Hopesfall
Arbiter

by Storm In A Teacup USER (107 Reviews)
July 14th, 2018 | 253 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Intergalactic, are you an overcompensator Crusade to expand callendric systems for a universe of round worlds

I walked everywhere in 2004 when I was 14. I would be listening to 'Icarus' by Hopesfall on each of those walks. I've heard 'Icarus' over one thousand times. On the day Magnetic North came out in 2007 I made my dad drive me to Best Buy to purchase the album. I obsessed over the single, 'Bird Flu', easily reaching one hundred listens before possessing the album. Putting the CD in my dad's van and hearing 'RX Contender the Pretender' for the first time was thrilling. Magnetic North did not let me down. I have memories like this with Hopesfall more so than any other band. This band has provided a soundtrack to small moments of my life that I can look back on with happiness. Even before I recieved Arbiter in the mail, I had listened to 'H.A. Wallace Space Academy over one hundred twenty times, including many while I was once again, walking, only this time the walking was for my career. One of my top two or three favorite bands in my teenage years is better in my eyes now at 28 years old; without releasing Arbiter yet, mind you, there is a bit of bias to this write up.

Hopesfall records play out like individual, yet vital, cinematic experiences. Each song an important scene worth watering your eyes and ears over with a feeling that you can't blink, you don't want to miss a second.

Starting with A Types and by the time of Magnetic North, lead vocalist Jay developed a style where he scrutinized over every word he delivered, giving the best performance his mind would allow him to. Sometimes you have no idea what he's saying and looking at it as artsy is easy for many to do, and many even list this particularity about Hopesfall and Jay himself as something that makes the band better. Within a dozen listens of A Types and then Magnetic North I would already be dreaming of how the next album will entertain me. After Magnetic North I've had to wait for eleven full years for that answer and the worst and best part was that every album in Hopesfalls discography grew on me during that time.

Well...Arbiter seems like more of a grower than any previous Hopesfall release...

Every part of the band seems energized on this new album. The sound is dense like Deftones, but more complicated. The screaming seems prevalent, then you think the singing is the more prevalent. Then you're not sure. While Jay is off crooning the guitars appear out of nowhere, emphasizing themselves loudly, to a dramatic degree. Adam Morgan's drum work is absolutely impeccable, bring some of the same feel from Satellite Years strictly in terms of rhythm. However, there are plenty of moments all over this album that hearken back to each of the bands previous incarnations.

Whether you know who Hopesfall is or not, 'Faint Object Camera' will probably surprise and impress you. 'H.A. Wallace Space Academy' and 'Bradley Fighting Vehicle' give the listener a strong sense of new adventure. I sifted through 'C.S. Lucky One' and 'I Catapult' looking for more than I could find the first time around and had to return to appreciate them. 'Tunguska' provides a soothing jump start back onto a path that distracts you with all kinds of guitar laden and vocal harmonized beauty. 'Aphelion' will serenely, but solidly, set up a dizzying climax in the two punch combo of 'Drowning Potential' and 'To Bloom'. Everything settles upon the anticipated arrival of 'Indignation and the Rise of the Arbiter', displaying the most upbeat performance found on all of Arbiter. Finding the bonus track 'Revolt, Revolve' will satisfy any last cravings you had for an end credits scene.

I've built up anticipation for eleven years. After eleven listens of Arbiter I am not let down by that burning desire. I have a new piece of art that I will appreciate for another eleven years regardless of what Hopesfall does next, but I'm sure over those years my journey through the land of Arbiter will be worth the time.

Earth Crisis SlitherHopesfall A Types
Super Snake Leap of LoveSenses Fail From the Depths of Dreams
Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Lucman (4.5)
Arbiter introduces yet another progressive step in the band’s evolution, resulting in one of their...

AriDoe (4)
"Staring at the sky for years..."...

Armandoman12 (5)
“A meteor just entered the sky…”...

mservilio (4.5)
Hopesfall triumphantly return after an 11-year hiatus to craft their 5th full-length "Arbiter"......

Storm In An Alien Rowwwww-BOT OH OH OH OH OH

Darius The Imposter
July 14th 2018

Gotta say that album art is a beaut

also pos

calmrose

this review is yikes

July 14th 2018

i followed the mynameischan format where i don't talk about the album much and instead talk about myself. nothing can have gone wrong.

agreed darius and thanks!

Dewinged

20598 Comments

You love this album Storm, we get it, but I think you could have used a better summary and focus the review in what the album actually is about instead of how much it means to you.

Digging: Cave In - Jupiter

July 14th 2018

"focus the review in what the album actually is about instead of how much it means to you."

Any album better be about what it means to me. I'm in this music listening business for my own satisfaction damnit.

Darius The Imposter
July 14th 2018

eh I gave him the pos. yeah it couldve been a little better written. but let him have his moment

when Brand New Science Fiction came out last year it spawned more bad reviews of people both positively and negatively circlejerking it in a matter of days than probably the last 10 years combined

that summary is cringe tho id change it tbh

July 14th 2018

The Chan format is for arrogant writers who prefer to talk more about themselves than the actual thing they're reviewing. Not a good template! That said, I didn't read the review. Just saw "14 years old", which is the target demographic for this sort of thing

sixdegrees

Digging: Even As We Speak - Feral Pop Frenzy

calmrose
July 14th 2018

^that sentence is just...I don't even know what's going on

July 14th 2018

Sometimes you have no idea what he's saying

sixdegrees
July 14th 2018

something about that series of words isn't sitting right with me

Dewinged

20598 Comments

"I'm in this music listening business for my own satisfaction damnit."

Fair enough.

July 14th 2018

"something about that series of words isn't sitting right with me"

looking at it as artsy is easy for many to do

July 14th 2018

Nvm read the review. So many grammatical errors I can't even

:-)

luci

July 14th 2018

"The Chan format is for arrogant writers who prefer to talk more about themselves than the actual thing they're reviewing."

this is this greatest thing you'll ever say or do on this website

July 14th 2018

"lead vocalist Jay developed a style where every line he delivered was scrutinized by his wind pipes as vibrations were made into the noise that resulted in what was recorded for a Hopesfall album"

This is word salad. His wind pipes scrutinized his lines as vibrations were made into the noise that resulted in what was recorded for Hopesfall? Did you have a stroke?

SteakByrnes