Boysetsfire
Boysetsfire

by Kurai USER (8 Reviews)
July 27th, 2018 | 8 replies

Release Date: 09/25/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boysetsfire play down the aggression with mixed results, but still manage to craft an album which is an enjoyable listen for the most part.

Boysetsfire aren't one of the most well known or talked about bands in the world. In spite of briefly being on a major label for an album (and having a song featured on the soundtrack album for the 2003 Daredevil film), they never quite managed to achieve mainstream success. However, in spite of this, they do have a devoted fanbase (particularly in Germany), and they have had a small part to play in influencing the current crop of Hardcore/Post Hardcore bands with Matt Davies-Kreye of Funeral for a Friend fame in particular citing Boysetsfire as an influence, and Frank Turner included their debut album in a list of his favourite Hardcore albums of all time back in 2014 around the time he was releasing Mongol Horde's debut.

With this album, their sixth overall and second since their return in 2010 after their three year split, Boysetsfire largely dial back on the aggression with the more melodic aspects of their sound coming more to the forefront. The end result is a slightly mixed bag of songs that have some truly great additions to the Boysetsfire back catalogue as well as a few duds that don't work quite as well as the other songs.

On the positive side, vocalist Nathan Gray's more melodic vocals sound as great as they always have. This album gives him plenty of moments to shine such as the fast, punky single One Match and the slow and sombre Ordinary Lives. For the most part, the more melodic side of the album is the strongest part, with the more Punk orientated tracks like the aforementioned One Match and Heaven Knows being particular highlights. The other members of the band all do their part well, all contributing to making the songs what they are.

The heavier side of the album is where things to fall a bit flat. The heavier songs aren't particularly bad (the closing two tracks Breathe In Bleed Out and Bled Dry are easily some of the best songs on offer here), but they seem to mostly be lacking the bite that previous of the band have had in spades (see After the Eulogy and Release the Dogs). It's hard to explain, but while it's clear that the band are giving it all that they have, there is definitely something missing when it comes to most of the heavier tracks on display here. Likewise, Fall From Grace, one of the more melodic tracks, feels a lot weaker compared to other songs on the album as well as other songs from the bands discography.

All flaws aside, this album is an enjoyable listen overall with some great energetic Punk songs and some slightly slower anthems, and even the slightly weaker tracks have their moments here and there.

Highlights:

Touche Amore Dead Horse XPetrol Girls Cut and Stitch
Antiguo JoyCasey Love Is Not Enough
More Than Life What's Left of MeCasey Where I Go When I Am Sleeping

July 27th 2018

I know this album's been out for a while, but I felt it needed a review up.

DungeonBoy
July 27th 2018

Boysetsfire released an album in 2015? I remember buying After the Eulogy at Best Buy when it came out with some money from watching my neighbor's cat

Digging: Guild Of Lore - Storm Haven

July 27th 2018

Yeah, it didn't really get much attention. I saw them on tour around the time it came out with Silverstein and Great Collapse, they were great live even if Nathan was ill so had to get Shane from Silverstein to do most the screaming for him.

DungeonBoy
July 27th 2018

huh. also good review man! Pos'd. I'm actually checking it out now, it's interesting. The only BSF album I ever listened to was After the Eulogy, and there are definitely a lot of things still in common with that album. Some of the choruses are a bit too radio friendly for me on this, but I think you hit the nail on the head with:

"The end result is a slightly mixed bag of songs that have some truly great additions to the Boysetsfire back catalogue as well as a few duds that don't work quite as well as the other songs."

July 27th 2018

Thanks man, I haven't reviewed for a while and wasn't sure how well this would go down haha. You should check out their albums 'Misery Index: Notes From The Plague Years' and 'Tomorrow Come Today', those are their best after ATE.

botb
July 27th 2018

I had no idea this existed. Nathan is one of the nicest dudes I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting from any band.

SteakByrnes
July 27th 2018

Great review for a criminally underrated band, I still have to check this one out

Digging: Windwaker - Empire