Six Feet Under
Unburied

2.0
poor

by SomeGuyDude USER (35 Reviews)
July 9th, 2018 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Unremarkable, unnecessary, unoffensive.

I'm fully aware the word is "inoffensive," but I wanted to get the un- motif, okay" Okay.

Six Feet Under has always been something akin to getting a meal at Sheetz for me (if you live up in the right area). Of course it's kinda trash, but it's pretty damn satisfying a lot of the time. I rather like the more "rock and roll" death metal vibe that SFU pumps out, and after liking pretty much everything from Undead onward, I was pretty stoked to see a new album pop up on my list.

Allllllll right, so. This is a compilation of unreleased tracks from the Undead/Unborn/Torment sessions (no Crypt for some reason), and Chris Barnes has stated proudly in interviews that "the songs are all in their rawest and earliest form." Now, listening to SFU in general is kind of a crap shoot to begin with. There aren't a ton of bands that have a disparity that wide between their best and worst material, so the idea of pulling out all the songs that didn't make the cut definitely puts one on edge and while some of these tracks are pretty damn good, it's obvious that there was a reason they weren't featured on their respective album.

I admit, I was ready to give this a flat 1.0 from the opening track. Violent Blood Eruption has some of the most garbage production I have ever heard in death metal. It is absolutely atrocious. Zero bass to the mix whatsoever, and not in a cool black metal Paysage D'Hiver way, more like the guy producing it was using a set of Beats and tried to make it sound balanced with them. The song is bland to begin with (surprise!) so garbage production makes it a legitimately unpleasant listen. The second track is... slightly better, but weirdly hollow and still thin sounding despite the bass being present. The production bounces around throughout, but is at least passable outside of, for some reason, the last track. I have no idea why they bookended this album with the worst-sounding songs, but there you go.

Reviewing a SFU under almost feels like a formality, because in terms of songcraft they're about as meat and potatoes as it gets. Every song has a basic stomp to it, midpaced compositions with very few frills, but again that's the reason I've always liked them. When Gore Hungry Maniac kicks in, that old feeling of fun and simple death metal kicks in again. It's worth saying that Barnes' vocals are as torched and barely functional as ever, but again. Part of the charm. Some might say they conflict with the music, I say they complement it. The only issue is that none of the songs give much reason for existing. Each one very much sounds like a b-side rather than a hidden gem. A compilation of unreleased tracks should be "we didn't have room for these awesome songs," not obvious chaff that got culled.

The only real standout is As the Dying Scream, which was composed by Jeff Hughell, the bassist from Brain Drill and other really off-kilter tech death projects. It doesn't sound nearly that off-kilter, but it has enough variety to make it stand out from the pack in a good way. Other than that, there's just no need for this to exist.

Born to Murder the World The Infinite Mirror Of Millennial NarcissismXavlegbmaofffassssit.... Gore 2.0
Zeal and Ardor Stranger FruitSkinless Savagery
Hegemone We DisappearThe Body I have fought against it, But I can’t any longer
1.9
poor

Digging: Blahzay Blahzay - Blah Blah Blah

19537 Comments

Sheetz food isn't great but at least they sell Krispy Kremes there. No such silver linings for this band lol.

Digging: Infernal Coil - Within a World Forgotten

SomeGuyDude
July 9th 2018

"Album art is so similar to one of the previous albums I couldn't tell this was new"

It's actually a melding of Unborn and Undead's art, to signify that it's a new album. Well, "new" album.

19537 Comments

it's actually just a compilation of b-side shit, but there's no diff between the two so the confusion is entirely understandable.

Doctuses

Chris Barnes is a pussy

TheWonderSoFar
July 9th 2018

I mean these guys haven’t done anything worth listening to since their debut..................

Darius

Chris Barnes is a pussy [2]

July 9th 2018

lol this band is still recording

Ahaaaaaaaa this fucking band

Hard to believe this guy did fucking Tomb of the Mutilated

yeah no doubt

I'm debating not listening to it and giving it a 1

19537 Comments

it's not actually *that* bad... it's just a mishmash of stuff that doesn't work together.

July 9th 2018

pretty much sounds like a definition of bad to me

19537 Comments

ye but it's not like torsofuck bad

July 9th 2018

Oh my God it's so bad already

SomeGuyDude
July 9th 2018

Like I said, I was gonna just straight up 1.0 it from the first track and the second didn't help, but after that I found enough to enjoy that all I can say is it's bad but not atrocious.

Granted, the fact that this dude has been making music since the 80s and still doesn't seem to get better at it is hilarious.

vermillionZ

Just bury them again..

Yeah it gets a little better as it goes on but I'm thinking 1.5

I feel bad because Chris Barnes Twitter account is adorable af with all of his crying laughing emojis so I want to 5 it but I can't :-(

necropig
July 10th 2018

Could make a better drum sound with a biscuit tin and a pringles tube

Digging: Monolithe - Monolithe III

Eons
July 10th 2018

RAH RAH RAH RAH chugga chugga guitar solo RAHHHHh. End of song.

Seriously the first song is like 2 minutes long. Also how come some songs sound like they were differently produced than the others? The first few songs are OK but then the production goes downhill as it goes on. Bizarre.