Skeletonwitch
Devouring Radiant Light

by Xenophanes STAFF
July 30th, 2018 | 93 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Skeletonwitch have crafted one hell of a banger with “Devouring Radiant Light”; a wondrously executed record filled with viciousness and morose joy that sees the Ohio natives operating with an ingenious understanding of modern metal.

Being from Columbus, Ohio I’ve been keenly aware of Skeletonwitch for some time now. Maybe it was the merch or their logo, but I was always under the impression that they played a commercial version of thrash or a standard brand of power metal—two areas of the metal spectrum I tend to unconsciously avoid. After stumbling upon Devouring Radiant Light and finally giving Skeletonwitch a fair shake, I’ve realized that, surprise, my completely baseless assumptions were incorrect.

Devouring Radiant Light is anything but commercial or standard; it’s a raucous and vicious black metal record in the vein of Reinkaos era Dissection, with heavy middle-era Enslaved implications. It has a rollicking feel of Municipal Waste, with the thrashy worship of the Big Four. It calls on progressive influences without sound overtly “progressive,” meaning, it’s tethered to a defined vision with unlikely poise. Most surprising is the sheer variety of skills at play. “Carnarium Eternal” is a short and blistering track, with one foot in 80s thrash and the other in modern Nordic black metal. This butts up to “The Vault,” which has more in common with modern YOB than anything listed thus far. Meanwhile, “Temple of the Sun” throws in clean vocals for a mood unique amongst the rest of the album. It’s this wild mix of unstructured influences and chaos that would sink most albums, but Skeletonwitch keep everything jelled nicely with a pleasant, albeit surprisingly nuanced, production job via Kurt Ballou. All of this makes Devouring Radiant Light a fun, taut, and compelling package of powerful black metal from a band of tried and true pros whose understanding of modern metal—and the subtlties and opportunities for bombast therein—is expert.

Rebel Wizard Voluptuous Worship of Rapture and ResponseThou Rhea Sylvia
Imperial Triumphant Vile LuxuryPanopticon The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness
Summoning With Doom We ComeKrallice Go Be Forgotten
WinterMartyrium1992 (4.5)
Masterfully closes Skeletonwitch’s well-loved blackened thrash period while simultaneously opening...

Xenophanes
July 30th 2018

FYI to the mods: you can keep the other guy’s review featured.

July 30th 2018

Oops, good thing I read the comments. I featured yours without even thinking. If you want the spotlight back even just for a little shout me.

Digging: mewithoutYou - (Untitled) E.P.

DungeonBoy
July 30th 2018

Good review, and good decision to feature the other review

July 30th 2018

Very good review. Also thank you very much for the comment =)

This is indeed an incredible album, everything here is SOTY-worthy imo. I have been fan of these guys since I heard Beyond the Permafrost and Forever Abomination when I was getting into modern thrash stuff, so seeing them evolve their sound and getting plenty of attention on this site is cool =)

Xenophanes
July 30th 2018

This is my first crack at them so I’ll check out the rest. I was very surprised by the polish and unique aggression here—it reminds me a bit of what I liked about that last Cobalt record. These guys are from my city too, and they come here pretty regularly so I’ll have to catch them now.

July 30th 2018

Their previous stuff is more a blend of thrash, black metal and occasional nwobhm and melodic death metal tinges. They also had another vocalist, Chance Garnette.

They might haven't been breaking new grounds with those albums, but compared to other thrash bands from the early/mid-2000s wave (Evile, Bonded by Blood), I think they've created an identity and a distinct sound of their own.

Toondude10

love this album

Digging: ERRA - Neon

July 30th 2018

This is much better than anything else I've heard from these guys

Digging: Karate High School - The League Of Tomorrow

Toondude10
July 30th 2018

so I just found out that Kurt Ballou produced this...

though he did produce their last album so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised

July 30th 2018

I think the production work here fits well with the dissonance and punch of the songs, but I can see why some wouldn't dig it.

fatneckbeard

This is fun

Dewinged
July 31st 2018

"FYI to the mods: you can keep the other guy’s review featured."

You are top class Xeno. Great concise review.

Digging: Tomberlin - At Weddings

DDDeftoneDDD
July 31st 2018

well this was fun. Great production as well.

Digging: Pink Floyd - Animals

Demon of the Fall
July 31st 2018

No idea why but I've bookmarked this as one of the few 2018 releases to check & that decision was made precisely 5 minutes ago, with no previous knowledge of the band. Sounds intriguing.

Nice review & nice decision to feature the other review (which was also excellent).

Digging: Tropical Fuck Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace

DDDeftoneDDD
July 31st 2018

ahaha it was quite random in that way for me to. I think you'll dig this one...still figuring between 3.5 and 4 for me (inner fight between "this is good" and "I love/ will relisten to this)

Essence

real close to 5 here, this is fucking phenomenal

Piripichotes
August 1st 2018

loving this A LOT, best metal album of 2018 so far IMO.

Trifolium
August 1st 2018

Yeah, like it too! Not sure about my rating yet, but it's cool!

TheBarber
August 1st 2018

Not gonna lie, came for the artwork

Trifolium