Immortal
Northern Chaos Gods

by PsychicChris USER (249 Reviews)
July 19th, 2018 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It may be an intentionally derivative work but fans of all things Immortal should enjoy the trip.

Despite a nine-year gap and a major lineup overhaul since 2009’s All Shall Fall, Immortal has hit a stylistic sweet spot with Northern Chaos Gods. The harsh, brittle style of the black metal legends’ 90s material is matched with the 2000s-era’s grandiosity without having to deal with the former era’s occasional sloppiness or the latter’s ultra-polished production. It’s a lot like At the Heart of Winter in execution, though what was a transitionary sound then feels more like a “best of both worlds” presentation now.

Demonaz’s first recorded appearance on an Immortal album since 1997’s Blizzard Beasts is certainly a welcome return. His time on the sidelines was not in vain as his guitar retains the speed and sharpness of the Pure Holocaust days while his vocal debut is marked by a series of fitting though nondescript rasps. Horgh’s signature snowstorm drumming serves as the grand equalizer of all the styles on display though Peter Tagtgren’s bass ends up buried in the process. Considering how this is Tagtgren’s fifth Immortal album in the producer’s chair and bass has never been this band’s strong suit, I imagine he isn’t too broken up about it.

As heralded by the title track and “Mighty Ravendark” not only serving as lead singles but also album bookends, the eight songs on here represent the two sides of Immortal quite nicely. In fact, it may represent them a little too well as the tracks are evenly divided between faster paced songs and the band’s signature mid-tempo anthems. The faster songs do run together at times and there are progressions lifted directly from classic songs but tracks like “Gates to Blashrykh” and “Where Mountains Rise” are poised to become future Immortal standards.

Northern Chaos Gods is designed to reassure fans more than revolutionize the black metal scene, but all the recent shifts and band drama result in one of Immortal’s strongest outings to date. Demonaz proves to be a capable leader, effectively injecting an old school aesthetic into the band’s grim and frostbitten vision. It may be an intentionally derivative work but fans of all things Immortal should enjoy the trip.

Highlights:

Voivod The WakeRedemption Long Night's Journey Into Day
Hostblod Mörkrets IntågDream Child Until Death Do We Meet Again

Alastor

1968 Comments

as a long-standing Immortal fan, I really wish I could agree more with this review. It sorely lacks the creativity and madness of their former signature style imho. I just hope I will get to like this over time, so far this is a disappointment in my books.

necropig

I might get to 4.5 territory come winter

Digging: Frightmare - Bringing Back The Bloodshed

Storm In A Teacup
July 19th 2018

it's at least worth listening to once

m/ m/ m/ m/ m/

Digging: Four Fists - 6666

BigPleb

MIGHTYYYYY

RAAAVENNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRKKKKK

necropig
July 19th 2018

Well hawks was well pleased with this m/

ScuroFantasma
July 19th 2018

At the very least I'm interested in this though the single didn't do a whole lot for me, it was pretty good though. Nice review, hope I feel the same (:

Digging: Disturbed - Evolution

July 19th 2018

I love it. Way better than Abbath’s album.

Darius the Great
July 19th 2018

Abbath's album sucked so that ain't saying a lot

Yeah it’s awful.

Dewinged
July 19th 2018

Finally this got a review. Not a Immortal scholar myself, but surprised how Demonaz pulled this off. Good stuff. Pos'd!

Digging: Ancestors - Suspended in Reflections

hansoloshotfirst
July 19th 2018

their best since At the Heart of Winter imo. ( I enjoyed Sons... but never really loved it )

Nah Sons is GOAT bro.

hansoloshotfirst
July 19th 2018

eh,, I tried... it's enjoyable and fun but nothing more. In My Kingdom Cold and Beyond the North Waves slay though.

Damn.

sup

Digging: Katabbas - Coda II: Prelude

Sup Sonic bro??

didnt check abbaths record

i didnt even know he left immortal lol

hawks gave this is a 6 so its at least a 3.5 for me i better check it

people are buying the cassette over at my amazon warehouse

Azog
July 20th 2018

Rejoice, thy feeble mortals, for the mighty gods of northern darkness have returned!

(In other words, I fucking love this shit.)