Retirement Party
Somewhat Literate

by chris. USER (44 Reviews)
July 9th, 2018 | 5 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I think cancer's gonna kill me, 'cause I got a real bad sunburn when I was 13.

“Retirement Party spent 34 minutes of my time letting every single stray thought or worry that pops into their head out into my headphones. Wait, that looks kinda negative putting it like that. I don’t mean-- I don’t want to come across as having that time wasted. But I can’t figure out any better way to describe it, that’s the album, that’s what it is. I don’t know. I guess it’s a hopeless endeavour to get you excited by describing it by what it is. Maybe I should close the tab and try again later…”

The whole exchange in the previous paragraph is my best attempt at encapsulating the nervous energy behind the lyricism and performance of Somewhat Literate. I really do mean nervous energy in a good way, though. Backed by some giant hooks on a foundation of punk beats and emo influence, Retirement Party dumps all of their shortcomings and fears in just such an endearing way. Authenticity oozes out of every catchy guitar hook and chorus that features lead vocalist Avery Springer’s distinctive vocal style and lyrics that focus on the minute details of day-to-day life. This album slipped past my radar by a couple months, but giving it a few spins now has been a blast. With a sound on par with other great bands like Worlds Greatest Dad and Charmer, Retirement Party can safely be called another torch-bearer for the newish emo/punk sound that’s been making waves over the past 2 years or so.

Joyce Manor Million Dollars To Kill MeThe Story So Far Proper Dose
Soundtrack (Television) Adventure Time: Come Along with Me (Original SouBoston Manor Welcome to the Neighbourhood
As It Is The Great DepressionTrophy Eyes The American Dream

July 10th 2018

hi, since writing this the average went up .2 points, thanks guys. this band is pretty cool, so if you're reading this right now and STILL haven't checked them out yet, go do that.

thanks for the pos also.

Digging: The Story So Far - Proper Dose

JigglyPDiddy
July 10th 2018

Is this a suburban blues/pop punk ordeal?

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - Benji

no not really

Drubbi
July 11th 2018

This album makes me want to rev my dad's toyota pickup while wearing nail polish

Digging: Brockhampton - Iridescence