Conan
Existential Void Guardian

by insomniac15 STAFF
September 16th, 2018 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Adrenaline pumped caveman battle doom…

I had high hopes for Existential Void Guardian since the moment its release was announced. Conan got better with each LP and Revengeance was definitely the most cohesive and stirring one overall. The punishing riffs were huge and really heavy, no matter how slow or fast. Nevertheless, much like Monolord, the sludge/doom trio reached a crossroads too. I was wondering about the direction the British act would take, because being signed to a bigger label and touring constantly could lead to a bad decision like becoming more accessible. Their Swedish peers have done that on Rust to often mixed results, so the last thing I wanted was these guys to soften their sound.

Thankfully, they didn't, plus Conan didn't rest on their laurels either. At only 35 minutes, Existential Void Guardian ditches a large part of their crawling epics to focus more on faster paced sludge. Opener ‘Prosper on the Path’ kicks in like a sledgehammer with battering riffage and pounding drums. The raging vocals are a trademark already, just like the song's pile driving coda. ‘Eye to Eye to Eye’ continues the slaughter using a cool groove with several tempo drops and drum fills in between. The second half shares some hallucinatory doom progressions that would make Jus Oborn’s heart melt. Meanwhile, ‘Volt Thrower’ constantly switches from swinging to straightforward beats, whereas the guitar & bass are busy blowing the cabinets’ speakers out through fuzz drenched chords. The group also squeezed a minute-long, noise punk ditty, ‘Paincantation’ much to everyone’s surprise. They always had this energy in them, so cutting length and speeding the tempos for a prolonged while created this refreshing, adrenaline pumped monster. Even the sluggish cuts are shorter, none running longer than 7 minutes. ‘Amidst the Infinite’ and ‘Eternal Silent Legend’ will please those looking for slow burners. Both make good use of downtuned, ringing notes, the latter benefiting from Chris Fielding’s (bass) lower pitched screams. He should make more consistent appearances, because they nicely complement Jon Davis’ (guitar) higher voice. Moreover, ‘Vexxagon’ is probably the most brutal track here, boasting extremely distorted riffs, plus the halfway gear shift stomps like a boot in your face.

Surprisingly enough, Existential Void Guardian is also the easiest to listen in Conan’s catalog. Its short time span and faster paced material will surely help those who haven’t gotten into the British trio’s music or pave the way to discover other gems such as Revengeance or Horseback Battle Hammer. Also, their latest record enriches the sonic palette through its strong tracks that should be in your playlists. The band is gradually becoming one of the essential sludge/doom acts, so don’t miss out on this.

Rotor (GER) SechsThomas Dybdahl All These Things
Wang Wen Invisible CityThe Re-Stoned Stories of the Astral Lizard
Brant Bjork Mankind WomanSpiritualized And Nothing Hurt

insomniac15
September 16th 2018

Another excellent Conan album. A must listen!

'Volt Thrower' (official video) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kY8-Vhiq7w

Stream full album here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLReZbithUg

Digging: Thomas Dybdahl - All These Things

September 16th 2018

Oooh this looks interesting. Will check!

Digging: GHOSTEMANE - N/o/i/s/e

bigguytoo9
September 16th 2018

It's my fave Conan record so far.

MetalMarcJK
September 16th 2018

Rarely am I blown away by an album after only three days, and even more rare am I blown away on the very first listen. This album hit me hard on that first listen and, three days and several listens later, I am floored. This album is amazing! I can't believe that I'm 4.5'ing it after only three days, but it's just that good.

Caveman Battle Doom is back! Hail Conan!

Digging: Voivod - The Wake

Jeejee
September 17th 2018

Album absolutely rules. Best Conan record since Monnos. Also that cover artwork is some of the coolest ever.

dbizzles
September 17th 2018

Best output since Blood Eagle imo.

Rules.

insomniac15
September 17th 2018

Yeah, after a couple of listens I realized this is one of their best stuff.

Xenophanes
September 17th 2018

Skipped that last one but Blood Eagle got prettt heavy rotation from me back in 2014

Digging: Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis - Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures

DDDeftoneDDD

will do this

Digging: Parius - The Eldritch Realm

September 17th 2018

you have to love songs with titles such as "Eternal Silent Legend"

September 17th 2018

what about songs with titles such as The Fetishization ov Asian Women Despite a Demand for a Pure White Race (Outro)

not short 'n' sweet like Conan's

JS19
September 17th 2018

Band released a hell of a lot of snooze to finally make something good eh

Digging: Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - King of Cowards

deezer666
September 17th 2018

Yeah never really felt Conan at all. Hoping this changes that.

Digging: Remote Viewing - Blood Loss