The Mowgli's
I Was Starting to Wonder

good

by Divaman USER (157 Reviews)
August 27th, 2018 | 7 replies

Release Date: 08/17/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More happy vibes and good times from this gentle California sextet.

The Mowgli's don't get a lot of love on Sputnik Music. This is unfortunate, because I think they have something to offer, namely happy music and good feelings. They're currently operating as a 6-piece band (at one time, they had as many as ten members), and as best I can tell, they were recently dropped by their record label. None of this has done anything to dampen their cheerfulness, though. They're still an upbeat Los Angeles band with a San Francisco hippy vibe.

I Was Starting to Wonder is their latest EP. It features four songs, two of which were previously released as singles. The general atmosphere here is mostly one of relaxed jubilation. Two of the songs, "I Feel Good About This" and "Real Good Life", share similar sentiments. They're both about happy love relationships that seem to be working for all involved. In between these two are "Kansas City", a song where lead singer Colin Louis Dieden sings about missing his home town (especially as he's recently come to realize that even though he's moved away, he still has the same old issues to work through) and "Best of Us", the one song here about a relationship that might not be the healthiest (although it's too soon to tell). This last one is the least interesting of the album's four songs.

The Mowgli's' sound is nothing new here. As on their previous work, it's driven by multi-person (including both male and female) vocals and jangly guitars. They're like a mixture of The Cowsills, Len and Grouplove.

I realize accept that this isn't the deepest band around, and that their carefree tendencies and simplistic lyrics bother some people. I like a bit of darkness in music myself, and I wouldn't want for every band to sound like them. On the other hand, not all music needs to make you want to kill yourself either. I think there's room in music for both bleakness and frivolity.

The bottom line is this -- if you've always hated this band, this EP won't make you like them any better. There's nothing groundbreaking here, and their basic sound is the same as it's always been. But if you've liked their previous work, you'll like this too. I have, and I do.

COIN How Will You Know If You Never TryThis Island Earth Welcome to the Merry-Go-Round
Steve Hackett At the Edge of LightYes Heaven and Earth
Joni Mitchell Miles of AislesThe Buggles Adventures in Modern Recording
poor

Divaman
August 27th 2018

I missed these guys last time they came through, but I'd like to catch them live sometime.

Digging: Deep Cut - Different Planet

SitarHero
August 27th 2018

Worst. Fucking. Band name. Ever.

I 1'd this shit on principle alone.

theBoneyKing
August 27th 2018

Yeah this band is fucking awful. Nothing wrong with happy music but their stuff is cloying garbage.

Good review though.

Digging: Elliott Smith - Either/Or

Papa Universe
September 2nd 2018

I didn't 1 this on principle, but because it is awful.

Divaman
September 2nd 2018

Bunch of Philistines on this he'ere website!

Papa Universe
September 2nd 2018

hey, i did "i was starting to POS"

SitarHero
September 2nd 2018

"Bunch of Philistines on this he'ere website!"

Is not knowing/not caring/ironically using apostrophes considered art? Cos in that case you're damn right we have a problem, David.