Gas
Rausch

by Trifolium USER (5 Reviews)
September 18th, 2018 | 51 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of minimal techno/ambient’s biggest stars returns with some very effective forest exploration.

Wolfgang Voigt, mastermind behind minimal techno/ambient project GAS and one of the founders of influential minimal techno label KOMPAKT, said that his newest effort Rausch – meaning something along the lines of intoxication, but also resembling the word rauschen, rustling – should be listened to from back to back. Although he never names individual tracks on any of his releases, this statement might be very true, since the record’s seven tracks build on each other and create a state of daze.

It all starts with a sound akin to rain and wind, before giving way to an ominous drone. New to the GAS sound are scattered high hat notes, which create a loose and light atmosphere, contrasting starkly with the drone, which swells to one final blast, flowing seamlessly into Rausch 2. The well-known GAS sound is back on this track, with a thumping, muffled techno beat somewhere far away in the mix, dripping through layers of orchestra samples and synth drones. The soundscape reminds the listener of being on the campsite of a hip festival in a forest, listening to the main act’s beat reaching you from the festival terrain far away, the sound filtering through a desolate and apocalyptic haze. This same effect is reached on Rausch 5.

Voigt himself stated that with all GAS releases he wants to recreate this feeling, inspired by LSD trips he experienced in the forest near Cologne where he grew up. The steady techno beat drips up from the forest floor, filtered through layers of decaying leaves and soil. Stretches of manipulated classical music engulf the listener, creating an ominous and unsettling, even claustrophobic, atmosphere.

Rausch 3 incorporates the horn-like samples Voigt used on 1999’s Köningsforst, and flows along with the beat plodding on relentlessly, at a slow pace, and almost Bladerunner-era Vangelis synth lines stretching out to infinity, creating a deep and layered sound. The beat collapses during Rausch 4, before being reintroduced in a slightly funkier fashion in Rausch 5.

When Rausch 6 comes along, we are left with machine-like drone and some mournful trumpet sounds. The setting is very sad, in a way recreating the same feeling as Pop’s career defining last two tracks. This is GAS at his best. And when during Rausch 7 the beat comes in more clearly pronounced than all tracks before, the record reaches its climax. The beat thumps over dissonant string and horn samples, the high hats return. A dissonant note starts swelling until it becomes unbearable, and suddenly the beat falls away underneath you. The rustle dissipates into stillness. You’re left breathless, dazed, intoxicated.

Zauberberg

Pop

Narkopop

September 18th 2018

One of my faves of the year (if you couldn't tell...).

plane
September 18th 2018

I like this review. Especially with ambient music, it can become easy to just list what happens on the album, but you conjure the scenery it invokes and its relation to previous GAS albums nicely. You especially touch upon something special about this album a lot of reviews missed when they were trying to position Rausch within the political climate, which is how fleet-footed the soundbed can be despite the gloom & doom of its low end.

This album is ridiculously good, easily among my favorites of the year and within his discography. Quite the high note on which to retire GAS.

September 18th 2018

Wow, thanks plane! Appreciated!

I agree, this record is crazy good. I can easily see it ending up being this years best for me. Can't stop spinning it. Would be sad to see the project go indefinitely, but hibernation for some 17 years could indeed be for the best...

September 18th 2018

Listened to this a few times so far and enjoyed it. Listened to it before bed and haven't made it all the way through yet before I fell asleep so there's that. The album definitely sounds like the album art looks. I feel as though I'm on a wagon riding through the forest at night in the fall, and it's chilly outside. Dark but not in a depressing, creepy, or eerie way.

September 19th 2018

Nice man! It's definitely an evocative record.

Evok
September 19th 2018

Awesome review for an awesome album

Digging: Phentix - Tools

September 19th 2018

Thanks Evok! Agreed, album is amazing.

ScuroFantasma
September 19th 2018

Great review, the little I managed to hear of this last week impressed me, thanks for convincing me to revisit it asap.

September 20th 2018

Nice review bruh. I should jam this hard.

Digging: Remete (AUS) - Into Endless Night

September 20th 2018

Thanks guys! It's definitely worth checking. Still listen to it on a daily basis.

Makes the office hours pass by a lot quicker anyway...

September 21st 2018

Time for its daily bump

September 24th 2018

Deserves another bump. This record is still growing on me. Fantastic vibe and flow.

September 24th 2018

will try to give this another listen some time in the near future, though new hecker may cut into ky ambient time

September 25th 2018

I don't know Hecker. Any recs for a new listener like me?

plane
September 26th 2018

Harmony in Ultraviolet, then move forward.

More Ambient -> Radio Amor
More Noise -> Ravedeath
Mix of Both -> Harmony in Ultraviolet

About to jam this now.

Damn I’m not feeling this at all. :[

September 26th 2018

Thanks! I'll give Ultraviolet a try today.

Sorry to hear that Hawks! Did you like other GAS or is this your first?

September 26th 2018

This was my first experience bro. Sorry but this bored me to tears.

September 26th 2018

I'd still recommend listening to Pop even if you didn't like this. It's far more texturally interesting imo.