Boston Manor
Welcome to the Neighbourhood

by chris. USER (44 Reviews)
September 7th, 2018 | 41 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I’ve let go and it never felt so good.

“Give me something to prove”

It’s evident Boston Manor doesn’t want to be stuck doing things one way. Be Nothing, released two years ago, presented a fuller and softer sound away from that of their EPs. For a debut album, it was good. It had hooks. It had good writing. It had good production. I once wrote that, while not revolutionary, the band had potential to be something huge. That was two years ago. Now"

Welcome To The Neighbourhood takes a dump on Be Nothing.

Welcome To The Neighbourhood's ambition swallows everything the band has ever put out before this. It’s a dark and real take on their sleazy, dirty hometown of Blackpool. Boston Manor goes all out here, bringing in the synths, the soundscapes, the varied and dark guitar tones. It’s a far cry from the pop punk stylings of Laika and Burn You Up. Here, the band is subdued and confident. Vocalist Henry Cox pulls off the huge choruses and vocal melodies with such a swagger that helps add to the image of the vulturous attitude of Blackpool. The songs on display here distance themselves from the common definition of pop punk by at least a couple miles. “England’s Dreaming” is a huge, blurry account of walking down Blackpool’s streets, complete with a thick guitar riff and anthemic chorus. “Halo” is a gritty look at the heroin addiction that plagues the town, as well as a commentary on addiction globally. Boston Manor goes down a different path each song, opting for dark synths galore on one and haunting acoustic guitar on another. What results is a complete vision, more in depth than anything the band has ever attempted before. This is Boston Manor realizing their potential in the best possible way.

Joyce Manor Million Dollars To Kill MeThe Story So Far Proper Dose
Soundtrack (Television) Adventure Time: Come Along with Me (Original SouAs It Is The Great Depression
Trophy Eyes The American DreamTrash Boat Crown Shyness

Be Nothing.

September 7th 2018

"We were joking when we recorded the record that we were snowed in for two weeks and we couldn’t leave. Everywhere was knee deep in snow. Meanwhile Trophy Eyes were recording in Thailand on the beach and we were joking that if you listen to both albums they both are very indicative of their environments.”

from an interview of the band.

Digging: The Story So Far - Proper Dose

JesperL
September 7th 2018

great review. really loving this album's atmosphere, only problem i have is the repetitive nature of some of the choruses.

Digging: The Daysleepers - Creation

September 7th 2018

i actually did notice that a little bit

Snake.

20852 Comments

uhhh

Digging: IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance

damn, that bad huh?

September 7th 2018

If Panic at the Disco had a bit more punch. Can't say I'm finding much to enjoy so far.

Digging: Matthew Perryman Jones - The Waking Hours

I thought this sounded way more serious than a panic at the disco release

dmp3131
September 7th 2018

I think if anything this has a Twenty-One Pilots kind of vibe, but that's not a bad thing in this case. Thought half of this was really good, and the other kinda meh. Will have to go back though to really tell how I feel about it.

The 3 singles though they released are lights out.

I thought this sounded way more serious than a panic at the disco release

It's better than anything they have done, I will give them that, but the vocalist sounds so much like Brandon Urie that I almost refuse to believe it isn't him. It's kinda average for me overall, though.

Green Baron
September 7th 2018

Mike Sapone produced this, which makes me want to give it a shot. Whenever I see his name as a producer I just assume it's going to have Brand New vibes.

Storm In A Teacup
September 7th 2018

The three singles were outstanding. Shout out to their single Drowned In Gold that didnt make it on the album.

Soupy
September 8th 2018

I don't think it's as good as Be Nothing if I'm honest. I've got no problem with them going away from the pop punk sound, I think a lot of bands have done that really well in recent years. I just don't think this is all that great really, a handful of stand-out tracks but the rest is just kind of "meh" for me. It's a lot better than the sort of thing You Me At Six have been churning out in the last few years, but to my taste on first listen I'm pretty underwhelmed by it given the high praise I saw for it and how much I digged the last album and Halo.

Tranqyl
September 9th 2018

I definitely enjoyed this album, and I think in some ways it's a progression, but the general sound felt a little like they were just following this recent alt-rock trend that some emo-ish bands have been edging towards.

Digging: Inkwell Moon - Bad Day Dream

JayEnder
September 9th 2018

This album sounds like Brand New and Arctic Monkeys had sex and I don’t really care for it.

Digging: The Story So Far - Proper Dose

September 9th 2018

I'll revisit it a couple more times to see if it grows but so far it ain't happin.

onionbubs
September 9th 2018

this is pretty bad so far

Digging: Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?

:-( it’s good :-(

CompostCompote
September 9th 2018

Band name sounds like a Downton Abbey-esque show where everyone just walks around yelling Are You a Cawp?!

how are you planning to celebrate 1000 comments

CompostCompote
September 9th 2018

Saying something so horrid, I will get banned for all of history.