Black Fast
Spectre of Ruin

by Dewinged USER (47 Reviews)
July 14th, 2018 | 148 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The darker they are, the deeper they cut.

I am sure you have heard the expression Jack of all trades, master of none. The blackened thrash enforcers from Missouri surely take that statement to heart with this Spectre of Ruin. The progressive technicality of their debut Starving Out The Light runs thinner on Spectre of Ruin, where the band has exchanged the complexity of their first albums for concentrated, decimating power. Instead of trying to distill all their influences in an extended medley of thrash metal classics, Black Fast has turned one more page and focused all their efforts on creating a more uniform and consistent album.

Spectre of Ruin still retains some of the early Thrash influences that were also present in their sophomore and successful 2015 output, Terms of Surrender, but it also incorporates new elements like the decaying feel of Black Metal minced into the mix. At first the production feels very muddy compared to the band’s previous works, but further into the album this translates as the consequent blackening of their sound, where the song “Mist of Ruin” makes up for a good example. The relentless rhythm section governed by Ryan Thompson on bass and Ross Burnett on drums allows Trevor Johanson and Aaron Akin’s guitars to shine in different ways, from the spectacular solo of “Scarecrow and Spectre” to the organic riffs of highlights “Famine Angel” and “Husk”. The steady mood of every track in Spectre of Ruin comes at a price though. The poised speed of almost every track could give the impression of being a monotonous mess during the first trek through the album. Sure, delving further with repeated listen helps to unfold the different layers and intentions that lie beneath, specially because there is one thing that Black Fast has vastly improved in this last release, and that is atmosphere crafting.

Spectre of Ruin is shrouded by a darker and colder mantle than any of Black Fast’s previous albums, with Aaron Akin’s voice cracking and snarling with utter fury over the symphonic maelstrom happening in the background. It’s an album of enthralled beauty that doesn’t fool around with intros or interludes. First single “Cloak of Lies” just blasts the door open like a battering ram, and from there it’s just Blackened Thrash road downhill with no brakes. Black Fast honour their name with Spectre of Ruin, showing evolution and growth with an album that represents a turning point for the band and probably a step forward in the right direction.

Soen LotusNivhek After Its own Death/ Walking in a Spiral
Spidergawd VCherry Glazerr Stuffed and Ready
A Swarm of the Sun The WoodsTwo People First Body

Rrrrrrrips.

Here's a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdiSmKMYPFs

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Digging: Chasms - The Mirage

July 14th 2018

Super hyped to hear this one

Digging: The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

July 14th 2018

The last 3 tracks melt my face.

RippingCorpse1986
July 14th 2018

Well written and informative review man, have a pos.

So far this is a solid/very good album. Not a huge fan of these guys but I think I enjoyed this more than their previous release.

Silhouette Usurper, Mist of Ruin and Scarecrow and Spectre are the songs that stood out for me during this first listen. Solo in Crescent Aberration is very good too.

Need to listen to this more to decide how to rate it.

Ebola

really good stuff

July 14th 2018

just started the album and my reaction thirty seconds in is, "fuck yeah!! time to get a noise complaint!"

Voivod

Good review, pos.

Glad their sorted their shit out on this one, I liked their previous album, but, as you point out in your text Dewi, it kind of felt all over the place.

Is there a stream for the album?

Digging: Sordide - Hier Dj Mort

July 14th 2018

Cloak of Lies is so damn metal

i've got it on google play

July 14th 2018

Unfortunately no Voivod, just scattered tracks on youtube. I jammed it on Apple Music.

Nice you digging this Storm m/

July 14th 2018

First three songs are all kick ass. Instant gratification all over the place

Voivod
July 14th 2018

Ok, there's a full stream on open.spotify.com, it's settled.

July 14th 2018

There you go, let me know what you think man.

Hawks

Guess I need this.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

July 14th 2018

Phantom I Am does not bang hard like the first three. Kind of excited about getting to those final three tracks that are supposed to be great.

July 14th 2018

Oh my dear Hawks, I expect you flood this thread with mighty m/(s), no less.

July 14th 2018

The main riff of Famine Angel is insane Storm, you'll see. And Husk breaks things down on a slower heavier tempo, much different from the rest of the tracks.

July 14th 2018

I really enjoy the switch in atmosphere on Mist of Ruin. Love the more demented and murkier feeling without sacrificing clean production.

July 14th 2018

I feel the production is more dirty in general on this album, like swarmed by middle tones, it takes some seconds to get used to it but once it clicks you can see what they went for. It suits their music perfectly.

July 14th 2018

I probably feel that way about this cuz I'm coming off of listening to that awful Imperial Triumphant album. but anyway, Famine Angel is fantastic and seems like an interesting grower.

July 14th 2018

and Husk is blowing my mind now. what a great year for music.