Noname
Room 25

by Sebastian USER (75 Reviews)
September 15th, 2018 | 50 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "I pray my momma don't forget about me."

Room 25 is what hip-hop sorely needs from an artist right now; expansive and not afraid to try something different. Noname, ever the lyricist, sounds nothing like her compatriots, male or female alike. She opens the album rapping about her pussy teaching 9th grade English and ends the album having covered self-worth, religion, her legacy and the mark she hopes to leave behind. It’s done with an incredible smile and an even more incredible delivery; almost spoken-word eqsue, it ebbs and flows sporadically, very rarely letting up in how soothing it is, such as on the laid-back ‘Window’. The fast-paced lyrics are matched by an equally fast-paced instrumental combination that acts as almost a counter to her flow. It’s consistently off-time, and almost jazz-esque in its presentation. The live drums on a large chunk of the album add an incredible layer to each track, such as the fantastic ‘Blaxploitation’; ”I’m struggling to simmer down, maybe I’m an insomnia-black”; and harken back to jazz-inspired hip-hop albums of the past without sounding tacky. The guests she brings along are no slouches either. ‘Ace’, a severe standout, contains Saba’s best ever verse; it’s rapidfire, contemplating his last few years of success, and it’s kept together by a slow, methodical beat that lets the artists breathe and let rip. Elsewhere, solo-track ‘Don’t Forget About Me’ is easily Noname’s most emotional track; ”I know my body's fragile, know it's made from clay/But if I have to go, I pray my soul is still eternal””. Room 25 is near-perfect on all fronts, proving that Noname is not just the female voice for hip-hop, but the voice for hip-hop. She just hopes you can hear it too. And closer ‘no name’ perfectly ties it all together; ”Don’t let it pass you by.”

4.4/5

Recommended Tracks: Self, Blaxploitation, Don’t Forget About Me, Ace, no name

James Blake Assume FormThe Amity Affliction Misery
Foxing Nearer My GodDwellings Lavender Town
Death Cab for Cutie PlansThe Rubens LO LA RU

Telefone

September 15th 2018

This is easily one of the best hip-hop projects this year. Please go listen to it.

Arcade
September 15th 2018

wish she'd flow a bit more instead of just.. talking.

Digging: James Blake - Assume Form

September 15th 2018

I definitely noticed that with this album, I dug it a ton though. Can see why others wouldn't so much.

neekafat
September 15th 2018

She did the same thing on her mixtape, thought he style was much more pronounced here

also, chicago repreSENT

MagicMike1
September 15th 2018

This is amazing. Less funky female Kendrick, she has great flow and doesnt rap about her genetalia like other female rappers

luci
September 15th 2018

^ "My pussy teaching ninth-grade English / My pussy wrote a thesis on colonialism"

robertsona
September 15th 2018

ragging (ha) on women rappers for rapping about “genitalia” is dumb in itself IMO but it also definitely indicates that you’re not seeking out very many women rappers

Also what lucid “said” lol

September 15th 2018

Yeah wtf it’s even one of the first lines in my review.

FreddieDelaney31

Yeah that's dumb lol

Anyways this is easily rap AOTY for me

Digging: Hodera - First Things First

neekafat
September 15th 2018

I mean she didnt talk about her pussy much on Telefone but also she hadnt had sex yet

rabidfish
September 16th 2018

she raps like the kid she's babysitting is sleeping in the other room lol

Digging: Aunt Mary - ...A Lot More Than Just an Ordinary Ping Pong Ball

robertsona
September 17th 2018

The first song on this is so good

wwf
September 17th 2018

oo she released an album? exciting

wwf
September 17th 2018

god this shit is fire the whole way through

plane

Fucking love this

johnnyblaze
September 17th 2018

ya this rules. lots of variety. i also get kendrick vibes at times.

kmagnum1x

oh this is tasty

THVRTVVN

this is unnecessarily boring

kmagnum1x
September 18th 2018

sorry about your music taste

TheGooseTavern
September 18th 2018

This is like to pimp a butterfly part 2, but female stylings (Sputnik on that jazzy hip-hop train HARD lol). I only enjoyed the last track and ace, not a fan of her flow or the subject material, but the beats are pretty sweet. Nice review too!