Arcane Roots
Landslide EP

by Mardorien USER (10 Reviews)
September 14th, 2018 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fitting end to an incredible era

”It is with heavy hearts, that we announce the end of this chapter of Arcane Roots.”

On the Third of September 2018, Arcane Roots announced through every channel they could that the band was breaking up. While I and many others were saddened by this apparently out-of-the-blue announcement, somehow it makes sense. Arcane Roots as we knew them, until the last year or so, were synonymous with complex, heavy math-rock and have slowly completed a U-turn to what we know today; an emotionally rich, diverse-sounding band, in which each song they make could go for subtle, electronic-heavy emotionality or for a refined version of the mathcore from Blood & Chemistry (‘Everything [All At Once]’)

’Don’t you think it’s already over¿’

Their breaking up is possibly the most important thing to consider when listening to this EP. It helps to explain the songs; how three are an electronic redux of pieces off Melancholia Hymns, majorly (or almost solely) composed and performed by Andrew Groves; and how the fourth, the title track, is musically the strongest track Arcane Roots have ever performed. It marks the end of the 180-degree turn for the band, the final step towards becoming a different band altogether from what they started as back in 2006.

’Don't think I'll ever forget all that I ever saw’

Where Melancholia Hymns was a mile away and yet just around the corner from their previous work, the Landslide EP is similarly a mile away and yet closely related to their 2017 LP. Asides from the obvious, the subject matter in the lyrics throughout this EP continues similarly, a more omniscient perspective on relevant issues of our time, but the music is almost purely electronic, the most divisive element of their 2017 masterpiece. After Landslide, I was expecting three similar songs, so when they released ‘Matter [revel]’ it was admittedly a shock to the system. Slow, meandering, the antithesis of what defined Arcane Roots. No hint of guitars, no hint of (acoustic) drums. The melodies of the chorus the only obviously similar aspect to the original song, it sounds less like a remix, and more like an entirely new track. It hardly even sounds like the same band, asides from Groves’ distinctive vocals.

’What can I say, to stay¿’

The beauty in this EP is that it not only works on its own, but it finishes off Melancholia spiritually and musically. ‘Before Me [Over]’ is the closest we’re going to get to an Arcane Roots piano ballad; ‘Off The Floor [Fade]’ sounds more like the “new” Arcane Roots version of the original, ‘Off The Floor’ which was arguably the most Left Fire-esque song on their 2017 EP. All of this with lyrics that continue to explore the same topics as the original tracks; for example what I think of as a compassionate view on refugees and immigrants in ‘Off the Floor’ and its Landslide counterpart.

’Will you show them something like they've never heard of¿’

The objectively correct word for the composition and musicality in this EP is... I suppose “underwhelming” if you’re used to Arcane Roots’ more full-on breakdown type music. Or, maybe even any of their previous work. But, with a little time, it really settles in as the subtle EP it is; what it may be lacking in shredding guitar riffs and emotive harsh vocals, it makes up for with the heartfelt and honest performance of Andrew Groves (perhaps his best to date), and the perfect production and composition of the tracks. ‘Matter [Revel]’ is the most lo-fi, never raising to the shattering heights of the original, while ‘Before Me [Over]’ is completely different in composition and slightly more like ‘Indigo’ than ‘Before Me’. ‘Off The Floor [Fade]’ uses the same semiquaver click to introduce it, and then springboards off to a completely different place. Which is even more impacting than the original.

’So don’t you save a single breath for me when I’m gone.’

Arcane Roots have run their long and fruitful course as a whole and this EP shows them reaching their destination creatively and musically. It may be that they want to go in different directions creatively, as Groves appears to have a sudden liking (and talent) for electronic music. It may be for some other reason. Nevertheless, I wish them all the best in their future endeavours. They deserve it, after this incredible 12 years. And you never know, maybe some day we will see them come together again.

Mutiny On The Bounty Digital TropicsThe Gaslight Tinkers The Gaslight Tinkers
Gold Key Hello, PhantomBlood Command Funeral Beach
Set and Setting A Vivid MemorySet and Setting Equanimity

Mardorien
September 14th 2018

I would have honestly rated this a 4.8, because it's so damn perfect. This is such an amazing EP, maybe even better than Melancholia Hymns musically. It's mesmerising.

Dewinged
September 14th 2018

I was just listening to Matter. Shame they split. Good review, pos'd.

Digging: Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses

JS19
September 14th 2018

I wish this was better because I like the direction

Digging: Leech - For Better or For Worse

sizeofanocean
September 14th 2018

I have a feeling they will reunite in the not so distant future (say 4-5 years), but the question is whether their work then will live up to any of their older EPs or LPs

inthox
September 14th 2018

sad bout the split but mb they felt theyve said everything (musically). will def listen to this

Digging: Stolas - Allomaternal

PistolPete
September 14th 2018

Great review! Been listening but this'll need some time. The longer songs are so much more sprawling and harder to absorb than their normal stuff for me.

Mardorien
September 14th 2018

inthox - maybe. It's a shame, I think this direction has some amazing possibilities. But since this seems to be mainly Andrew Groves' work, I think it would be a better solo project now.

PistolPete - I agree on how sprawling they are, it took me a few listens to digest it all properly. Same with the melodies; first off, I thought they weren't as catchy as usual, but they grow on you slowly.

tcat84
September 15th 2018

I dunno, I'm disappointed all the way around, I was just sort of into this band before Melancholia Hymns and it knocked my socks off and made me appreciate their older stuff. this was ok but not the direction I want the band to go... but I guess it doesn't matter if they broke up.

DrGonzo1937
September 15th 2018

I hate to say it, but this EP is a little dull.

Digging: Leeched - You Took The Sun When You Left

Faraudo

I already miss them tbh

Digging: KEN mode - Loved

JS19
September 15th 2018

If they had done the electronic angle well I would have welcomed it with open arms. This just sort of exists I guess

SitarHero
September 15th 2018

Nice review and smart idea using the upside down question marks. Those spanish punctuation marks always stress me out though, cos what if I don't know if a sentence is going to be an exclamation or a sentence before I even start writing it?!