Yawning Man
The Revolt Against Tired Noises

by insomniac15 STAFF
June 20th, 2018 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The return of the desert rock gods…

One of the most influential bands for the ‘90s stoner rock sphere (and at the same time the most obscure of all) got seriously back in business in the last couple of years. In between tours, Yawning Man released the half hour jam, Historical Graffiti, showcasing some lovely music harkening back to Rock Formations or Nomadic Pursuits. Now, The Revolt Against Tired Noises moves a few steps forward on their sonic path, merging the old with new directions. The laid back tunes are still at a crossroads between blissfully melodic and thrilling build-ups, but they are complemented by punchier segments. Even so, having Gary Arce and Mario Lalli at the helm, any changes come wrapped in that gorgeous, familiar sound of theirs.

Musically, Yawning Man are often thrown into the category they influenced, still the guys are not coming that close to it. There are few distorted moments, relying mostly on spaced out jams instead. Gary Arce’s guitar sounds closer to post rock and its psychedelic leanings make the title track and ‘Black Kite’ wonderful, relaxed listens. ‘The Revolt Against Tired Noises’ boasts a waltzing rhythm that reminds a bit of ‘Perpetual Oyster’, however, the wandering notes travel miles away from it. Meanwhile, ‘Ghost Beach’ feels like a soundtrack to an early morning walk by the sea. The chilly guitar leads float above the pounding drums, beautifully contrasting one another. As the bass kicks in, the song gets this welcomed, powerful boost. Unlike Historical Graffiti, which was recorded in Buenos Aires, Argentina, this LP saw the guys returning to Joshua Tree, California and you can hear this slight return to roots. Sometimes the ambiance changes the overall vibe more than we’d think.

The iconic trio offered us a few surprises as well, incorporating vocals on the wavy ‘Grant’s Heart’ & ‘Catamaran’, a song which officially saw the light of day in 1995 as a cover done by Kyuss on …And the Circus Leaves Town. The former’s smooth progressions are nicely backed by chunky bass lines, whereas the latter features some really lush dynamics. Although considerably airier than Kyuss’ version, ‘Catamaran’ received a crystalline production, yet managed to retain the dramatic choruses. The vocals sound interesting, as the layering, alongside the reverb and echo, brought a slightly alien-like tone, which works well with the music. On the other hand, the fragmented drum patterns mixed with straightforward ones on ‘Violent Lights’ or ‘Skyline Pressure’ make these cuts some of the most alluring on the record. The effects-soaked leads are driven by Lalli’s versatile playing style, especially during the meandering parts of ‘Skyline Pressure’. There’s an entire spectrum of emotions that Yawning Man’s music evokes and I’m happy they still manage to “move” the listener. These seasoned musicians have played in several bands, nevertheless, the magic is at its most beautiful when they get back together. From The Birth of Sol demos to The Revolt Against Tired Noises, we received a handful of sincere albums where you can hear their musical prowess and tight chemistry. I hope these won't cease, so we can get more quality music in the near future.

YOB Our Raw HeartChihei Hatakeyama Butterfly's Summer and Vanished
Church of the Cosmic Skull Science FictionBong Thought and Existence
God Is an Astronaut EpitaphMidas Fall Evaporate

June 20th 2018

Another excellent album. I hope this fares better than Historical Graffiti to the listeners, because it deserves it. The LP will be out on July 6.

'Ghost Beach' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osq0ZUnCG9s

Digging: Xiu Xiu - Forget

June 20th 2018

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss great revy insomniac, love this band, so happy we don't have to wait 5-6 years for another LP, can't wait to hear this

June 20th 2018

Didn't know this was coming. Niiiiiiiiice. And good write up as always Insomniac.

Digging: Black Fast - Spectre of Ruin

butcherboy
June 20th 2018

glad this got a write-up.. solid album with some truly breathtaking moments..

June 21st 2018

Oh my God, I'm so hype. Yawning Man take me to a warm, nostalgic place that no other act does.

One of the most aesthetically distinct groups in all of music, and one of my favourite bands ever. Ghost Beach is the group's freshest track since Dark Meet from the Fatso Jetson split. Deafheaven and now Yawning Man - July cannot get here any fucking sooner!

How did the two of You hear this? Promotional copies? Envious af

neekafat
June 21st 2018

I thought QotSA were the desert rock gods

Aiwaz

Kyuss*

Digging: Fragments of Unbecoming - Skywards: A Sylphe's Ascension

neekafat

Close enough

June 22nd 2018

Naw m8, it all started with Yawning Man back in mid 80s in the Palm Desert scene. The bands You've mentioned have said as much themselves. Obviously the argument can be made that Kyuss were the best act to come of these subcultures, but Yawning Man and those Palm Desert jams was the genesis. Check out The Birth of Sol if You're curious :3

June 22nd 2018

I demand insomniac and butcher stop ignoring nemeton's comment and tell us how we can listen to this right here right now

butcherboy
June 22nd 2018

it leaked on torrents weeks ago..

"I thought QotSA were the desert rock gods"

they're cock pop gods nowadays..

June 23rd 2018

Yeah, I got the promo. I don't post reviews before the release that, however, I am on holiday and wanted to submit it before I left.

Maybe it helps this way to create some hype

June 23rd 2018

These guys influenced Homme, Brant Bjork, John Garcia and just about anyone growing up around Joshua Tree, CA in the late 80s

July 5th 2018

Here's a stream of the album - http://heavypsychsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/yawning-man-the-revolt-against-tired-noises

July 6th 2018

Nice, will check

AcidCaravan
July 9th 2018

Great band. Mario Lalli is the man. Even tho I prefer his other band, the almighty Fatso Jetson. I'll give this a spin...

conesmoke
July 9th 2018

Wtf

July 14th 2018

Finally getting into this. All the amazing I thought it would be.

July 14th 2018

Holy shit their (original) version of Catamaran is mesmerizing. So good.