Counterparts
Private Room

by Jake E. USER (1 Reviews)
September 14th, 2018 | 45 replies

Release Date: 09/07/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Short but sweet.

B-Sides are often scrapped material that an artist deems unworthy of making the final cut of an album. Or, alternatively, B-Sides can also be a form of fan service. An extra taste of what could have been. Well, as no surpise to anyone, I can safely say that Private Room is the ultimate form of the latter. Offering three new songs and clocking in at less than eight minutes, Counterparts’ new EP is a ferociously heavy, yet radiant experience that ends almost as quickly as it begins. The band has seemingly perfected their blend of melodic hardcore mixed with early-2000’s esque tributes to metalcore fathers such as Misery Signals and Poison the Well.

Private Room is a series of cuts that were made for their 2017 release You’re Not You Anymore, (except for Monument, which was originally supposed to be on Tragedy Will Find Us) but ultimately were put on the back burner until the band decided they should “see the light of day.” And holy hell am I glad they decided to make that decision. From the crowdkiller “Monument”, which has the absolute heaviest breakdown/lyrics I’ve heard from the band in a long time, “Put a ***ing bullet in my head, and dig your feet into my back before you leave” to the beautifully soaring leads of “We Forgive” this EP has everything a Counterparts fan loves, and more.

ValenDreth (1.5)

September 14th 2018

Short review for a very short EP. Also, It’s my first one! So try not to bash me too hard m8s :]

Snake.

cool

Digging: American Football - American Football (LP3)

calmrose

nice

Digging: Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Shoegazefan9789

Good work, dude!

Scoot

19489 Comments

they are the chevelle of hardcore

September 14th 2018

Thanks for the kind words guys c:

SteakByrnes

Hell yea Jay :] I still gotta peep this

Digging: Speech Patterns - Without a Sound

Spec

Good shit boys.

cloakanddagger
September 15th 2018

Yeah at this point Counterparts are to hardcore what Chevelle are for alt rock/alt metal, and ABR are to metalcore and Amon Amarth are to melodeath.

Their material isn't exactly groundbreaking but you can pretty much guarantee it's gonna be great.

September 15th 2018

Abr have been average at best for years now tho

Digging: Daniel Johnston - Songs of Pain

outliers
September 16th 2018

selfishly i sinks's breakdown fucks

Slex

PUT A FUCKING BULLET IN MY HEAD [2]

- enter bass -

Manqaness24
September 18th 2018

Counterparts B sides material still kicks ass. I honestly love ths band so damn much.

kingjulian
September 18th 2018

Damn, I feel like all three of these songs could easily replace a few tracks on their latest album. Not that any of them are bad but these songs hit me harder than a few of the previously released ones.

SymbolicInTime
September 20th 2018

These guys are so remarkably consistent

@Trebor what?? Rescue & Restore and Found In Far Away Places is some of their best work

Digging: Dayglow - Fuzzybrain

ProjectFreak
September 21st 2018

I'd consider R&R the last great ABR album and technically that was years ago so treb is correct

Digging: Infinity Shred - Forever, A Fast Life

SymbolicInTime
September 21st 2018

I thought Found in Far Away Place was just a better version of R&R but each their own