioning to poignant guitar solos over really tight rhythms. Every member is carefully placed to contribute his parts to the overall sound and the outcome is impressive. Closing epic, ‘Druckverband’ owes more to the wavy structure of Fünf as they leave the bass to play a circular line, whereas the guitars joining with several embellishments. After roughly six minutes, the group switches to gritty riffage, whose intensity grows with each minute. The chugging finale is menacing and at the same time, a perfect ending to Sechs. While the LP borrows features from the band’s entire catalog, it moves forward too. They have accommodated themselves perfectly as a quartet and managed here to craft visceral tunes that show how organic their formulas are after 20 years. Musically, Rotor are currently at their peak, so I hope they maintain this momentum by releasing something even better in the near future.

Crippled Black Phoenix Great EscapeReverend Horton Heat Whole New Life
Zippo Ode to Maximum (2018)The Ocean Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic
Thomas Dybdahl All These ThingsWang Wen Invisible City

October 16th 2018

The album is excellent, take some time to listen to it!

Stream/buy here: http://rotor1.bandcamp.com/album/sechs

Digging: A Swarm of the Sun - The Woods

J() Alexander
October 16th 2018

I'm gonna listen to this just because of that silly cover.

Digging: BUKKAKEXRANCH - The Sound of 28 SFW Photos of Japanese Schoolgirls

BigBlob
October 17th 2018

yeh great cover lolz

October 18th 2018

Yeah, the cover is cool. Meanwhile, more non sense from them starring the guy on the cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQB3kcGkPVg

October 18th 2018

rec it in my cram list or else I'll never get to it please

October 19th 2018

Done. There are a lot of releases this Fall, there's a lot of stuff to listen to.

chug73
October 21st 2018

ja ja gut musik

Nocte
October 22nd 2018

I feel like I should be reading a Greg84 review, I miss that guy.

Great write up inso, not sure if I feel like checking this one out with my listening schedule

October 22nd 2018

It's been quite a while since I talked to Greg. I took his seat with the stoner stuff haha. Thanks man! It's a great album, if you have some free time, listen to it.

Nocte
October 22nd 2018

Yeah if I can, stoner definitely comes in phases for me. It’s been a while since I’ve just kicked back and put an album on for gigs

Dylan620
October 24th 2018

Album cover is so bad it's good

Will check early next month after I'm done searching out spooky/creepy/unsettling/harrowing/haunting/disturbing music

Digging: The Bathers - Kelvingrove Baby

November 21st 2018

jamming this now it's so funnn

November 21st 2018

Yeah fucc this rules

J() Alexander
December 28th 2018

Some of this was alright, some of this just becomes background noise.