Dad Thighs
Easy Listening

by Conmaniac CONTRIBUTOR (70 Reviews)
August 17th, 2018 | 54 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: postscript

and how I wish I could get over myself, sometimes.

Sometimes I wish I could get over death. Or, at least, stop wondering exactly what went through his head before nature subsequently swallowed him whole, hopes and dreams and all. I think I’ve accepted it at this point, I mean, I’ve had over three years to cope, yet traces of his being crop up in the most unexpected ways. ‘Graveyards’ is the most recent stubborn reminder I’ve had, and it seems Victoria and company are unable to completely let go as well.

If graves could talk, they’d have a lot to say / You ran into the night with nothing but your wits
and an empty two-six

For those unaware of Canadian jargon (I had to look it up myself), a two-six is a bottle of liquor containing 26 ounces, connecting my own experience with loss through the shared lens of substance abuse. Having written about death before, it’s a bit haunting to see a line of mine unintentionally lifted yet repaired in such a definitive manner. While my past self talked about hope, unsure of the life after death, Dad Thighs instead confidently states: “and I will see you again / with a new lust for life”. Holding onto loved ones, despite their absence, in a way that only drives forward an appreciation for one’s own life is a stunning mantra I never thought to see within a song so distressed about death. Recognition of the past as fuel for the future, or something along those lines. I may be projecting.

I feel nothing at all / I wanna feel nothing

Although the emo/screamo cliches and musicality are largely the same compared to their previous release, they’ve come to not only accept this but embrace it with arms wide open. As a result, this lyrically feels like an epilogue or a postscript to their debut LP, transcribing lines about the same airport bars and feelings of emptiness, yet it never feels uninspired. There’s still this drive for innovation, as seen with the swooping electronic white walls that bookend the opener and the diverse moods seen in between tracks (well, diverse might be a stretch but there’s something to be said about the divergent spritely twinkles on ‘Mutually Exclusive’, despite the lyrical content). ‘Stimulus Progression’ is aptly named, both for its lyrical content (which I’ll hit on a bit later) and its, well, stimulating progression in songwriting and production. Around the 3-minute mark a falling bassline abruptly ends the post-rock meanderings and is immediately followed by a near-surf rock guitar riff that explodes into an energetic breakdown. As a whole, it’s extremely intuitive in how it meanders through different tempos, chord progressions, and genres, allowing for Victoria’s vocals to breakthrough with that same screamed desperation. Which leads me to the second type of stimulus:

I am this overflowing ashtray / I am a bug on your windshield / I am a hole in which to fuck.

Acting as both a commentary on modernized sex culture and her own struggles with these empty nights of lust, the lyrics are brutally honest and condemning. It’s something the band is actively fighting against as well, striving for “safer spaces” and “opposition to the hierarchies of gender, race, and class” within the scene. But I digress, this album is lyrically disjointed between songs yet overarchingly united in spirit while paying homage to its career-defining past ghosts (that they now do not fear, it seems). So as the acoustic closing track whisks us back to that airport bar, back to that cloudy sunset, back to those feelings of uncertainties and anxieties, back to the ghosts of missed opportunities and missed friends, etc. I think Victoria wants to remind us that:

a laugh is all we’ll ever need / and at times I still forget to smile.

Ski Mask The Slump God StokeleyJoji Ballads 1

Igor

Rammstein

Dedicated

August 17th 2018

sad album calls for a melodramatic con review

thx for peepin this Bloon

c/c welcome, ofc

Slex
August 17th 2018

What a hell of a review, one of your very best imo

Insanely excited to give this a listen, had no idea about it

Digging: Charly Bliss - Young Enough

August 17th 2018

hey wow thanks Freddie, means a lot man been tryna have a breakthru rev for a bit now

hope u enjoy this EP tho it's p fantastic

Slex
August 17th 2018

All these lyrically incredible bands (Foxing, MwY, Mitski, Tomberlin) coming out right now makes it a little harder to check em out because I have to read along while I listen

A damn good complaint to have though haha

August 17th 2018

def worth it man, all 4 are v different thematically but on the surface level they seem similar

Ninjahague
August 17th 2018

they're just letting anyone name their band anything nowadays arent they

Bloon
August 17th 2018

yeah this is a very good review but this ep isnt something id like i dont think

Digging: Bomb the Music Industry! - Scrambles

sick review

Digging: Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated

brainmelter
August 17th 2018

nice review conmayn, I'll check this out

Digging: Vothana - B?n Tuyn Ngn -Demo V

August 17th 2018

I feel like bands are running out of names lol

Digging: Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

August 17th 2018

thanks y'all but ya ya band name is kinda cringe but dont let that distract u from the music here.

Underflow

lol @ the band name

August 17th 2018

much love for the feature ahhh

Papa Universe
August 17th 2018

alright, feature, you've convinced me. I'll listen to like a song or two.

Digging: Rammstein - Rammstein

Or 4

Tyler.
August 17th 2018

not going to listen to these guys ever because of their name tbh

ianblxdsoe

1916 Comments

this review is structured beautifully and reads perfectly con, amazing work man. also i completely agree with the EP feeling like a postscript. now i can’t imagine jamming TGTIF without also jamming this after lol.

platnum