Rebel Wizard

4.2

by Xenophanes STAFF
August 17th, 2018 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If ever oh ever a wiz there was...

Last month I read an interview featuring Australian based musician, Rebel Wizard. In it, Nekrasov, the man behind Rebel Wizard, waxed poetic about the horrors of modern life, including religion, TV, corporations, etc.--the usual masked black metal musician stuff. He discussed positivism and negativity within metal pretty heavily, saying that positive and negative "are not separate" but interact and live in the same space or something black metal like that. By definition this statement perplexes, but upon listening to Voluptuous Worship of Rapture and Response, the incongruity has begun to make sense.

After all, Rebel Wizard revels in negativity, using it to yield positive results. Metal as a whole has always been chained to such negative feelings as a way to lash out at societal norms and mores. As Nekrasov states, it's a way of "letting everything go," which feels a little trite when referencing black metal, a genre which has traditionally exploited emotional baggage for, well, their entire aesthetic. But when the NWOBHM riffs start soaring, it feels freeing. Sure, "The Prophecy Came and It Was Soaked With the Common Fools Forboding" is an absolute nasty cut of black metal, but "Drunk on the Wizdom of Unicorn Semen" is a playful master class in upbeat 80s thrash. It's the constantly bizarre juxtaposition of hatefulness and joy that Rebel Wizard toys with that makes Voluptuous Worship of Rapture and Response such a triumph.

The way Nekrasov is able to spin a black metal tune into equal parts frigid, fierce, and above all else, fun, is revelatory. To be more reductive, Rebel Wizard plays a 'black-n-roll' style of black metal with mild hints of NWOBHM and thrash, like if Kvelertak spread itself across Darkthrone's early and late eras. The blackened side is very blackened, with a grating production and painfully shrill vocals, all laid bare across an incredibly fast, breakneck pace. The more rocking side is a rollicking treat, with foot-tapping cadences and, again, a sincere feeling of positivism when the riffs reach their highest of highs.

The dichotomy present on Rebel Wizard's latest album is a constant source of excitement, eliciting a happiness born from hateful sounds. It's only a bit odd, because the bones of Voluptuous Worship of Rapture and Response feel very familiar, but the effortlessness of its delivery, however, puts Rebel Wizard in a class of its own.

Chapel of Disease ...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have EmbracedSigh Heir to Despair
URSA Abyss Between the StarsCult Leader A Patient Man
Daughters You Won't Get What You WantCoheed and Cambria The Unheavenly Creatures

TheSpirit
August 17th 2018

Oh nice. I bookmarked this on my bandcamp yesterday, good to know it's gonna be worth checking out.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Midian

Dewinged
August 17th 2018

I checked the first track and it sounds great. Definitely getting into it.

Digging: Kaelan Mikla - Not Eftir Not

will czech

edit: oof, can't do those vocals

BlackwaterPork

Love this guy

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

August 17th 2018

frenzied and feral...this is legit

that penultimate graph is as apt a description as humanly possible

August 17th 2018

I don't. He's got Blaze in the Northern Sky 5'd.

AdolfChrist
August 17th 2018

This sounds like something id dig.

Digging: Mike Pace and the Child Actors - Smooth Sailing

August 17th 2018

best naming scheme in the game right here

August 17th 2018

pretty cool so far. haven't listened to much metal this year

August 17th 2018

I'm completely in love with this. It's my metal AOTY so far and there has been some pretty heavy competition up to this point.

pjquinones747
August 17th 2018

Am very interested. Commenting so I remember to peak this later.

Digging: Travis Scott - Astroworld

August 17th 2018

Good. I'm getting irritated that no one is here talking about this with me.

August 17th 2018

vocals actually fit darkthrone tho

and have nowhere near as much feedback

Dinosaur
August 17th 2018

Nice, a review for this!

Voivod
August 18th 2018

I liked his previous album (bookmarked for my yearly lists too), it's definitely among the notable albums of 2018.

Will check this one too.

Of late, Australia exports quality stuff only.

August 18th 2018

I like the way it blends into the music John ralphio but I'll respect your opinion

SgtShock
August 18th 2018

"He discussed positivism and negativity within metal pretty heavily, saying that positive and negative "are not separate" but interact and live in the same space or something black metal like that"

I thought positivism was the philosophy that the objective truth can be observed. Are you sure you didn't mean positivity?

August 20th 2018

yeee just not my jam, unfortunately, but the backing musicianship is lit

Blizzink
August 21st 2018

This is sick as hell

Dewinged
August 21st 2018

Yup, it's great

Edit: The mixing is atrocious in some parts though.