DJ Healer

by house cat STAFF
June 18th, 2018 | 62 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Quick One Before the Dormant Sun Rises

This is that review that falls short of the mark. This is that review that attempts, fruitlessly, to explain how Nothing 2 Loose, Traumprinz’ latest record under the DJ Healer moniker, is a masterwork. This is the review that tries its hardest not to implicitly liken subjective experience to the quality of such music as it stands against other, similar works. Spoiler warning: it fails spectacularly. This is a review falling short of the mark.

And this is that album that fashions quiet hymnals out of ambient house music; produced with a steady hand, sounding effortless yet nevertheless proving quite meticulously crafted once you glance beneath the looped vocal samples. This is that unassuming album; one that never set out to exist for -- or have an impact on -- anyone but the man who created it (file under: self-help) but it does so anyway, wandering in on your daily routine like an old friend rocking up on your doorstep after years of radio silence on their end. This is that album that uses said restraint to induce a spiritual experience in secular minds. It’s one that creates an unbreakable link between the idea of introspection, of taking a step back, with the idea of divinity; ergo creating a world in which God is found in the quiet spaces, the sparse synth motifs signifying the hibernation of an anxious brain. I don’t believe in Him. This is that album that makes me feel like I do. Above all, this is that album I've come to love moreso than any other this year. It's comfortable in its spirituality and gentle in its approach. Other producers may well be on the level DJ Healer is, but none can parallel the judicious use of samples, the perfect synthesis of minimal house beats and ambient swathes, that this record so deftly exhibits.

This is a review that grapples with the ineffable, the implacably lovely, and because of it, it doesn’t quite know where to begin.

Drug Church CHEERcolourblind Move Like You

ur beautiful

yessssss

ProjectFreak
June 18th 2018

I hate how you wrote a review about not being able to write a review and it's magnificent, and now I'm jealous. Also bitter that it's not on Spotify.

it's a vinyl-only release

it on slsk homies

btw, different beasts but i liked Mudshadow Propaganda a bit more than this release

hal1ax

This is nice

Chortles
June 18th 2018

love this Jack. i find all traum's work to be somewhat ineffable, but this moniker/album really takes that feeling to the next level, so this "REVIEW" feels perfectly suited. xx

June 18th 2018

This sounds like my kind of thing

Digging: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Organisation

Evok
June 18th 2018

so is this still a vinyl only release?

Digging: Break - Another Way

June 18th 2018

yeah there's no web release. all the downloads are vinyl rips

brainmelter

very nioce

Digging: Hissing - Permanent Destitution

Like the Have A Nice Life reference. This album is pure bliss

< 3

June 19th 2018

"Like the Have A Nice Life reference. This album is pure bliss"

wait how did I miss this, what is the reference?

oltnabrick

Big fan of this

Digging: Tomb Mold - Cerulean Salvation

@motoko

the summary

"the summary"

ah crap, somehow missed that. thought dj healer had made a HANL reference in track titles or something lmao

June 19th 2018

on unrelated note, the only US copy of Mudshadow Propaganda pressing is being sold for $200 on discogs RIP

June 20th 2018

I was telling Lucid earlier that I first heard "At Last" while driving along the riverfront during a thunderstorm. Couldn't imagine a more perfect song to be playing. Maybe that's why it's my favourite song here, despite it being so minimal. It's hauntingly beautiful.