Machine Gun Kelly

very poor

by Simon STAFF
September 22nd, 2018 | 29 replies

Release Date: 09/21/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Squirt Gun Kelly better lace up for a serious fall.

It’s a safe assumption Machine Gun Kelly knew exactly what he was doing when he came at Eminem with “Rap Devil”. After all, coming out with a diss track that’s aimed at Eminem is guaranteed to cause a stir amidst the rap and hip-hop communities simply because it's proven to be career suicide in the past. Releasing an EP shortly after the song is an obvious marketing ploy on his part, and certainly helps his name to get out there. Normally I wouldn’t entertain such an artist, given that I’d never heard of him prior to “Rap Devil”, nor would I have checked out Binge going off his previous works; he’s a bog-standard rapper using all the glittery production ideas contemporary trap hoards are utilising these days, and little distinguishes him from the fact. But “Rap Devil” is a good track. Auto-tune is kept to an absolute minimum, it’s raw, the beat is heavy and the chorus catchy. Compare this track to any one of MGK’s albums, or the artists he runs with, and it’s simply a breath of fresh air: he sounds hungry, sincere and his flow and the stripped back composition does all the talking for him. As a result, I was foolishly led into thinking MGK was taking a new creative direction, and reserved a little bit of anticipation for this EP. The spotlight is on him and it's time to gauge the calibre of his abilities.

The irony here is that Binge is probably the worst release he’s ever put out, and signifies his impending fade into obscurity if this is what the ’Rap Devil’ has to offer us in the future. This 9-track EP is soaked in auto-tune from the get-go and made all the more obnoxious and exhausting as he subjects the listener to the same tired, hedonistic tropes the last 30 years of hip-hop has been spewing out time and time again. Don’t get me wrong, “LOCO” and “GTS” have glimmers of potential with their heavy beats and half-decent flows, but they get bogged down by eye rolling lyrics and clichés that thwart any promise being built up. At the EP’s absolute worst, you’ll come across “LATELY” or “SIGNS” which throw out egregious amounts of auto-tune, cheap hooks and piss-weak repetitious bars that grate after about 30 seconds of listening to them. But the biggest disappointment stems from the fact Kelly sounds completely drowsy, complacent and lacking in the same edge showcased on “Rap Devil”. Bar the track in question there’s not a single song here that matches that same level of aggression and approach in his writing, and that is a seriously missed opportunity. If you’re a fan of MGK’s work already this will still appeal to you, but for anyone else outside of that niche network of fans Binge just highlights the 5 minutes of fame Kelly garnered from attacking Eminem, and will be quickly forgotten about thereafter.

FORMAT//EDITIONS: DIGITAL

PACKAGING: N/A

SPECIAL EDITION: N/A

ALBUM STREAM//PURCHASE: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/machine-gun-kelly/id465954501?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Lindemann F and MLudvig Forssell Death Stranding
Mayhem DaemonSaint Asonia Flawed Design
Desert Sessions Volumes 11 and 12Thirty Seconds to Mars This Is War
1.3
very poor

Yucky

THVRTVVN
September 22nd 2018

really wish this was even ok

still fuck eminem

Middle18
September 22nd 2018

I was also introduced to him from Rap Devil and been following the beef closely since. It's almost embarrassing how this kid thinks he is holding his own in this battle. Man Bun Kelly sit down you skinny clown.

September 22nd 2018

I can’t even take the “beef” seriously because of the gap between the two. It’s a steamroller going over a specific ant for a petty reason.

There’s no stakes, there’s no wondering what’s gonna happen next. It’s boring.

September 22nd 2018

Fight of the century: The Rapper Past His Prime VS. The Rapper That Never Had A Prime

Get your overpriced tickets now.

SymbolicInTime
September 22nd 2018

Convinced MGK slapped Rap Devil on here just to forcibly make this chart higher on the boards. But yeah this sucks. Funnily though, I thought LATELY was the only okay song on here

Digging: Turnover - Peripheral Vision

Machine Gun Smelly

Tunaboy45
September 22nd 2018

another desperate cling to his remaining relevance I see

Tunaboy45
September 22nd 2018

review sums it up perfectly

September 22nd 2018

I'd never heard of this guy until the Eminem diss so I'd say he won

Deathconscious
September 22nd 2018

Yeah, he's already said he's not gonna make a response. Good job Em, you just rewarded him with a boost in his career for taking a shit on you.

platnum

Machine gun nelly

🐎🐎🐴

LotionLord
September 22nd 2018

Holy shit, 9 tracks is an EP?

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine Gun Kelly
Lean Cuisine Kelly
Disappointing Son Kelly
Hot Cross Bun Kelly
Onscreen Fun With Kelly

Storm In A Teacup
September 23rd 2018

MGK hasn't been relevant since 2012 and hasn't done shit. Eminem is suspect even going at this dude but Em can be triggered by anyone these days it seems.

Iamthe Nightstars
September 23rd 2018

This guy was never good.

Iamthe MachineGunKelly

Source

That summary lol

Durrzo

1948 Comments

This dude is such a tool. Rap Devil is half-decent but I won't bother with this.

DrGonzo1937
September 23rd 2018

Agreed Trebor and Adolf, but exposure of this sort doesn't last long.

He had the chance to prove his worth here and he's blown it in spectacular fashion. Total garbage.