Miles Davis
Cookin' With the Miles Davis Quintet

by 50iL USER (17 Reviews)
July 24th, 2018 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1957 | Tracklist

Review Summary: [Verb]in' Series: Part 1 of 4

The ”[Verb]’in” Series, a four-album series, was recorded in just two sessions with Miles’ first great quintet. The albums are known to characterize the early hard bop sound, a sound that took bop leanings and applied more of a modern edge to them. On such albums, Miles and company got the opportunity to exercise technical aptitude and learn the intricacies of typical jazz. This was essential to Miles’ modal explorations later on, as such explorations were built atop a rock-solid hard bop base.

”Cookin’” was the first album released in this series and as good a start as any. The album has the main components of a jazz record performed in formidable fashion. Excellent, blazing solos are continuously put forth on ”Airegin”, and a romantic aura is exuded from ”My Funny Valentine”, for example. The quintet spices things up with the closer, a dual piece that drastically changes dynamics and mood halfway through the song. The piece is perhaps the most interesting on the album, a notable track in its own right. Perhaps the only letdown the album contains is the ballad ”Blues by Five”, which drags on a bit, failing to justify its near 10-minute run time.

Even with the slight slip-up, ”Cookin’” is an incredibly solid hard bop outing, featuring memorable passages that do justice to the Miles Davis name. It is rather accessible as well and features something every listener is bound to enjoy. Furthermore, it’s hard not to be amused by the smell of what Miles was cooking, only revealed later in his career, and boy was it spicy.

Miles Davis Relaxin' With the Miles Davis QuintetMiles Davis 'Round About Midnight
Herbie Hancock SextantCorrupt Moral Altar Eunoia
Lee Morgan Search for the New LandPerfume Triangle

July 23rd 2018

Stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/50J57uCvPub0yK2kjkfC9J

Special thanks to FullOfSounds and TVC15 for proofreading this review!

Digging: Dave Holland - Extended Play: Live at Birdland

TVC15
July 23rd 2018

Oh shit whattup

Digging: HEALTH - VOL. 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR

butcherboy
July 24th 2018

airegin is top 20 davis tunes..

Digging: A.R. and Machines - Die Grune Reise

July 24th 2018

Excellent review, pos'd. Love the Verbin' series, especially "Workin'"

July 24th 2018

You should review Miles Ahead. It doesn't have a review and is deserving of a good one; an underrated (on Sput) gem

July 24th 2018

Thanks for the kind words! Just heard Miles Ahead today: a good album at that, but I don't know if I'm who should review it. If inspiration wants it so, I will though

July 24th 2018

Let the music be thee muse. I love reading Miles Davis reviews and retrospectives tbh

July 24th 2018

Yeah, Miles Davis retrospectives are especially amusing because of his sheer impact in the music industry. I would even say said impact grows by the hour; it really is formidable.

Bet

Bet

Indeed it is, 50iL
Cookin Crack Quintet, bet

sonictheplumber

niuce

MadKungFu
July 24th 2018

I see what you're doing and I like it

Drifter
July 24th 2018

Why did my Cookin Crack comment get deleted twice?

That wasn't me bud