Goldfrapp
Silver Eye

by Benjamin Kuettel STAFF
July 2nd, 2018 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Silver Eye is an engrossing, synthesizer-heavy concoction of the duo’s previous work distilled into a pure element only they could create.

Goldfrapp are one of those special groups that truly reinvent themselves with each album cycle. From making occultish ambient music and lush neofolk to pop hits heard in nightclubs and mainstream radio, they’re one of the most versatile bands of the 21st century. It’s fitting that the main theme of their slickly produced new album, Silver Eye, is of transformation. Nearly twenty years of songwriting experience since the band’s formation has resulted in a highly focused, acutely well-made result. The opening two songs, “Anymore” and “Systemagic” begin the record in an accessible, inviting way that recalls Black Cherry and Supernature. While those records feel like their time of the early 2000s, Silver Eye is an ominous, surreal vision of the future. Despite being one of their more mainstream records, much of it is in line with the ethereal, layered songwriting of Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree while traversing wholly different musical styles. No matter what your favorite era of Goldfrapp is, there’s something for everyone to appreciate. Slow-building, cinematic deep cuts like “Tigerman,” “Faux Suede Drifter,” and “Zodiac Black” in particular are highlights while the singles (“Anymore,” “Systemagic,” “Everything is Never Enough,” and “Ocean”) are examples of the band’s unique brand of pop music that sounds like no one else. Everything sounds coated in a chrome sheen of black, silver, and orange that unfolds dramatically, with some of the most consistent songwriting of the group’s career. Silver Eye is another innovative offering from Goldfrapp that is able to sound both organic and coldly mechanical at the same time; it acknowledges their adventurous past while being another rewarding stage of their evolution altogether.

A Perfect Circle Eat the ElephantEno, Moebius and Roedelius After the Heat
Harold Budd The Pavilion of DreamsDavid Sylvian and Robert Fripp The First Day
Laraaji Ambient 3: Day of RadianceUlver Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

July 2nd 2018

This review was a long time coming, decided to go with the concise approach. Band needs more love on this site. I can hardly find any discussion of this album anywhere on here, what do people think of this? It really grew on me over time. There's especially so much to appreciate in the deep tracks.

Digging: Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die And Love Will Bury It

"Ocean"...what a song

July 2nd 2018

Yeah it's a dark way to end the album, I love it.

Frippertronics

nice

Digging: Derek Bailey - Aida

July 2nd 2018

Album and band are so good. Funny you reviewed this, was just listening to it a couple daya ago for the first time in a while

Dewinged
July 2nd 2018

Nice of you reviewing this Talons, thanks. Its a great album for sure. "Faux Suede Drifter" is one the best songs they ever made.

Digging: Black Fast - Spectre of Ruin

klap
July 3rd 2018

11920 Comments

Anymore = ch00n

Digging: Dean Forever - Dean Forever

July 4th 2018

I think Faux Suede Drifter and Zodiac Black are my favs. Tigerman is up there too.

Damn Rudy

July 4th 2018

Fripp lowered his rating and klap raised his I think.

Demon of the Fall
July 4th 2018

Does this Felt Mountain, or not really?

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

July 4th 2018

Not really that album's one of a kind.

.1 increments are dumb

klap

11920 Comments

Only listened to this a few times, I’ll give it some more spins

July 5th 2018

About damn time this got a review, kudos to you!

This is probably my least favourite Goldfrapp, but has its moments for sure

July 5th 2018

I think this is better than Black Cherry, Supernature, and Head First. More depth and weirdness to it than those.

July 8th 2018

This is great

Digging: Collections Of Colonies Of Bees - HAWAII

July 10th 2018

I've got a soft spot for Head First but agree that this is probably a better album. Guess it works as a more ethereal companion piece on par with Supernature, but nothing touches Black Cherry - far and away their best electro album for me

July 10th 2018

Sowing you jam any of their others? Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree are essentials.

I like this more overall than Black Cherry, but I don't know if any track on here is as good as the t/t, Deep Honey, or Hairy Trees.

Mmm that lot plus Tiptoe, Strict Machine and the opener are a dream

Felt Mountain, Tales of Us and Seventh Tree (in that order tbh) are totally essential tbh, Goldfrapp needs more love on this site in general