Counterparts
You're Not You Anymore

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (145 Reviews)
July 24th, 2018 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: God would break character if he could for a chance to spit in your face

It’s no easy feat to combine technicality with genuinely emotional promulgations – let alone do it for five albums straight – but Counterparts are just that good. Even without principal songwriter and lead guitarist Jesse Doreen who departed in 2016, You’re Not You Anymore is able to ply the line between late ’90s hardcore brutality and emo earnestness better than most. Newly minted guitar duo Adrian Lee and Blake Hardman are relentless in their craft, their riffs a melange of the metal and core genres. “Thieves”‘s brutish hardcore beatdowns pulverize bone to dust, while “Bouquet”‘s nuanced progression sees the guitars trading off harmonized licks left and right. Whether behind atmospheric swathes or in utter chaos vocalist Brendan Murphy remains steadfast and confident in his delivery. “Carry me forever in your heart,” he bellows in the breakdown of “Arms Like Teeth”, one of the shortest but most effecting passages on the album; his lyrics throughout You’re Not You Anymore all stand the test of genuity, but like any good hardcore album, his pre-breakdown call(s)-to-arms provide some of the best moments on the album. Counterparts clearly still have the magic, and though they may have lost a limb in Jesse, if You’re Not You Anymore is any indication, they haven’t lost their heart.

Ulver The Assassination of Julius CaesarBlood Incantation Starspawn
Paramore After LaughterConverge The Dusk in Us
Drowning the Light The Vampire CipherSenses Fail If There Is Light, It Will Find You
Trebor. STAFF (4.1)
Still you, still special...

ian b. (4.5)
Counterparts rid the youthful melodramatic crutches of previous efforts and show their teeth in a gr...

iChuckles (4)
A reaffirmation of brilliance....

Kenneth Timper (3.5)
On their latest release, Counterparts skim the fat and use brevity to their advantage....

July 24th 2018

this is honestly, the last one :p

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Midian

July 24th 2018

Sweet lil review man you should review their new EP when it comes out! : ]

Digging: Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

Hawks
July 24th 2018

Nice review as always brotha.

Digging: Cell - Hanging Masses

July 24th 2018

I like this style I think it suits you well. And with people's attention spans these days this might actually be the way to go. You just have to be able to pull it off which I think you do.

Digging: Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

July 24th 2018

Also Fragile Limbs is becoming my all time favorite by them. Can’t fucking wait to hear new jams already

SteakByrnes

Dude Spirit nice :] Album owns, review is great

Digging: The Parallel (CAN) - Weaver

July 24th 2018

Hey thank you very much anyone :]

po0ty
July 24th 2018

Lyrics in Arms Like Teeth are 'Carry me forever in your heart' not 'Keep me forever in heart'

July 24th 2018

^ the one mistake I found too. Flawless otherwise, my dude.

AeonAscension

good review

July 24th 2018

Whoop, fixed, don’t know what happened there lol

And thanks everyone :]

Risodo
July 25th 2018

Short reviews are more helpful. Good review of a great album

Hawks
July 25th 2018

Great review of a shitty album agreed.

Ponton
July 25th 2018

hell yeah, adam thomas style

Themaxwell23
July 25th 2018

My album of the year last year . Shit slays , wastes no time no filler ( besides intro track ) just straight to the point , brutal and beautiful.

thanks ya'll

also yeah Jared, definitely channeling my inner redskyformiles haha