Hail the Sun
Mental Knife

by Claire Q. CONTRIBUTOR (51 Reviews)
September 28th, 2018 | 61 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Within the inner circle

It was inevitable that Wake would become a yardstick for future Hail the Sun releases. Its potent mixture of elegance and unearthliness (all the while packing a punch) distinguished it as a fine work of post-hardcore; furthermore, Donovan Melero’s lyrics were able to conduct a thorough survey of death, religion, and neuroses. In comparison, Mental Knife feels more intimate in scope, staying mostly within the personal realm; any etherealness comes not so much from spirit (or contemplations of what is greater than us) than from mind - equally seeming to lack tangibility, yet infinitely more trapping.

In short: no, Mental Knife doesn’t quite have the highs of Wake, but it features notable points of change. There are plenty of my favourite Hail the Sun-isms, updated for 2018: the unbarred ferocity that is the duo of Donovan’s shrieks and his rapid-fire drum fills (particularly prominent during the closing moments of “Devotion Cuts”); the painful beauty of “On Existence” and its strategic key changes; the jazz-influenced grooves that have become a staple of the band. Also prominent are the extra-angelic backing vocals, which add a level of tenderness not heard in previous works. More electronic effects show up, generally in the form of vocal warping and warbling, but also as touches of reverberation; it’s a subtle shift in aesthetic that creates a slightly colder, darker soundscape. (Think shades of Royal Coda, if you want a comparison to another swancore band.)

Thematically, I think it makes sense for Mental Knife to show more cracks in its composure. If Wake possessed steadfast marches of protest, and Culture Scars smoothed out wrinkles, Mental Knife has a current of unease running right under the surface of its skin. The guitars scurry, punctuate, mirroring the agitation so often described; as usual, Donovan is unapologetically blunt about drug addiction and mental turmoil, and his treatment of the issues seems at least partially autobiographical. If there’s something I appreciate about Hail the Sun, it’s their ability to handle such topics with grace, a certain nobility, and that remains on Mental Knife even as the outpouring is more erratic. There’s the sense that pain has inched closer, interrupted the careful choreography that kept songs at a safer distance. That sense of urgency is evident in the chaotic, syncopated “A Lesson in Lust”, drumming patterns shifting left and right in a dexterous display.

Mental Knife is a modest evolution, an opportunity for Hail the Sun to make a straightforward re-assertion of their principles. It doesn’t lend itself to the same depth of analysis as the ambitious Wake (and sonically, Secret Wars is closer to being the spiritual successor of that album). It contains hints of the pensiveness, but not the signature restraint, of Culture Scars. Nonetheless, Mental Knife is mostly reassuring, even if it derives more of its merit from lacking obvious fault than the presentation of novel material. It’s something I’m willing to accept, at least during this point of Hail the Sun’s trajectory.

Enon High SocietyNight Verses From the Gallery of Sleep
Colour AnthologyBaptists Beacon of Faith
A Beacon School ColaRoyal Coda Royal Coda

SteakByrnes

Excellent review and I agree with this 100% :]

Digging: Polyphia - New Levels New Devils

Hopelust
September 28th 2018

I want to like these dudes... I really want to.

EDIT: great review!

KenboSlice

This is super hot fire

TheSpirit
September 28th 2018

very good review but like hopelust i just can't get into these guys. i think donovan operates much better in sianvar

GreyShadow
September 28th 2018

yeah, great review. those last two sentences really sum this album up in the scope of their discography.

I'm feeling a 3.8 with this

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

supremejelly
September 28th 2018

Another great review. Agreed with pretty much everything. I really dig the additional vocal effects, Donovan knows how to use them well.

"There’s the sense that pain has inched closer, interrupted the careful choreography that kept songs at a safer distance." - should "interrupted" be "interrupting" or am I reading that wrong?

Digging: Black Peaks - All That Divides

ProjectFreak
September 28th 2018

gosh I love that Sputnik still has someone consistently writing grade-A prose about swancore

also the end of A Lesson in Lust is absolutely nuts

September 28th 2018

@supremejelly I have an annoying habit of not using an auxiliary for past tenses when listing things, so it's technically supposed to be interrupted but interrupting would be prettier

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Digging: portrayal of guilt - Portrayal of Guilt

enjoyed the title track

Ebola

Feeling a 4.5. Like this more than Secret Wars

Digging: Horrendous - Idol

JustJoe.
September 28th 2018

I unintentionally just learned something about the english language.

Nomos2
September 28th 2018

Too bad it's got Breaking Benjamin album art, because this is my favorite stuff they've ever put out.

September 28th 2018

I was wondering why they didn't go with the handdrawn art used before

impoppy

2082 Comments

Looking forward to checking this out. I kinda like the oscilloscope artwork.

SteakByrnes
September 28th 2018

I like the art, just would've preferred more hand-drawn shit

JoshGray672
September 28th 2018

Great review, thought the album itself was a bit predictable but still solid as fuck.

Digging: Rav - Beneath The Toxic Jungle

GreyShadow
September 28th 2018

Predictable and solid as fuck is about right.

A Lesson In Lust and Devotion Cuts are looking like at least top 10 HTS songs

I love Devotion Cuts, definitely one of HtS's finer moments

also, has anyone noticed some changes in Donny's singing? feels a bit more delicate at certain moments

DreamAgain