Shannen Moser

by Atari STAFF
September 8th, 2018 | 44 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Let love through the darkness

Throughout I’ll Sing, Shannen Moser reveals a strong understanding of relationships – not only the influence they have on us but also the inner turmoil they create. “Haircut Song” is a deeply poignant, often haunting portrayal of the power this human connection has over us. Recalling a relationship, she presents us with a different kind of love song: You said I’m doomed to love you, and that’s the truth/It’s a sort of ***ed up way to say it, but I loved you too. As the song progresses, she lays bare her desperation when things go sour: A Broken heart will convince itself of many things/I will silence my own beating heart, that’s the sh*t you don’t want to hear/I would sell myself out for a lifetime of "I love you, love you, my dear". The song is beautiful, sarcastic and heartbreaking all at once. It hits all the right receptors in the brain, leaving you wanting more; this is ok, because the rest of I’ll Sing delivers the goods.

Although Moser’s lyrics are her greatest asset - giving I’ll Sing an extra bite through witty storytelling - there’s no denying her skill as a musician. Effortlessly blending folk, blues and country, there’s a good deal of variety throughout her songwriting. Sometimes, we get nothing but the dialed-down plucking of a guitar, but “Hallelujah” busts out the banjos and enters borderline ho-down mode as it progresses. Whichever method she employs, all the songs are given an extra jolt of life by her soaring vocals and relatable themes of love and friendship. “One For Mama” is a real tear-jerker, with bluesy guitars and strings making way for the croon of Momma, I’m never too old for your love. And as she closes with the Americana-tinged title-track, she makes it apparent she plans on making the best of life – pressing on and “singing” even in its most vicious moments. It’s one hell of a way to conclude such a powerful album; the slower pace allows her voice to really capture the moment in perhaps her most alluring performance here. If any of the tracks could be called soulful, this is it. It’s only one piece of the gorgeous puzzle, though. In its entirety, I’ll Sing is overwhelmingly affective – one of those albums that connects with you on a personal level. There are other notable songwriters this year, but few of them, if any, have as much to say as Shannen Moser does on her gripping sophomore effort.

Outer Heaven Realms Of Eternal DecayUn Sentiment
Elise Davis CactusSpanish Love Songs Schmaltz
Natalie Hemby PuxicoWinterfylleth The Hallowing of Heirdom

September 8th 2018

album makes me feel things and stuff

Digging: Pistol Annies - Interstate Gospel

Oh rly?

September 8th 2018

How often do I steer you wrong, Gyro? ;)

September 9th 2018

Haircut Song is so good ow my heart

Almost a guaranteed 4.5 on first listen

September 9th 2018

Listened to her last album(?) and oh my, what a good find, Atari. Great review, listening now.

Digging: Lil Zubin - Heavy Down Pour

manosg
September 9th 2018

This is lovely, thanks for the review.

Digging: Dio - Magica

September 9th 2018

Hell yeah! Cheers, glad y’all seem to like this so far.

Also, her voice definitely reminds me of someone but I’m not sure exactly who and it’s been driving me crazy lol

September 9th 2018

Reminds me a lot of Frances Quinlan, mixed with like... Kississippi and someone else.

Kaiwaz
September 9th 2018

Nice review. I'm going to have to check this out soon. Thanks for the rec Neekz

Digging: Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite

Hell yeah dude (;

luci
September 9th 2018

seconding the quinlan comparison. nice find!

September 9th 2018

Hop Along is a great comparison but idk there’s someone else she reminds me of as well and I just can’t quite pinpoint it

She’s unique enough in her own way though!

Still gotta check Hop Along

September 9th 2018

Listening again, I get a little Joanna Newsom.

September 9th 2018

sometimes I think her inflection actually reminds me of Sara McLachlan or Alanis Morissette haha

but I love just about everything here: her voice, the lyrics and the arrangements :]

September 9th 2018

I was gonna say this was like Alanis Morisette meets the Dixie Chicks sometimes lol, especially on "Haircut Song"

Kaiwaz

Haircut Song is so good

September 9th 2018

Ooo, those are all good comparisons. Yeah, though: regardless, this is impressive. It's worth checking what she has up on bandcamp, too; all of it is super short, and almost as sweet as this. You get the sense that her song-writing abilities were honed a long while ago, but that she's only now received the (somewhat limited) attention that's allowed her the time and means to create something this well-fleshed out. She's a talent, man.

Seriously, nice find Atari.

ramon.