Miles Davis
'Round About Midnight

Release Date: 1957 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Time stands still.

There isn’t anything quite like the night, the momentary lapse of rhyme and reason. It is a time to reflect and amuse oneself with whatever thoughts come to mind. Whether looking back or forward, there is something about the moonlight that incites deep thought, which proves to be ultimately humbling.

’Round About Midnight is perhaps one of the most accurate representations of the quirky curiosity night time brings. Throughout the album, nostalgia-tinged pieces steep the listener in a buoyant state of mind without being overly energetic; all songs remain a light listen but impact the listener all the same. This can be attributed to the fantastic quintet’s performance, as although the album clearly exudes a bebop style which is generally speedy and frantic, the soloists focus on creating emotion rather than engaging in ostentatious swaggery. The product of such musicality that charms the listener wholeheartedly. That doesn’t mean the soloists are not impressive, however, as, even though their delivery is emotional, the concepts they explore are challenging and admirable in nature.

What’s more, the album is a goddamn monolith in Miles’ career. He managed to find the tender point between feel and technicality, pushing his hard bop style farther than ever before. Not only that, but the album also gave him a platform to build his first significant group; this one including familiar names such as John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Joe Jones. Of course, being young, said musicians don’t quite have the mastery of their instruments they would have onward in their career, but said youthful exuberance greatly colors the record, making it even more of a delight.

As time has proven, ’Round About Midnight proves to be Miles Davis’ first considerable statement in jazz, and fortunately, far from his last. It was the first great step toward realizing himself as one of the most significant musicians of our time. Plus, the record also happens to be a fantastic one, full of pleasures for the listener. Dim the lights, put the kids to sleep, get a glass of wine, and dare to be carried away by Miles’ genius.

Nurse With Wound Thunder Perfect MindMiles Davis Get Up with It
Miles Davis Relaxin' With the Miles Davis QuintetMiles Davis Cookin' With the Miles Davis Quintet
Herbie Hancock SextantCorrupt Moral Altar Eunoia
4.2

Stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/4VUawqEDCHHfrUe77ScQ2K

Special thanks to TVC15 and Bloon for checking this review!

Digging: Iannis Xenakis - Metastasis, Pithoprakta, Eonta

Bloon

:]

Digging: Black Dresses - Love and Affection for Stupid Little Bitches

Mr. Pain
July 22nd 2018

gotta check this one out

July 22nd 2018

Thanks for commenting, hope you dig

TVC15

m/

Zombiejoejoe
July 23rd 2018

Great review! I only recently heard this album (I'm currently running through his work) and this seems to be his first amazing album. It's either this or The New Miles Davis Quintet, but this one has "All Of You" so I'm inclined to say this is the better album.

July 23rd 2018

I'd definitely go with this one tbh. Anyway, thanks for thw kind words!

Conmaniac

really nice work 50. need to peep this

Thanks mane

Doo Bop should come next month or so, if all goes well

Trifolium
December 23rd 2018

The drumming in Tadd's Delight is my delight. Delicious.

TheLongShot
March 5th 2019

Title track is the dictionary definition of late-night jazz.

lalchimiste
March 5th 2019

Yeah man I remember it threw me off on my first listen to start the record with this one!

My fav has to be Ah-Leu-Cha, Philly Joe Jones is just obliterating the kit. The energy he brings is so crucial to the track

[2] ahrd, nice dig btw

Mr. Pain
May 3rd 2019

:]

Casavir
May 3rd 2019

Should really give much of his discog a relisten. This album's fantastic though. Great review.