Vein
Errorzone

by Kenneth Timper USER (13 Reviews)
August 29th, 2018 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is all that you were programmed to be afraid of.

Since the release of their self-titled EP back in 2013, Vein has been gaining traction at a staggering rate. The Boston quintet has received an abundance of praise from all corners of the hardcore and metal community— and rightfully so. The band’s unique fusion of nu-metal and chaotic hardcore (a la Rorschach, Botch, etc.) coupled with its frantic live performances have made Vein one of the most consistently engaging acts in recent memory. Errorzone sees the band’s seemingly unstoppable upward trajectory culminating into a triumphant full-length debut.

While Errorzone is an album deeply rooted in nostalgia, Vein manages to carve out their own remarkable aesthetic. Vocalist Anthony Didio’s shrill howls and melodramatic crooning sound apocalyptic over the band’s dystopian backdrop. Unpredictability and terror reign supreme on ragers like the revamped “Old Data in a Dead Machine” and “Demise Automation.” Industrial drum loops and menacing mechanical guitars tear through the album’s lean run-time (the opening riff in “End Eternal” is an auditory glitch in The Matrix).

Errorzone is as killer as first albums come, but it’s not without its growing pains; specifically, the band’s haphazard use of melody. On songs like “Old Data in a Dead Machine” and the title track, it is incorporated beautifully. The former features eerie clean vocals that create an uneasy build-up to a monstrous breakdown, while “Errorzone”’s epic finale layers distorted singing over soaring guitars and faint piano. It is on cuts like these that Vein flexes their muscles as songwriters and masterfully incorporate melody to make them dynamic and powerful.

Unfortunately, the band fumbles with this at certain points. The melodious punk break of “Untitled” between bruisers “Doomtech” and “End Eternal” is a welcome change-up in the album’s onslaught of bombastic nu-metal-industrial riffage, but it sounds like it was shaved off another song for the sake of having an interlude.

Despite a few minor pitfalls, Vein’s first full-length effort is a triumphant debut that sets the standard for all hardcore’s other up and comers. Time will tell if they are the genre’s anointed saviors as so many have declared, but as far as first albums go Errorzone stands tall alongside greats like American Nervoso.

Invoke (NC) No Law BeyondJesus Piece Only Self
MouthBreather (MA) DollmeatLeft Behind Blessed by the Burn
All Pigs Must Die Hostage AnimalEmployed to Serve The Warmth Of A Dying Sun
TooManyFriends (4)
as gnarly as it looks...

August 29th 2018

This didn't need another review, but I've been jamming it lately and decided to write one for fun. Constructive criticism welcome, yadda yadda.

Digging: Cult Leader - A Patient Man

accompliceofmydeath
August 29th 2018

Rad review for a rad album. Only criticism I can offer is the overabundance of "but" in the third paragraph. I'm guilty of that too, so I'm not sure how to fix it.

Digging: The Vandals - Hitler Bad, Vandals Good

August 29th 2018

I will try to work off my buts- good catch

Scoot

19114 Comments

don't ever use hyperbolic praise again

Noted, thanks!

August 29th 2018

Pretty good. Random ass tour with Ghostmane and Bitter End.

Digging: Severoth - Forestpaths

Supercoolguy64
August 29th 2018

they're going to play at deftone's festival in november wow

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch

FearThyEvil
August 29th 2018

They're also touring with ETID as the opening act

August 29th 2018

They’re coming my way with Sanction in October, super stoked for that.

Laen
September 19th 2018

Took me a few listens but this album is fun as fuck. Virus://Vibrance and Doomtech are really catchy.

September 20th 2018

The last 3 songs go unreasonably hard. I’m surprised I haven’t worn this out yet.

botb
September 20th 2018

11991 Comments

their drummer is for real so good

JS19
September 22nd 2018

Honestly, the drumming in this somehow keeps this insane energy injected straight into its veins and keeps the level there for the whole thing.

Digging: Rafael Anton Irisarri - A Fragile Geography

October 18th 2018

Saw them again last night, they ruled but Vatican really stole the show for me.

AaroN911
November 12th 2018

band goes hard, one of my fav finds this year

Digging: Direct Hit! - Crown Of Nothing

cazzill
November 12th 2018

I haven't stopped listening to this album, definitely my album of the year.

DarkSideOfLucca
November 12th 2018

Forgot to include this in top albums of the year

cazzill
November 12th 2018

How'd you forget man? It's stand out for me

DarkSideOfLucca