Carriage
Visions

by manosg STAFF
August 8th, 2018 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What Visions lacks in originality, it makes up for in songwriting and guitar playing.

Unlike in the NBA where the KD initials evoke feelings of intense dislike or even hatred, heavy metal fans and artists have been expressing their adoration towards King Diamond more and more lately. Bands like Germany’s Attic and Sweden’s Portrait seem to have grasped the essentials of the Kim Bendix Petersen playbook. At the same time, across the pond, Carriage has joined the coven but what separates them from their aforementioned counterparts is their rather vintage sound. More specifically, the Portsmouth, Virginia outfit seems to have a slight preference for the first two Mercyful Fate LPs, with some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest elements in the mix as well. The band’s Facebook profile mentions other influences too such as Savatage and Metal Church but only if you expect them you can trace bits and pieces of them.

Therefore, once we have established that originality is out of the question on here, what are the redeeming features of the album?In a few words, this is an extremely fun LP full of nice melodies, brilliant guitar work and solid songwriting. The dual guitar solos are inspired, memorable and not overdone, while the riffs are very catchy even though you might feel a few deja vus along the way. Moreover, the band knows how to create an atmospheric offering with epic tendencies despite the fact that the longest song is slightly over 6 minutes. Take “The Owl”, for example; a 4:43 instrumental which sets the tone for the second half of the album perfectly. It’s fun, adventurous, melodic, catchy and serves as a great opener for the Maiden-esque “Hunting the Witch” which features a highly addictive riff and timely guitar leads. What is more, the vocalist does a compelling King Diamond impersonation by using almost the entire KD register, even though there are times where his high register is a bit off and his low one sounds a bit odd. Nevertheless, he’s far from a deal-breaker and he is capable of adding some groove such as on “In the Night”. As mentioned before, Carriage’s charm comes from their old-school approach and indeed, “Gypsy Woman” after the 2-minute mark, brings to mind Di'Anno-Maiden (especially “Strange World”). However, there are also more modern influences and can be traced on "Alucarda" which could have been part of Iced Earth’s Burnt Offerings.

At the end of the day as solid as Visions is, some listeners will not be fond of the whole tribute thing. In addition, I really have no idea where does such a band go from here; they have produced a damn fine album but in order for a sophomore release to make sense, it has to surpass this one and as talented as these guys seem to be, it is not an easy feat. However until Mercyful Fate visit us from the dead again, Carriage will hold us company as one of the best MF/KD tribute acts around.

Leaves' Eyes Sign of the DragonheadAvantasia The Metal Opera
Loreena McKennitt Lost SoulsVarathron Patriarchs of Evil
Runeshard Dreaming SpireTherion Beloved Antichrist

August 8th 2018

Check this one, if you remotely love Mercyful Fate.

Digging: Carriage - Visions

Hawks
August 9th 2018

I need to hear this. Great review bro.

Digging: Eucharist - A Velvet Creation

TheNotrap
August 9th 2018

Enjoyable reading, as always.

I'm jamming it now. It's indeed a cool and solid Mercyful Fate interpretation.

Digging: Michael Romeo - War Of The Worlds / Pt. 1

August 9th 2018

Thanks dude. I just love the guitar playing on here which is something that happens less and less often when it comes to modern metal albums.

Appreciate the kind words Hakws, hope you enjoy.

TheNotrap
August 9th 2018

"From the darkness Carriage breaks out with a stunning new sound for those who burn the candle at both ends. Dual guitars, thundering bass, drums pounding from beyond, and a soaring vocal attack will possess each and every soul who dare press play."

Carriage

Pure gold.

deslad
August 9th 2018

Great review manos for once more. This sounds very interesting, I'll give it a listen soon

Storm In A Teacup
August 9th 2018

Been stuck wearing KDs at work for over a year cuz my work boots were destroyed and im too broke for new shoes. Need to buy some Westbrooks as soon as i have money again. Fuck KD

AdolfChrist
August 9th 2018

love that album art, gonna have to check this.

Digging: Moribund - Oracular Eyes

AdolfChrist
August 9th 2018

hmm, not sure how i feel about those vox. he sounds good when hes not constantly doing the super high falsetto thing, but its obnoxiously overused here.

chug73

I don't mind them.

Guitar playing here is solid.

chug73
August 10th 2018

But if I want falsetto I'll go listen to Painkiller.

August 10th 2018

Appreciate the kind words, Des.

Agreed guys, the vox definitely need some work here but the guitar playing is so good.

Voivod

Great review Manos.

Will give this a go, as bands like Portrait and In Solitude are always appealing.

Digging: Circles Around The Sun - Let It Wander

August 11th 2018

Cheers Voi, hope you enjoy.