Twenty One Pilots
Trench

by SweeneyTodd USER (14 Reviews)
October 10th, 2018 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “The Blurryface Effect”

To start this review off, I want to talk about two things, the first being My Chemical Romance.

Back in 2006, you couldn’t escape them. Whilst their 2004 LP Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge pushed the band further into the mainstream, it wasn’t until The Black Parade that the band was solidified as a powerhouse in the emo genre. Love them or hate them, their popularity was undeniable. Along with their popularity, they garnered a great deal of hate for a number of reasons. Some hated the band purely for their sound, some for the way the band dressed, but a considerable amount was down to one thing: the fans.

Their fanbase were largely teenagers, in the age 12-17 demographic. They were seen as edgy, volatile and immature, and often very annoying. The females in particular gained quite the reputation for listening to the band purely for their physical attraction to Gerard Way and crew, which led some to believe the band were just a boy band disguised as an alternative rock band.

What does this have to do with Twenty One Pilots" Blurryface.

Fast forward to 2015, indie pop band Twenty One Pilots release Blurryface. The album is a massive hit, especially in the alternative scene. ‘Stressed Out’ was unavoidable, much in the same vain as ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’ was in 2006. Whilst Vessel was successful and garnered the band a considerable fanbase, it wasn’t until Blurryface that the bands music became truly inescapable. With Blurryface, TØP gained a huge following, many of which were/are the same demographic that MCR resonated with. Along with this, the band also received some hate, again, with a great deal of it being aimed at their fans, who like MCR’s fans, were young, impressionable and immature. The band gave their fanbase a name, “Skeleton Clique”, which only exacerbated the pack vibe their fans were already known for.

By all intents and purposes, the band had “sold out”. Every song on Blurryface received gold certification or higher, making history. The music video for “Stressed Out” has amassed 1.5 billion views on YouTube.

TRENCH is a different beast. After 3 years, the band have released what could be their greatest album yet. It’s dark, it’s grimy, and it has a much tighter sound and greater flow from start to finish. Whilst Blurryface sounded more like a collection of singles, TRENCH is gratifying to listen to from beginning to end. Starting off with the powerful and surprisingly heavy single “Jumpsuit”, the album sounds like on continuous movement, which is all the better with it being a concept album. “Levitate” features Tyler Joseph at his peak, his flow on the tracks verses are impeccable. The production on the track is stellar, with crisp beats in the background and atmospheric synths buzzing in the back. The album only has one or two missteps, the first being “Cut My Lip” which sounds like a Blurryface b-side, and a dull one at that, with the same faux reggae sound as the majority of the aforementioned LP. The closing track feels more like a halfway point than a closer, and pales in comparison to their previous albums closer “Goner”, with TRENCH ending not with a bang, but more with a whimper.

TRENCH is unlikely to reach the same commercial success as Blurryface, and that’s a good thing. Whilst the Clique will exaggerate their praise for the LP, for everyone else it’s a return to form for the band.

Falling in Reverse Coming HomeDeath Spells Nothing Above, Nothing Below
Defeat The Low A Nervous SmileBreaking Benjamin Dark Before Dawn
Dance Gavin Dance Instant GratificationThree Days Grace Human
Nathaniel (5)
Welcome to Trench...

tyman128 (5)
twenty one pilots levitate to a higher level of musical maturity...

nomiddlename (3.5)
Don't believe the hype....

Pagepage251 (1.5)
At least the album cover is really cool....

October 10th 2018

first review in a little over a year, probably got a couple of facts wrong, and i did attempt to make the album titles Italicised, but didn’t work when i pasted it from word

Digging: Twenty One Pilots - Trench

dmp3131
October 10th 2018

Agree hard with the closer and Cut My Lip. Album is really good but has a lot of low points that drag it down.

Pos'd

October 10th 2018

thanks man, i feel like i rambled on about the clique a bit too much i didn’t want this to come across as a rant

tyman128
October 10th 2018

pretty good review. The introduction is kind of drawn out and it leaves too little room for the actual music analyzation later on, but it was still good. Definitely agree with your points and glad to see them jump out of the path they were taking on Blurryface

pos

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

Darius the Great
October 10th 2018

i heard jumpsuit and it fuckin sucked

October 10th 2018

thanks tyman, and Darius, each to their own

ghost neg 1, it begins

TheSpaceMan
October 10th 2018

so i didnt neg but since someone ghost neg'd ill explain on their half

review doesnt say much about the album, forces in a needless comparison for its majority, has a consider amount of typos/grammar issues and is formatted extremely unappealingly. it just looks regurgitated. i'd recommend trying to write with a more clear direction and structure more tightly, and have someone proof read / half a bit more quality control on silly mistakes. sorry for the harsh words but its my advice

October 11th 2018

i don’t see how my comparison was needless, it’s not been said before and it needed to be said. the typos or grammar issues weren’t picked up by my spell check, and it’s ironic that you’d point them out considering your comment also contains a couple or grammatical mistakes. regurgitated implies i’ve taken someone else’s work and changed it slightly to appear as my own, which isn’t the case at all, this entire thing was written by me and me alone. the format of it is appealing to me, but i’m autistic so i don’t know if i just find things easier to read this way or what.

i agree with you on the structuring of it, i’ll admit it doesn’t flow well.

MercuryToHell
October 11th 2018

Personally, I don't feel the comparison was needless necessarily - the similarities are clear and worth mentioning.

Arcade

the UB40 of nu metal

Digging: Clarence Clarity - THINK: PEACE

October 11th 2018

"However, you've fallen into a trap (one that I'm commonly guilty of) which is spending a bit too much time talking about the context of the record and the need for the comparison, and as a result the second half of the review isn't quite as meaty as it could be - which is a shame as there are good points being made in it. "

thanks for the feedback, I agree I could have fleshed out the review of the actual album a lot more, and I was going to, this review was almost double its final length before I went and removed some stuff, I might rework the final part later on

coldheaven

Garbage

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

xBAMx
October 11th 2018

So is it weird that my old metalhead 90s grunge 50-something dad likes them? Going to call him a fan girl or a bone gang or whatever they are called haha

Snake.

20958 Comments

i hope he grounds you

neekafat
October 11th 2018

man the concept for this is so overblown

ItsTheSquirrel
October 13th 2018

The quality of the text itself is quite good but you spent over half of this review talking about the MCR comparison and Blurryface. Although it would good if the actual review was just a lot longer

Digging: Stam1na - Taival

Dylan620
October 14th 2018

"My Blood" has grown on me massively this weekend, song is a banger and a half

STAY WITH MEEEEEE

YOU DON'T

NEED TO

RUUUUUN

Poxy
October 15th 2018

Not a bad album, not a good review

Dylan620
October 16th 2018

Entire album has proven to be a grower by now - literally every track has been stuck in my head at some point over the past week or so.

"Bandito," "Neon Gravestones," "Jumpsuit," "My Blood," and "The Hype" are all some of TOP's best songs to date. Even the weaker tracks on here have at least some sort of redeeming factor.