Tim Hecker
Konoyo

by Aaron W. STAFF
October 1st, 2018 | 52 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's all too beautiful.

Konoyo, in a way, looks just like its cover. Surrounding a falling electric piano and many objects and fire strewn about in a cluster, the image that one sees is much like the sound of the album it houses. It suggests at something confrontational, perhaps something lurking beneath the exterior and just waiting to burst out; and yet it hints at something oddly violent, but with an admirable restraint behind it. The sound of Konoyo reflects more or less on the heavy Gagaku (Japanese classical music) influence, as well as the great usage of electroacoustic elements within the album's sonic palette. I won't claim to be an expert nor a massive fan of Tim Hecker's works; I've only been somewhat of a fan for a short time, and even in the extended period of time I've had to reconcile the ideas and the shift in tone from his last record Love Streams, there's something wildly impenetrable in these solemn and ponderous soundscapes. There's a certain spirituality in this album that very much lends itself to the augmentation of sparse strings and gliding electronics, ranging from mere introspection to something very existential, whether it is being left out for all to see or to be hidden beneath a mass of mutated, glacial sounds.

Konoyo doesn't open itself to others quite easily nor was it meant to be. But in such difficult and abstract works, the effort to piece together an idea of the artist's intentions and thoughts is all the more satisfying than being given the answer on first glance -- "This Life," for how slow of an introduction it is, sets the mood marvelously for Hecker's most reflective music yet, but doesn't do as much as allow one to be eased into the lonesome world of Konoyo. Nor would one listen do a listener any good. The value in returning to Konoyo lies not in its accessibility (or the lack of) but in the beautiful ways it transports one to a different place, whether it be frightening or melancholic to this person. Konoyo is a heavy album, emotionally speaking, in a way that is difficult to explain, yet can be expressed in a way that only someone like Tim Hecker would know. By destroying, contorting and reconfiguring these sounds, Hecker draws out the most visceral emotions in himself via soundwaves -- his music being his therapy, and us, the audience, being his witness to his solemn excursion into his very soul. It's all too beautiful.

Keith Fullerton Whitman GeneratorAnimal Collective Tangerine Reef
Boris Akuma no UtaDerek Bailey Aida
Pram Dark IslandBeach House 7
MadKungFu (4.5)
Tim Hecker crafts his finest work this decade...

i've lost my touch

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Delta Momma Blues

Fripperelli.

I'll read this & tell you you haven't lost a step.

Digging: Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

September 30th 2018

"The sound of Konoyo reflects more or less on the heavy Gagaku (Japanese classical music) influence, as well as the great usage of electroacoustic elements as well within the album's sonic palette."

That double "as well [as]" sort of reads awkward. Could probably do without it the second time.

Also, I'm thinking maybe the opening two sentences could be merged into a more fluid statement of how the album cover matches the sounds contained.

But maybe that's just me. Also you haven't lost a step.

September 30th 2018

much thanks for pointing out that goofy little gaffe

personally speaking, i could always be better, but who knows. It's not like I've lost the drive, but I definitely feel something is off.

Can't we all!

climactic
September 30th 2018

another great one, timmy can do no wrong

whoa climothy

climactic

hey dude

Darius the Great
September 30th 2018

sweet review fripp, cant wait to check this out

deathschool
September 30th 2018

Just listened to this and it’s awesome

Digging: Tim Hecker - Konoyo

Trophycase
October 1st 2018

And here I thought the keyboard on the cover was blasting off like a rocket, not falling

October 1st 2018

I actually have no clue, it could be anything for all I know.

October 1st 2018

couldn’t get into this what am I doing wrong

October 1st 2018

It's blasting off, otherwise the fire wouldn't be behind it

Trophycase
October 1st 2018

"couldn’t get into this what am I doing wrong"

right there with you man, and I love mr. hecker. Giving this probably another 4 or 5 listens just cause I like his other work so much, but this walks some weird border between good and unlistenable for me.

JK starting to grow

JS19

No this is brilliant

Digging: Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - King of Cowards

NoSons
October 1st 2018

a Tim Hecker record AND a Jon Hopkins record all n the same year? FUCK YES SUBSCRIBE ME. this is awesome.

Digging: Brockhampton - Iridescence

MO
October 1st 2018

yea this is really damn good. nice

Eons
October 1st 2018

I'm gonna listen. I saw Needledrop give one of the songs a meh review or whatever.

robertsona
October 1st 2018

The progression of Hecker’s career from ravedeath to virgins to this is so interesting: as the pitchfork review pointed out, he’s more interested than ever in pointing up the source material of the sounds he produces, sort of like a visual artist stripping back elements of abstraction until what’s left is the reality of the photographic image, or something...this album seems to me like maybe his best since Harmony/Haunt Me, which have always been my favorites