Elder Brother
Stay Inside

by Josh USER (16 Reviews)
September 25th, 2018 | 49 replies

Release Date: 05/18/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A slow record with its head in the clouds.

Elder Brother is a relatively unknown band despite having two records out and an EP, but despite this they had managed to learn from the failings from their first record, Heavy Head, which could be seen as a softer general pop punk record. But Stay Inside is so much more than that and it's an immediate classic. The album kicks off with the instrumental track Greatest Hit, which has a slow piano and has a stressing ambient atmosphere surrounding it which sets the tone for the rest of the record.

It's hard to say what the rest of the tracks remind me of or what to even compare them to, because it's like wish fulfillment. No Reason has amazing restrained vocals with a steady build up that leads into the chorus, with the drums being audible and the lead singer's voice shaking and then IMMEDIATELY hitting the second verse. The lyricism is simple but effective.

You & Me Forever talks of a relationship, with the two parties "sharing medications" but it still manages to be quite the somber love song. It's nostalgic somehow, and it helps build the theme of drug abuse and love lost in the upcoming song, Sway, which is probably the most outstanding track on this album. It's very slow up and talks about opiate addiction, but manages to give off quite the hopeless feel until the vocals are strained near the end, giving off just how desperate this man is to be free.

Unnatural History returns back to the simplicity of No Reason, but with lyrics like "the spiders are taking bets, like they know something I don't" with the ambient tone of the guitars, and just how raspy the vocals are, it's practically perfect.

Weak Days reminds me of their debut album but in a good way, talking about a simple relationship, reflecting back on things he and this woman used to do. It talks about how he made a mistake in showing affection and how he's trying not to miss the bond, and still wants it. Probably one of the more 'weak' songs, but it's still outstanding in its own right.

Coming off of their EP, Wish You Were Here deals with the indecisiveness of wishing that someone was still around but overall it's a good thing that they are gone from their life - or maybe they could disappear themselves. The guitars and drums pick up a bit more than usual and it works out incredibly well.

Battle speaks about a battle with drug addiction, adding onto the overall theme still. Talking about how he needs to stay away until he manages to become sober, but it becomes across so hopeless. Very atmospheric with slow guitars until it eventually explodes, but even then, it stays a little somber, though the walls start to close in around you.

Earthbound talks of how life has become so awful. His relationship has gone incredibly stale or is just gone for good, and how his friends continue to die - and talks about how all of this is God's work, so nothing should be wrong.

I Don't Think It Stops is my personal second favorite track off of the record, talking about how hopeless it feels and how no matter what he does to fix anything, nothing seems to settle down. It gives off an incredibly surreal feeling as the album closes out - and hopefully this band will return for a third record soon. It's going to be almost impossible to top this release.

Recommended tracks:

Badflower OK, I’M SICKEmarosa Peach Club
Valleyheart Everyone I've Ever LovedCrazyEightyEight Burning Alive
The Threats SaboteurMakari Hyperreal
Mathias (4.5)
A humanizing soundtrack to a dehumanizing epidemic....

Heavy Head

September 25th 2018

I’m surprised this didn’t already have a review, pos.

Album kicks butt.

September 25th 2018

massively disagree about Weak Days being a weaker track, it's easily one of the best songs here. man that song makes me feel like I'm fucking floating. It's emotional, it's dreamy, and just the right mix of blues/soul.

But yeah fantastic album, I totally would have reviewed it if I realized it didn't have one. Always wish these guys would get more attention.

Slex
September 25th 2018

No Reason is still absolutely one of the best songs of the year

Digging: Common Holly - When I say to you Black Lightning

frozencarl

Digging: Shadecrown - Riven

September 25th 2018

fuck yea boys m/ see y'all in the pit

September 26th 2018

an underappreciated 2018 gem

September 26th 2018

You can definitely see some of the cues The Story So Far took from this album.

keza
November 1st 2018

This album is excellent. Reminds me of bands like Stereophonics who were big in the 2000s, and in the best way possible.

November 1st 2018

yeah very underrated. Weak Days and I Don't Think It Stops are both incredible.

November 1st 2018

this seems to be getting a little more traction than their last record at least, which i think is also pretty incredible.

Lucman
November 18th 2018

This is so good.

Digging: Jimmy Eat World - Surviving

December 22nd 2018

I'm not sure if I've ever had an album make such an immediate impact on me. I can see this moving down to a 4 eventually, but at the moment so much of it resonates with things I have going on in life that I can't stop listening.

Digging: Stuck Out Here - Until We're Each Someone Else

December 22nd 2018

hey man it's just a great album. be proud of your 4.5! Sway, Weak Days, and I Don't Think It Stops are serrrriously amazing songs and I really hoped they would get more attention for this.

December 22nd 2018

All of those songs plus Earthbound are probably my favorites! Although I don't have one I think I dislike, honestly. Hearing the progression from their first album to this one has me insanely excited. I think these guys could really turn into something special.

joshieboy
December 25th 2018

This band is so underrated. Good to see this got a review. Missed it somehow. Jammed this today and it still rules. Sway is a bloody gem.

Digging: Dayseeker - Sleeptalk

Lucman
December 25th 2018

Nice to see this getting bumped. Best emo record of the year I'd say.

December 26th 2018

I might have to agree honestly

December 26th 2018

One of those rare albums that’s great listening for all four seasons.

Edit: Or I guess I should say, seems like it would be good for all four seasons! Guess it has only been out since September, so presumably the jury will be out on Spring and Summer. But it sure seems like it would be.