Born to Murder the World
The Infinite Mirror Of Millennial Narcissism

by SomeGuyDude USER (35 Reviews)
August 24th, 2018 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Napalm Nathrakh

I almost went with "Anaal Death" just for the sheer novelty of it, but alas.

This is a 12-track EP that barely tops fifteen minutes, so this won't be a terribly long review. Besides, the music on Infinite Mirror... isn't all grand and sweeping to begin with, and long paragraphs would be pointless. Born to Murder the World is a collab between the one of the dudes behind Anaal Nathrakh and Shane Embury, the longest-running member of Napalm Death. While both of these bands have an penchant for high speed brutality, the former is fond of long industrial-leaning tracks while the latter keeps things much shorter. The end result is a project of grind-length tracks built like Anaal Nathrakh's black/grind/wtf madness.

What really works about this pairing is how it takes the strength of each approach. AN's songs can sometimes go overlong and place too much emphasis on the electronic elements (to say nothing of their frequently brickwalled-to-absurdity production), while ND's style of grind doesn't have the same blistering intensity, and so what we've got here are a dozen and then some tracks that land like a goddam asteroid without collapsing under their own weight or being kneecapped by poor mastering. Every instrument is clear, nothing is clipping, it all sounds heavy as hell. There aren't any dynamics to speak of, but that's not a bad thing.

That said, it's the Nathrakh half that clearly has the lion's share of composition, as these songs generally hold truer to the balls-out blackness than anything resembling groove or even a hint of hardcore. To my ears this isn't a bad thing at all, with Embury's influence functioning more to restrain Kenney to make sure every single one of these songs maintains the intensity without running out of steam. Picking a highlight is difficult because the tracks aren't terribly different from one another, but I'll admit that the longer tracks (Genesis Misconception, Negativity Plague) stand out because they have just a bit more time to breathe.

Again, it's a short album. Fifteen minutes of insanity without a single shred of fat bloating the project. Would I have liked more" Of course, but that's not a bad thing. An album that leaves you wishing it were longer is infinitely preferable to one that should have been trimmed down. You can start it, play it through to the end, then do it again. And again. And again.

Xavlegbmaofffassssit.... Gore 2.0Six Feet Under Unburied
Zeal and Ardor Stranger FruitSkinless Savagery
Hegemone We DisappearThe Body I have fought against it, But I can’t any longer

Kusangii

2013 Comments

Interesting combo. Might check. That band name is way too tryhard though

August 24th 2018

"The Infinite Mirror Of Millennial Narcissism"

cringe

AdolfChrist
August 24th 2018

edgy band name, sounds right down my alley.

Digging: Ad Nauseam - Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est

August 24th 2018

It's 15min and you can stream it on BandCamp so there's really no reason to give it a shot. Sure the names might be a bit OTT but again this is Anaal Nathrakh and Napalm Death we're talking about. OTT is what they do.

BORN TO DIE WORLD IS A FUCK

Digging: Soundtrack (Film) - A Star is Born

AdolfChrist
August 24th 2018

@someguy theres no reason to give it a shot? Ok, if you say so. I guess i wont.

;D

19718 Comments

you know why I like this more than Anaal? No fucking cleans.

Digging: Dakhma - Suna Kulto

botb

11906 Comments

The album name is so cringe holy shit

August 25th 2018

It really is its actually laughable

also anaal nathrakh fucking sucks

19718 Comments

codex necro and hell is empty rule. last few albums have been de-toothed trash but that old stuff rips.

def silly name but this is super srs hyperblast so a dumb super srs name fits

August 25th 2018

LMAO you can't have the cover from "True Traitor, True Whore" as your icon and talk about cringe titles.

August 25th 2018

i can, and i am right now

August 26th 2018

19718 Comments

that title actually sounds lulz enough to be krieg tho

August 26th 2018

I didn't mean you literally aren't physically capable of it, but you look dumb as hell for doing so considering that's one of the most lul-worthy and petty titles in existence.

August 27th 2018

if you actually understand the context behind that album you wouldnt be so quick to say that; it carries a troubled symbolic meaning for the creator, and isn't an attempt at superficial edge or shock value.

unlike this who is just a couple of burnt out fat old men butthurt about a subsequent generation to them not doing everything like they did

and i say this as someone who respects their music (well one of them anyway)

Essence
August 27th 2018

wasn't feeling this much the same i never feel new AN

TheBarber
October 3rd 2018

Album title is great, it got a reaction from you in seconds.

The question really is, if we are becoming a wholly narcissistic society, in what way shall we ascend next ?

Digging: Szun Waves - New Hymn to Freedom