We The Kings

awful

by SowingSeason STAFF
July 7th, 2018 | 52 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oh, how the extremely average have fallen.

There was a time when We The Kings were a reasonably fun pop-punk outfit. Their self-titled debut album hit us in the feels with the unrequited love of ‘Secret Valentine’ and the “run away with me” aura of ‘Check Yes Juliet.’ Even then, though, they felt a little bit like a poor man’s Yellowcard – the chords were extremely basic, the percussion did only what it needed to, and the instrumentation as a whole left a lot to be desired. However, front man Travis Clark was always able to right the ship with his sincere vocal delivery and relatable lyrics. Even as the music behind all the sentiments began to evaporate on Smile Kid, there was enough present to result in some of their catchiest pop-punk numbers to date. The reason We The Kings fell off the face of the planet after that is because they continued to allow their ambition to atrophy. By Sunshine State of Mind, we were no longer listening to pop-punk anymore at all. They’d reached Relient K-at-their-worst levels of cutesy poptimism, and that was about the time when any remaining fans with dignity jumped ship. Then, instead of learning from their mistakes and attempting to beef up their sound, they continued chasing super poppy pop-punk stardom – a goal that anyone with knowledge of music trends post-2010 would have immediately recognized as a dangling carrot on the front of a bicycle. Nevertheless, nearly eight years later, We The Kings are still fervently pedaling.

One might expect more biting sarcasm, but the truth is that there’s no expectations left to be disappointed by. On an album that is as uninspired as its title (Six), the band goes through the motions one more time, presumably for money’s sake – because there’s absolutely nothing else that this could be about. Eleven pop songs, all overproduced, vying for a memorable chorus that could hopefully stick a landing near the bottom of some sort of alternative chart, somewhere…and that’s the best case scenario. Some of the tracks are inoffensively pleasant enough (‘On My Love’ glides by smoothly, ‘The Ocean and the Sun’ has some vague warmth to it and a cool little electro-pop culmination), but even then nobody could accuse them of sounding inspired. From there it very quickly devolves into a tepid pool of homogeneous adult-alternative-accessible-contemporary-radio-pop, or whatever you’d consider Boys Like Girls or The Plain White T’s to be, and you end up with songs like ‘Mama Knows Best.’ The closest they come to resembling a band with something to prove is ‘Planes, Trains, & Cars’ – a candidate right along with ‘Mama Knows Best’ for worst song title of the year – where there is an audible electric guitar riff (gasp!) and even a pretty interesting drum fill. Of course things fizzle out after this, and lead up to the predictably whiny piano ballad closer, ‘What I Wouldn’t Give.’ It’s doubtful that We The Kings will change now that they’re four albums into a repetitive cycle of glossed over, irrelevant mainstream ideas. And why would they?Someone out there must still be buying their music, so more power to them. But rest assured that when they eventually get tired of making the same songs over and over again, and finally hang up the mic, absolutely no one will care.

Vessel Queen of Golden DogsMolly Burch First Flower

oops

Digging: Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

onionbubs

yep this is horrible

Digging: Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?

July 7th 2018

Just like that Train album from last year, this will most likely just be an objectivity boost for you all.

sempiturtle
July 7th 2018

Biggest one hit wonder in pop-punk tbh

July 7th 2018

The redhead's long hair used to mesmerize me when I was a kid

Digging: The Presets - Hi Viz

SitarHero
July 7th 2018

Fuckin hard pos for that summary! xD

AsleepInTheBack
July 7th 2018

Tight rev. May check out of morbid curiosity / for that objectivity boost.

July 7th 2018

thanks lol - yeah this was a morbid curiosity thing for me as well...I always at least check in to see if they've returned to their roots, but they're now 0/4 on their last 4 LPs.

Keyblade
July 7th 2018

now i know why i randomly had Check Yes Juliet in my head all day, i must have seen this thread

July 7th 2018

sorry about that, no one should have to suffer like that

(except I'd like it)

dfevil085
July 7th 2018

Literally have not thought about these guys since my freshman year, and that was only because they played a show during Welcome Week or something like that.
Good to know I'm not missing much.

Lucman
July 7th 2018

Only know about three songs from this band and none of them are all that great. I'll spin it though and maybe add another 1 to the collection.

Digging: Rivers and Robots - Discovery

Ebola
July 7th 2018

rain is falling down on the sidewalk

Lucman
July 7th 2018

Hahahaha, I've reached "Mama Knows Best." I see where you're coming from, Sowing. This is bad.

Papa Universe
July 8th 2018

There is something Sowing doesn't like?

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic

July 8th 2018

Believe it or not

RadicalEd

Masochist.

Digging: KOAN Sound - Polychrome

BlackMalachite
July 9th 2018

Not really that bad tbh, just average uneventful radio rock.

July 9th 2018

Yeah I get that. But this is their 4th in a row just like this after a decent start to their career. Just tired and worn at this point.

Veldin
July 9th 2018

i waited an hour in a line to get an autograph for my gf's sister back in their "heyday" and they were pretentious twats.