Thou
Rhea Sylvia

by Xenophanes STAFF
July 31st, 2018 | 90 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Sludge As You Are”

To Louisiana sludge purveyors, Thou (or punk-cum-sludge, depending on how literally you read into their interviews), exploitative and kaleidoscopic views into other genres is nothing new, even though this year's suite of EPs has pushed the boundaries of who they are as a band. Although less obvious, grunge, and most notably Nirvana, has been a recurring influence on Thou (if you count a covers album as less obvious), with the genre's DNA being a common thread throughout their discography.

Inspired heavily by Thou's grunge progenitors, Rhea Sylvia, then, makes more sense than, say, The House Primordial or (especially) Inconsolable. But a 'grunge' revival this is not. While the aforementioned EPs sought to emulate the respective sounds of 'noise metal(")' and 'morose folk("")' Rhea Sylvia merely kisses its inspiration, yielding a product that is wholly Thou, but by way of something familiarly different. It's no surprise then that the EP works best when the band's experimentation is seamless. Songs like "The Only Law" and "Deepest Sun" scream grunge, with their fuzzier production and clean vocals sung soulfully atop Brian's standard wails. The cord progressions elicit visions of the Pacific Northwest in the 90s, albeit with the hellish torrent of Thou's usual onslaught. The EP works equally well when things are less obvious, such as the surprisingly standard "Unfortunate Times," which allows a little re-tethering to the norm in order to gain some perspective on the band's high ambitions. These ambitions, of which, are completely realized as Rhea Sylvia is a beautiful and haunting standout among an already incredible body of work.

Miley Cyrus She Is ComingDead To A Dying World Elegy
Inter Arma Sulphur EnglishWaste of Space Orchestra Syntheosis
Vous Autres Champ du SangVanum Ageless Fire

SomeGuyDude

Dat title doe.

Agreed on the review, too. Wish I had the ability to review somewhere in the middle, though. This is a solid 4.25 to me. One of my favorite Thou albums.

Relinquished

good review, perfect summary

Dewinged
July 31st 2018

This is incredible. Thanks Xeno for reviewing this.

Digging: Fire! Orchestra - Arrival

TheSpirit
July 31st 2018

I'm literally listening to "Come As You Are" right now, so now I feel like the cosmos is compelling me to check this out.

Nice review, I'm glad you've been so active the last few months.

Digging: Malfet - The Way To Avalon

bgillesp
July 31st 2018

Nice review. Question. Why two album covers for each Thou release?

Great review, Xeno.

I am not big on Deepest Sun, but I'm in love with everything else. Neither Unfortunate Times, Non-Entity, nor Restless River would feel out of place on an LP. The hype for Magus is at an absolute fever pitch for me.

Digging: Fetid - Steeping Corporeal Mess

July 31st 2018

@bgillesp, from what I have gathered they typically do a cover for both the physical and digital releases.

Relinquished
July 31st 2018

sometimes even 3 depending on what's official and not. and damn these EPs have me wanting more of their styles.

spirit bro you have to check

Astral Abortis
July 31st 2018

Yeah a full length like Inconsolable wouldnt go astray

July 31st 2018

Vinyl for this actually just showed up with a nice little poster for my desk space.

Sharenge
July 31st 2018

damn I just realized how many EPs these guys have and I haven't listened to any of them... starting with this one

teamster
July 31st 2018

Band puts out more music than Hammock

Digging: Atlases - HAAR

Dewinged
July 31st 2018

The digital release covers are way better than the physical copies, what gives?

Wildhoney

Awesome so far. m////////////
Beyond excited for Magus.

zaruyache
July 31st 2018

saw them and Hell almost back-to-back on Sunday and was surprised how much I liked them.

Digging: Imha Tarikat - Kara Ihlas

Ocean of Noise
July 31st 2018

It's not surprising at all. Best sludge metal band of all time.

Digging: Gas (Mat Jarvis) - Gas 0095

kevbogz
August 1st 2018

useless fact: the myth has Romulus and Remus (twin sons of Rhea Silvia) survived by suckling a wolf, lupa in Latin, but the meaning is convoluted (as is 9/10 Latin words) and can mean prostitute. ok ty bye

hansoloshotfirst
August 1st 2018

yep, they continue to be consistently good.sweet read, love the summary.

Digging: Urfaust - Ritual Music for the True Clochard

zaruyache
August 1st 2018

It's not surprising at all.

C!early you've never asked me how I like doom before ;-)

Voivod
August 1st 2018

Great little write-up, but the brilliantly eloquent summary alone, could make me bookmark this for future inspection.