Erra
Neon

by TundraL5Z USER (6 Reviews)
August 20th, 2018 | 159 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Architects Lite

I was first introduced to Erra via their third studio album entitled "Drift", it really stuck out to me over predecessors such as Phinehas, Wage War and to an extent Northlane in their little Progressive Metalcore bubble. The album was technical, chuggy, but was also very beautiful and emotive. Drift continues to grow on me as it stands, and even after visiting their earlier works I do believe the album is still a high point in the band's discography. They struck quite the balance with weighing JT's monotone vocals and the beautiful musicianship from Jesse and co, intertwining it together constructing songs that had the metalcore edge but also offering tremendously captivating melodies to keep the listener engaged.

With their fantastic offering of Drift, I have very much been anticipating their follow up record, but it saddens me to say that their brand new album "Neon" has failed to grab me in the same way that Drift had and is lackluster in many different areas where Drift wasn't. Starting with the production, it is by far Erra's worst production to date (including the Andromeda EP), the vocals are much higher in the mix than the instrumental, which already strips one of the best qualities that Drift had in the first place. The melodies are nowhere near as captivating as Drift and it results in the JT often getting lost in the waves where there is no strong melody to back him up in the verses.

But they still got Jesse Cash on board so hopefully, he can redeem in some areas right" well.. not really. Jesse's vocals are often quite boring and the high registered vocals singing during the chorus starts to get pretty old when it's done extensively in EVERY SONG. The verse-chorus formula is also stuck to in every song... what the hell happened" Sure in previous Erra records there were songs with apparent verse chorus formula such as Hybrid Earth and the title track of Drift, but there were also songs like The Hypnotist which were quite unpredictable in nature. Every aspect of Neon is predictable from the verses to the choruses with a solo here and there to wrap it up. Unfortunately, however, the guitar solo's are also quite boring and deliver a melody nowhere as strong as previous albums in their discography.

Only songs I can say stands out to me are Ghost of Nothing and Expiate, but even then the verses are pretty bland in Ghost of Nothing and the tapping riffs in Expiate are so low in the mix you can barely hear them. Hyperreality and Monolith are painfully average, all they need is Sam Carter on vocals and they would be Architects songs, but even then they wouldn't be necessarily "good" cause Architects has better production than this. A disappointing outing from Erra and I'm starting to solidify my thoughts that Augment is their peak and they won't make an album as groundbreaking as that was again, although the could, I have my severe doubts.

Band-Maid World DominationLights Skin and Earth
The Contortionist ClairvoyantCHON Homey
DragonForce Reaching into Infinity

August 20th 2018

No one else would write a review so now we get this :shrug:

Digging: Irreversible Mechanism - Immersion

frozencarl

this band has like 3 good songs

JeetJeet
August 20th 2018

Very accurate review. Tackles a few problems I have with this album as a whole.

Digging: Brockhampton - Iridescence

August 20th 2018

Yes even Drift is better than this.

Smfh at Erra..

Durrzo
August 20th 2018

Jesse fucked up when he pushed Alan out of the band. They've been on a steady decline since. Doesn't help that they went from one of the most interesting vocalists in the genre to one of the most bland.

Digging: The Breathing Process - Samsara

artiswar

August 20th 2018

Durrzo - wait Jesse pushed him out? I thought he left on good terms. Anyways either it's easy to hear that the and was a lot stronger with Alan and Garrison

Duplicate

trilogique21

1988 Comments

good review.

production on here is horrendous

Digging: Thou - Magus

Durrzo
August 20th 2018

Alan didn't name Jesse but he said "someone" was doing all the songwriting themselves and leaving very little room for anyone else to bring anything to the table, so he left. There's really only one person it could be.

Jesse is talented, but it's so obvious that Alan was the riff guy. Jesse brings the melodies and the solos but they've lost a ton of impact without Alan's work backing it all up.

August 20th 2018

Oh wow I never heard that. But yeah that's pretty obviously Jesse. I really liked Alan's style, impulse is still my favorite album of theirs.

TheSpirit
August 20th 2018

I saw these guys live a few months ago and they were a snorefest

Digging: Majestic Mass - Savage Empire of Death

SteakByrnes
August 20th 2018

"over predecessors such as Phinehas, Wage War and to an extent Northlane"

August 20th 2018

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what? Erra basically pioneered the sound with Northlane"

"i'm strongly suspecting you listened to a low quality rip Tundra. Album sounds great and the tapping is not almost inaudible."

On spotify on highest quality, the production is just lackluster, that's it

clavier
August 20th 2018

"The first line, I was first introduced to Erra via their third studio album entitled "Drift", therefore that is irrelevant"

August 20th 2018

"oh, i suppose you meant it in the sense that Drift came out after the sound was developed? nonetheless the opening sentence is a bit confusing, as you say that bands are predecessors of an album (you'd want to compare like to like)"

guess i meant "competitors", i'm not a master reviewer like you, my bad ;)

clavier
August 20th 2018

ah, the usage of "predecessor" itself makes sense, it's rather that you'd either want to say that band x is a predecessor to band y or album x is a predecessor to album y, but not band x to album y (since the two wouldn't be commensurable)

Ninjahague

album math nice

also this is very nice

Digging: mewithoutYou - [untitled] e.p.

August 20th 2018

I hate how a lot of my favorite bands have disappointed me this year... bsc, crossfaith, and now erra. Goddamn shame.

August 20th 2018

Ian and Garrison are way better than JT.