Night Verses
From the Gallery of Sleep

by Claire Q. CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2018 | 716 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “We don’t know who we are, we don’t know where we are”

The concept of From the Gallery of Sleep, according to Night Verses, revolves around “the inexplicably limitless parameters we operate through in our dreams.” Importantly, the focus turns out to be on parameters, rather than on limitlessness, and it is within the framework of modesty and limitations that Night Verses paint an achingly beautiful dreamscape. There are no more vocals, only snippets of spoken-word samples that confirm the theme of the work; the instrumentation is kept to a minimal 3-piece set-up, with all electronic effects being hand-triggered.

For once, in describing From the Gallery of Sleep, I’m comfortable using the vague adjective of “human.” The background effects on “Lira” recall the sound of breathing; Aric Improta’s nimble drumming is imbued with soulfulness; the guitarwork, as rapidly as it ascends and descends through intricate melodies, does not give any airs of attempting to transcend human physical ability. (Contrast this to the likes of Animals as Leaders, if you wish.) Swelling riffs and unpredictable manipulations of tension mirror the irrational intensities of dream emotions; motifs are succinct, and linger just long enough to make an impression before giving way. The expression of “imperfection is human” becomes “irregularity is human” -- a gentler conception.

What, then, of the specific dreamscape that From the Gallery of Sleep creates" It promises adventure -- the jazzy, mellow “Infinity Beach” is akin to the experience of seeing a psychedelic sunset reflecting on the waves; the frequent use of double harmonic scales (which we commonly think of as sounding “Arabic”) feels foreign in the context of oft-heavy, guitar-driven instrumental music. At its most delicate and languorous, the album seduces -- eerie, chiming harmonics, lulls and sombre acoustic meditations, even the unexpected grooves of “No.0”. All the more shocking, then, when it changes course -- towering riffs appearing from the blue, rapid-fire drum fills, rhythms slipping into syncopation.

And much to my surprise, I’m finding that I think of From the Gallery of Sleep as sweetly endearing. This would seem to jar with my first impression of the album: mysterious, sprawling, often tense. But if anything, the word to use is curious. From the Gallery of Sleep subjects itself to a diverse set of moods and landscapes, united by unique parameters that the production sets up. It’s clean, almost cool to the touch, but never sterile or lifeless; it suggests a degree of lucidity. Through evocation of the unusual, we’re led to visualize unfamiliar lands: on the organic side, hand drums on “Vantablonde” and muted bells on “Balboa”; on the inorganic side, uncanny electronic noises that bubble up and distort.

That From the Gallery of Sleep dances so gracefully from scene to scene is why it endears. Think of dream plots: upon conscious reflection, they never make much sense, and yet they feel impactful and coherent during the dream itself. That sense of coherence often survives after you’ve awaken, even as its logic falls under scrutiny. From the Gallery of Sleep seems to capture at least a fleeting impression of that particular feeling -- no small feat.

portrayal of guilt Let Pain Be Your GuideEntheos (CAN) Le Zahir
Hail the Sun Mental KnifeEnon High Society
Colour AnthologyBaptists Beacon of Faith
tyman128 (5)
"I'm the devil. You didn't know that?"...

July 2nd 2018

Best instrumental album i've heard in at least a couple of years.

Digging: Muse - Simulation Theory

niiiicccceeee

album rules hard

Digging: Architects - Holy Hell

July 3rd 2018

i am so obsessed with this album that it's 90% of what i'm currently listening to

i agree that it might be the best instrumental album that's appeared in a while

Digging: Milanku - De Fragments

SteakByrnes
July 3rd 2018

Hell yea Claire, great review and album rules hard :] Listened through it like 5 times again last night while reading

Digging: Joji - Ballads 1

July 3rd 2018

It could eventually become a 5, it's riddled with perfect, magic moments.

loving the album's atmosphere

hell yeah

i'm holding off from the 5 for now but if i'm still jamming this obsessively in a couple of weeks i might just have to bump

July 3rd 2018

"Also the production is amazing (almost feels cool to the touch)"

this from your soundoff is just perfect, exactly how I feel

July 3rd 2018

The thing is that I love instrumental albums, but they eventually bore me. Not the case with this one, it's so varied and layered. Fucking love it.

July 3rd 2018

definitely, it feels like there's always something new to discover

TooManyFriends
July 3rd 2018

gonna bump my rating very soon i think. i knew these guys were good but i wasn't sure they could make a consistently engaging 60 minute instrumental album. they did and then some

SteakByrnes
July 3rd 2018

Balboa, Earthless, Phoenix IV: Levitation, and Trading Shadows are my top tracks right now

henryChinaski
July 3rd 2018

Can't stop listening to No.0!!!

No.0 is so groovy, i love it

TooManyFriends
July 3rd 2018

it's truly amazing that they play everything you hear on this album live with three members and no backing track

ramon.
July 3rd 2018

oOooOOOoooOo noice review duderino, legend has it Aric fingered a man once to subvert the metaphor

Prancer

no.0 sounds like a Dionaea song

DDDeftoneDDD
July 3rd 2018

very good ...still undecided between 3.5 and 4. It seems like a much more technical APC without the vocals.

Digging: Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury

AsleepInTheBack
July 3rd 2018

Hyped as heck for this. Nice write up claire. I wouldn't mind a few more direct descriptions in places, as I'm still not entirely sure what to expect from this, but I do enjoy your style regardless

Piglet
July 3rd 2018

this is like if tool cheated on maynard with animals as leaders

GUD review chocolate eclaire