Kero Kero Bonito
Time 'n' Place

by gryndstone USER (12 Reviews)
October 4th, 2018 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: just a little unwell

The opening moments of Time 'n’ Place made me do a double take - I wouldn't be surprised to hear most people had the same reaction. The tonal shift between everything Kero Kero Bonito has done before, the opening track, and the one that follows perfectly encapsulates what's going on here. The group has always been just left of center in its pop styling, maybe a little too sweet here and there, but following a general formula. But Time 'n’ Place throws caution -and predictability- to the wind. See, KKB has added two things that make their third offering a growth moment - guitars and mental health issues.

And boy do they use those guitars to their benefit! The wall of sound guitars that usher in the album on opener ‘Outside’ are a statement, and it sticks. Whether they’re used to dreamy effect or to add a heavier rock sound, the guitars are never a detriment to Time ‘n’ Place. They along with the synths provide wonderful instrumental highlights across nearly every track. All these tracks are peppered with some pretty experimental stuff (in relation to the band, of course). One breaks down into a stuttering, kind of terrifying mess. Another finds Sarah’s voice being drowned out by electronic noise. ‘If I’d Known’ has a dirty, dissonant guitar solo that I can’t stop thinking about. Listening to this trio go from rot-your-teeth saccharine sweet bubblegum pop to experimental indie band is wild in the best of ways. Going from tracks with perfectly rigid pop structure to doing things like letting your vocalist take the backseat to random noise shows guts, and pulling it off well shows talent.

But it wouldn’t all be as effective if we didn’t look at the songwriting. The band has gone from songs about taking a break, waking up in the morning, and hearing a song on the radio to dealing with anxieties about mortality, reflecting on personal identity, and depression. It’s not that these are unique topics. It’s that the band keeps just enough of those sunny instruments around to give off this...I don’t know - it’s not that it’s dissonant or anything. It’s more like the songwriter is accepting the melancholy and facing it head on, trying to push through. Time ‘n’ Place is working through the issues its presenting. Bright spot ‘Sometimes’ is ‘hang in there’ put to music, and that’s the point. ‘Sometimes’ life is *** for one reason or another, and sometimes it’s not. It’s feeling unwell and unsure, it’s feeling worried for someone, it’s feeling afraid of reality. But it’s all the opposite of those things too. Maybe you have to swim to get there, and you can’t just dream it away. Maybe you have to fight to feel at peace, or face reality. But you can do it. Kero Kero Bonito thinks you can.

Kylie Minogue FeverTaylor Swift Reputation
Matt and Kim We Were the WeirdosJoywave How Do You Feel Now?
Mika No Place in HeavenNate Ruess Grand Romantic
chris. (4.5)
drifting; everybody gets the blues sometimes...

TOTEP

Bonito Generation

gryndstone
October 3rd 2018

hey if everyone could just uhhhhh listen to this

FreddieDelaney31
October 3rd 2018

Been very intrigued by the things I've seen said about this, gonna check tomorrow
Great review bud

Digging: Life - Demo II

McTime50
October 4th 2018

Good review dude, this is needs so much more attention

Digging: The Story So Far - Proper Dose

gryndstone
October 4th 2018

Make Believe is such a slapper

GooGooGajoob
October 5th 2018

Holy fuck was this a switch up on their sound. What's weird is we knew they were capable of this!

Digging: The Voidz - Virtue

MaskAtTheMasquerade
October 5th 2018

aw man i gotta check this asap!

October 6th 2018

19105 Comments

this album is very good and i do like it a lot

Zeneren
October 7th 2018

Digging this, love the throwback shoegaze vibes of Flyway

Digging: Eli Keszler - Stadium

GooGooGajoob
October 7th 2018

This needs to be trending. This is the absolute bomb!

luci
October 7th 2018

the singles are great but not finding the rest too memorable. prefer the furious catchiness of their debut

rabidfish

^^ pretty much agreed.

tho i gotta say, they've come off really bold in this one. New genres, new ideas, a strong will to experiment instead of pleasing a consolidated audience. I'm for sure waiting eagerly for what they'll come up with next.

Digging: Pussy Galore - Exile on Main Street

19105 Comments

i get a spontaneous erection when the guitar in only acting kicks in after the slight earrape

make believe might be in my top 3 songs of 2018

Anthracks

kyute

Digging: Deathhammer - Chained to Hell

Zeneren
October 8th 2018

Ah, I really love this. It’s got the mix of funny poignant lyrics, nostalgia, catchy melody that really hits the spot. While I liked KKB for a few select super fun cheesy singles before, their maturity and refinement really shines through for something much more compelling here. So I could say I’m the opposite of you luci..

zaruyache