Rad Horror
The Part Where Julia Dies

by SowingSeason STAFF
September 19th, 2018 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hyper modern alternative music for the lost and lonely.

There’s something immensely satisfying about Rad Horror’s entire makeup that is a tad elusive. They’re somewhat rooted in the past; an 80’s/90’s throwback to arena and guitar rock – yet they still could not sound more modern. On a social platform, they’re left-leaning millennials who regularly speak out on behalf of furthering equal rights. Their front man – Dylan Scott – bears a striking vocal resemblance to Brand New’s Jesse Lacey, and even writes the same kind of forlorn breakup poetry. They’re certainly a little bit of everything, but a social media post made by the band only a couple of weeks ago actually characterizes them quite succinctly: “hyper modern alternative music for the lost and lonely.” I couldn’t have said it better if I tried.

The Part Where Julia Dies is the second installment in the Anti Teenage Sensation EP series, coming on the heels of the aptly titled Part 1. It’s a continuation of that sound and overall vibe, too. The album glows with the aura of late nights downtown – sex, alcohol, cigarettes – and waking up the next morning crushingly sober and alone. It also radiates hope and acceptance, like the massive sounding, riff-laden ‘Gay’ – an LGBTQ anthem of sorts. Through the ups and the downs, Rad Horror keep their music upbeat and entirely addictive.

Like Part 1 before it, the EP consists of just four tracks – but all are worth digesting. The aforementioned ‘Gay’ is a tremendous highlight, thriving on its thunderous beats and Nirvana-like electric riffs. It’s an exclamation of love and acceptance for all (“So don't you rain on my parade / My lover is gay / I'm happy for today”), and could easily be at the forefront of just about any march or movement. As critics and fans, we like to throw around adjectives like anthemic, but ‘Gay’ truly fits the bill. ‘Mad at the World’ feels like this record’s answer to the previous EP’s ‘Dark Times’, successfully implementing a quiet-to-loud formula that distinctly recalls both Brand New and Nirvana. It’s not quite as memorable as ‘Dark Times’, but it is still lyrically aching and melodically smooth – and that’s enough.

Bookends ‘Nancy Sinatra’ and ‘Narration of a Lost Millennial’ are less immediate, favoring spaced out atmospheres over huge riffs and emphatic choruses, but they’re still entirely accessible and enjoyable in their own right. The former feels right at home in the band’s self-described “music for the lost and lonely”, recounting a feeling that we’ve all had at some point or another: “it’s four o’clock in the fucking morning…what the hell am I even doing?” The closer doesn’t lose any steam, packing an entire spectrum of emotions into a tidy three minute package that includes everything from spacey/ambient instrumentals to shouts/screams in bursts. It’s an intriguing glance into a possible future direction for the band.

The Part Where Julia Dies is a worthy next chapter in Rad Horror’s progression. All of the songs here may not have the immediate distinguishability of Part 1, but they’re nevertheless emotional, relevant, and infectious – a trio of qualities that makes for great music regardless of taste. Rad Horror will be a name to remember as they make some much needed headway in a pop-culture scene that has become saturated with far too much glitz and not nearly enough substance. With an LP hopefully on deck sometime in the near future, all we have to do is smile and wait for their inevitable breakthrough.

Exit North Book of Romance and DustVessel Queen of Golden Dogs
Molly Burch First FlowerMadeline Kenney Perfect Shapes
Aphex Twin CollapseFrog Whatever We Probably Already Had It

September 19th 2018

A very quick, effortless writeup for an EP that I wanted to make sure got highlighted. Love these guys and can't wait for them to eventually put out a full-length.

Here's "Gay":

Digging: Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

onionbubs
September 19th 2018

great ep, great band, i need more of them

Digging: Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?

Feather

Girls like to cum too

Papa Universe
September 20th 2018

Must be a terrible album, if Sowing only gave it 4.0.

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic

WatchItExplode
September 20th 2018

if this is a step down from the last EP I'll pass

ButtBoy
September 20th 2018

Excited to hear how this compares to part 1. But agreed with Papa, a sowing 4 is like a butt 3

SomeGuyDude
September 20th 2018

I kinda wish some of these bands would just hang tight and release the whole thing at once instead of a string of EPs.

^me too

neekafat

Wait this is an EP? Might just check it then

September 20th 2018

Be sure to check the other EP first and foremost. It was released earlier this year and is a little better than this (they're both good though).

chaywa
September 21st 2018

(Yes, Julia could refer to anyone, but goddammit Cowboy Bebop is so damn good)

Bigpapad
September 21st 2018

Wow this was rather impressive

September 21st 2018

If you think this is impressive and haven't checked the other EP yet then please do so asap

Nikkolae
September 21st 2018

I really dug the first one, a loooooot, i will def spin this

Digging: Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime

SitarHero
September 22nd 2018

"Referencing an emotional scene from Cowboy Bebop as your EP's title is a sure-fire way to get me to give this a listen."

Pretty sure this band is too young for Cowboy Bebop.

chug73
September 23rd 2018

oof, the hype is real with this

Fort23
September 23rd 2018

That song dark times is a banger and one of these guys is from long island they cool

Wildcardbitchesss
September 23rd 2018

Wish they’d have more songs like Stay Out, idk what I think of this yet.

Calc
September 24th 2018

other EP was much more enjoyable but this isn't bad

September 24th 2018