Trophy Eyes
The American Dream

2.0
poor

by Slex USER (27 Reviews)
August 3rd, 2018 | 70 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More like you, less like me.

Trophy Eyes are far from the first band to aim for radio play after humble beginnings, and there was a lot of potential for the band to nail it: their previous effort had already streamlined their hardcore roots into a huge album of impassioned and anthemic post-hardcore/alt-rock. The songwriting was equal parts unpredictable and openheartedly accessible, so the prospect of a radio rock album was not at all an unwelcome one. However, it takes only one listen to The American Dream to see that it's gone horribly wrong.

Featuring drastically simplified lyricism, songwriting and instrumentation, this album is a wild misfire on just about all fronts. It's difficult to be too hard on the album because it's all so utterly bland and forgettable. Featuring ideas that should have been left on the cutting room floor immediately, a good chunk of the songs here sound as if someone left a Bastille album on in a punk band's studio; hilariously out of place hardcore vocals clash wildly with perfunctory power chords and absolutely relentless group chants. However, these are the 'good' songs, as they actually contain a confusing but noticeable direction. The vast majority of what's left here is indistinguishable. Banal lyrics, sanitized production and faceless songwriting all add up to nothing, spitting out listless Top 40 rock that contain none of Trophy Eyes strengths and add a host of new weaknesses. It's a baffling failure of both nerve and execution, appealing to the lowest common denominator of what a mainstream anthem should sound like.

But wait! It's not ALL bad, although even the genuinely great songs here are constantly marred by the problems that plague everything else. 'Miming In The Choir' has real grit and passion evident, but features grating background vocals that sound like some strange anime girl shouting. Closer 'I Can Feel It Calling' is easily and instantly the best song present, but even then, it only works in fits and starts. It builds slowly to tremendous screamed vocals that explode into short sections of blistering riffs and an avalanche of powerful drumming, only for all of the air to leak out as the song plummets back into formulaic adult contemporary alternative rock in the verses. It highlights just how confused and hamstrung The American Dream is, an album of half-baked ideas and crowd pleasing complacency. Wherever Trophy Eyes go from here is anybody's guess, but I desperately hope it will be more like them and less like everybody else.

Default Genders main pop girl 2019Black Thought Streams of Thought, Vol. 1
Straylight Run Straylight RunSomn The All-Devouring
Together to the Stars An Oblivion AboveThe Twilight Sad It Won/t Be Like This All the Time
good
Channing Freeman STAFF (4)
a song in my head for all the places i've known...

chris. (3.5)
Don't let no sad songs rot your brain...

August 2nd 2018

I didn't even talk about how Symphony of Crickets opens with a symphony of crickets and features the singer singing about...a symphony of crickets

This album fucking sucks y'all

Digging: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown

Drubbi
August 2nd 2018

Judging by the singles, is anyone that surprised?

Even my friend, who likes trashy pop-punk/post-hardcore as much as me, thought the singles were worse than TCBH Amity Affliction.

Should I bother?

August 2nd 2018

The singles are better than everything else here besides Lavender Bay, Miming in the Choir and I Can Feel It Calling, so I'd say just listen to those 3 songs and be done with it tbh

JayEnder
August 2nd 2018

Sad this doesn’t hold a candle to Chemical Miracle. Shame these guys have so much talent and they pissed it away for commerciality. Something Bigger Than This is another track worth listening to, add that song to your list of ones worth listening to Freddie and that’s all this album has to offer really.

August 2nd 2018

Yeah, it's frustrating because it's not that this is a failure because it's more accessible, it's that they nixed so much of what made them a great band in the process

JayEnder
August 2nd 2018

You nailed it. Awesome review btw dude. Singles are also cool imo. Friday Forever’s video ruined the song for me though LOL

August 2nd 2018

I haven't seen the video but I heard it's awful yeah lol

Thanks for the kind words!

disciple31
August 2nd 2018

I knew this would be garbage when every single featured a gang vocal section. Fuckin imagine dragon-core shite

August 2nd 2018

Yeah lmao dear lord I never want to hear gang vocals again after this damn album

August 2nd 2018

Excellent review, but yeah, I obviously disagree. I think it shapes as a fun spring/summer record to blast when having a few beers.

Agree with you on the out of place harsher vocals though. I like the song, but the third verse of You Can Count On Me is particularly jarring. I actually think they should have cut them all together and fully committed to the sound they were obviously going for bc I think it works really well on Autumn and Something Bigger Than This.

It doesn't hold a candle to Chemical Miracle, but I love every single thing about that album. This just feels like a natural progression to me (albeit with a dip in quality), rather than a cynical attempt to cash in, or anything like that.

August 2nd 2018

I totally get where you're coming from, and I agree, I don't think it's cynical, more misguided/confused.

Also yeah I could do without all of the harsh vox except for I Can Feel It Coming, those screams are incredible

wink183AFI
August 2nd 2018

Nice review, mirrors my feelings on this album. Just really disappointment at the direction they've decided to take in only 2 years. They will grow their new fan base quite a lot with their cheesy sing-along choruses but majority of the people of liked their first 2 releases are going to turn away.

Thanks!

Yeah I really don't see this going over well with previous fans but idk hopefully it's just a transitional album or a misstep

August 3rd 2018

I think it will go down alright with those who jumped on board at Chemical Miracle, but it will be the last nail in the coffin for the 'og' group who were already wavering at CM.

Personally, I think this/CM is a far more natural sound for them. Mend, Move On is just bland imo. Everything Goes Away was excellent, but they couldn't find enough variety in that sound for it to translate effectively to a full album. It won't be a popular opinion among a certain group of fans, but I think this a better album that Mend, Move On.

August 3rd 2018

I actually haven't listened to anything before CM although I plan to soon. Unfortunately I have to disagree that this is a natural evolution of CM tho

August 3rd 2018

Oh, right. Everything Goes Away is v good, i dont know, pop punk/melodic hardcore type stuff.

What i means it that IMO this is a natural progression if you consider the stylistic changes from EGA > MMO > CM > this. I'd say stylistically it's fairly linear. Not in quality though.

BlazinBlitzer
August 3rd 2018

I already don’t like this band for making me think they were Trophy Scars.

August 3rd 2018

Ahh okay @Macros I see what you're saying, that makes sense

Yeah same thing happens with me all the time Blazin

Defmytones
August 3rd 2018

Biggest letdown of 2018 so far for me. Chemical Miracle was an instant obsession for me. Doubt I'll spin this often except for the closer.

August 3rd 2018

Yeah I might listen to Lavender Bay and the closer from time to time but that's probably it