Erra
Neon

by TundraL5Z USER (10 Reviews)
August 20th, 2018 | 202 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Erra's Neon illuminates with vibrance and grace

I was first introduced to Erra via their third studio album entitled "Drift", it really stuck out to me over competitors such as Phinehas, Wage War and to an extent Northlane in their little Progressive Metalcore bubble. The album was technical, chuggy, but was also very beautiful and emotive. Drift continues to grow on me as it stands. They struck quite the balance with weighing JT's aggressive vocals and the beautiful musicianship from Jesse and co, intertwining it together constructing tracks that had the metalcore edge but also offering captivating melodies to keep the listener engaged.

With their pretty enjoyable outing with Drift, I have been anticipating their follow up record. Overall, this is a pretty good follow-up to Drift, delivering a lot more pummelling riff's than it's predecessor had. The songwriting once again is quite impressive, following more so through the vein of Drift songwriting apposed to Augment or Impulse, although there are subtle nods to their debut and sophomore particularly in a multitude of the verse riff's that often are odd time signatures, keeping the listener invested and interested.

Highlights on the album for me are definitely Ghost of Nothing and Breach, with Ghost being pretty much a perfect post-Augment era, Erra song. It has a catchy chorus, fast pummelling riff's and drums, and also a hint of melody in lush lead guitar playing that Erra fans are oh so accustomed to. The tapping riff during the chorus is downright guitar ear candy, the track also displays a groove that a majority of the tracks on the record follows suit with. Breach starts off with a minimalist guitar piece with Jesse's vocals on top of it, it is a captivating part that I wish was utilized a little bit more in the album, but it doesn't detriment the album too much. Shortly after this minimalist portion the track quickly kicks into gear with a groovy and very Erra like riff to start off the track (and the album), the verse following displays the drums going all out with similar riff's from the first portion of the song to back it up, a great way to start off the album, get people moving quickly, and get new listeners into the album respectively.

The first single Dissaray (which admittedly made me a little worried at first) is definitely most comparable to Luminesce on Drift, a short but sweet song that doesn't overstay it's welcome, the song is very groovy, with the tempo slightly decreased compared to a lot of the other songs on the album, and it works very well. Valhalla and Ultimata are both standouts as well and definitely highlights once again.

For post-Augment Erra, this is a great way to combine their sound that they recently adopted in Drift with the almost deathcore like tendencies of Impulse and Augment, resulting in something that is ultimately more accessible than the aforementioned trio of albums. The album can be enjoyed by a demographic larger than any of the previous albums in my opinion, delivering fast pummeling riffs, and also catchy choruses and melodies with a great groove throughout to make both sides of the spectrum satisfied.

Sithu Aye HomeboundArch Echo Arch Echo
Wide Eyes ParadoxicaPolyphia New Levels New Devils
Band-Maid World DominationLights Skin and Earth

August 20th 2018

No one else would write a review so now we get this :shrug:

Digging: Swallow the Sun - When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light

frozencarl

this band has like 3 good songs

Digging: Deserted Fear - Drowned by Humanity

JeetJeet
August 20th 2018

Very accurate review. Tackles a few problems I have with this album as a whole.

Digging: Tommy Genesis - Tommy Genesis

August 20th 2018

Yes even Drift is better than this.

Smfh at Erra..

Durrzo
August 20th 2018

Jesse fucked up when he pushed Alan out of the band. They've been on a steady decline since. Doesn't help that they went from one of the most interesting vocalists in the genre to one of the most bland.

artiswar

August 20th 2018

Durrzo - wait Jesse pushed him out? I thought he left on good terms. Anyways either it's easy to hear that the and was a lot stronger with Alan and Garrison

Duplicate

trilo

good review.

production on here is horrendous

Digging: Defacement - Deviant

Durrzo
August 20th 2018

Alan didn't name Jesse but he said "someone" was doing all the songwriting themselves and leaving very little room for anyone else to bring anything to the table, so he left. There's really only one person it could be.

Jesse is talented, but it's so obvious that Alan was the riff guy. Jesse brings the melodies and the solos but they've lost a ton of impact without Alan's work backing it all up.

August 20th 2018

Oh wow I never heard that. But yeah that's pretty obviously Jesse. I really liked Alan's style, impulse is still my favorite album of theirs.

TheSpirit
August 20th 2018

I saw these guys live a few months ago and they were a snorefest

Digging: wellspring - iris's room

SteakByrnes
August 20th 2018

"over predecessors such as Phinehas, Wage War and to an extent Northlane"

Digging: Ithaca - The Language of Injury

August 20th 2018

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what? Erra basically pioneered the sound with Northlane"

"i'm strongly suspecting you listened to a low quality rip Tundra. Album sounds great and the tapping is not almost inaudible."

On spotify on highest quality, the production is just lackluster, that's it

clavier
August 20th 2018

"The first line, I was first introduced to Erra via their third studio album entitled "Drift", therefore that is irrelevant"

August 20th 2018

"oh, i suppose you meant it in the sense that Drift came out after the sound was developed? nonetheless the opening sentence is a bit confusing, as you say that bands are predecessors of an album (you'd want to compare like to like)"

guess i meant "competitors", i'm not a master reviewer like you, my bad ;)

clavier
August 20th 2018

ah, the usage of "predecessor" itself makes sense, it's rather that you'd either want to say that band x is a predecessor to band y or album x is a predecessor to album y, but not band x to album y (since the two wouldn't be commensurable)

Ninjahague

album math nice

also this is very nice

August 20th 2018

I hate how a lot of my favorite bands have disappointed me this year... bsc, crossfaith, and now erra. Goddamn shame.

August 20th 2018

Ian and Garrison are way better than JT.