Wild Pink

July 22nd, 2018 | 125 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Humbly majestic and free-flowing

From the top of Burger Hill, I see
Smoke that leaves through the chimneys
The world is untouched and set free
The way it was meant to be

With Yolk in the Fur, Wild Pink have crafted their most unassuming and naturally beautiful album. As tracks bleed together like tributaries, acoustic guitars ring out with an unbridled, astral splendor. Drums pound at the dirt with a rustic sense of Americana. It’s an aesthetically beautiful record set poignantly in motion by front man John Ross’s universally relatable lyrics. Shimmering without ever bidding for grandeur, it’s a gem laying in bay shallows eagerly awaiting discovery.

“We were the only ones in a pre-natal snow globe”, Ross recites atop the pastoral acoustics of opener ‘Burger Hill’ – “When our time's up we'll pass through, like the wind blows through the trees.” This is the kind of vivid language that spans Yolk , each metaphor giving off its own soft, inviting glow. At times the passion bubbles over, like when Ross draws out his words while singing “I’m with you” on the title track, or on the gorgeous ballad ‘Love Is Better’, where he plainly states, “you always find a way to make what you do beautiful.” Ross’s voice has that romanticized classic rock feel – something not all that far removed from Tom Petty or Jackson Browne. Even on ‘Lake Erie’ – an ode to outgrowing your past – he waxes poetic, “all you ever wanted…was the one you love the most not to suddenly leave.” That’s Yolk – this highly emotional experience that ebbs and flows with elements of both nature and humanity.

Musically, Yolk in the Fur recalls more modern acts. The War on Drugs comes to mind immediately, with both artists sharing iridescent guitar work and upbeat percussion. ‘Lake Erie’ offers the most obvious comparison, consisting of the sort of glammed up Springsteen-rock-meets-Dylan-prose that Granduciel churns out regularly. Wild Pink tends to go back to the creative well more often, however. They add moving strings to an already poignant ‘Jewels Drossed in the Runoff’, crafting a sweepingly elegant, Earth-mover of a ballad. They also prove that inspiration doesn’t have to come in the form of twinkling indie tropes or retro-rock worship; the six minute ‘Seance On St. Augustine St.’ culminates in a gritty electric guitar solo, accompanied by waves of crashing percussion. Yolk is a melting pot of inspiration both past and present, making it difficult to plainly define the style that Wild Pink espouses.

Yolk in the Fur is a statement album. It’s an experience that flows effortlessly, combining a glistening, guitar-driven atmosphere with romantically-charged lyrics that make the whole thing nearly impossible to resist. Yolk is not an album for big choruses or hooks; it’s more of a destination to exhale and sink into – this lustrous indie-rock platform with a soft, emotional core. It’s the kind of album that feels equally appropriate whether you’re declaring your love or spending a solitary night tucked away within your own thoughts...and there will always be a place in the world for music like that.

When our time's up
We'll carry on
Like smoke after the fire's gone

Buke and Gase ScholarsMree The Middle
Angelo De Augustine TombEl Buho Camino de Flores
Exit North Book of Romance and DustVessel Queen of Golden Dogs

July 22nd 2018

I really hope I did this justice (a bit brief compared to my usual review length). It's a stunning indie-rock/americana album and I think it will catch on around this site.

Digging: Mree - The Middle

luci

so many 4.5s sowing

July 22nd 2018

Some were 4.4's and 4.3's. ;)

FreddieDelaney31
July 22nd 2018

I've been really interested in listening to this, now I'm sold

Digging: The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All the Time

July 22nd 2018

You should try it Freddie it's beautiful. I know I'm the staff who cried 4.5 but it's always genuine :-)

Darius the Great

19442 Comments

I cant wait until he cries 1.0

July 22nd 2018

It's happened. Rarely. I'm an overwhelmingly positive listener.

grandfather
July 22nd 2018

Glad this got the review it deserves. Underrated band, so glad they're touring with Restorations. Perfect fit

July 22nd 2018

Restorations rule and I love their new song

Also really liking this so far!

Digging: Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Darius the Great

19442 Comments

But can we see the time you vehemently cried 1.0
@sowingseason

Faraudo
July 22nd 2018

Holy shit this is very good.

July 22nd 2018

^confirmation is good since no one takes my ratings seriously anymore!

RadicalEd
July 22nd 2018

rly nice. Very War on Drugsesque. Love your review.

July 22nd 2018

Opening track is so damn good

July 22nd 2018

Yeah that's my second favorite. Only one that tops it is Jewels Drossed in the Runoff

Kaiwaz

This is pretty good.

Digging: Soilwork - Verkligheten

schoonda
July 22nd 2018

Haha somehow I'd knew as soon as I clicked on this it'd be another 4.5+ Sowing review. Will check

July 22nd 2018

You can usually tell by the tagline. If the summary gratuitously makes use of imagery and/or contains lyrical quotes, it's an 80 percent chance or higher it's me.

Hawks

Gotta hear this.

Digging: Polaris (AUS) - The Mortal Coil

ComeToDaddy
July 22nd 2018

Yeah this is lovely, about 3/4 through it right now. I really enjoy the way he tries to mix up the pace/style and keep it interesting. Even if some of the experiments fall flat (most notably There Is A Ledger) and his voice is a bit plain, it's pretty great and seems like it'll have good replay value