Frank Sinatra
Songs for Swingin' Lovers!

by AugustWest1990 USER (39 Reviews)
June 13th, 2018 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1956 | Tracklist

Having fully hit their stride on "In the Wee Small Hours," the team of Sinatra and arranger Nelson Riddle followed up the definitive collection of Sinatra ballads with the definitive collection of Sinatra swingers, 1956's "Songs for Swingin' Lovers."

In contrast to the melancholy mood of "In the Wee Small Hours," "Songs for Young Lovers!" is relentlessly upbeat. It begins with a timeless Sinatra classic: the ebulent opening horns of "You Make Me Feel So Young" are an invitation to the listener, encouraging them to join Ol' Blue Eyes on an aural stroll filled with laughter, romance, and above all, great music.

The remaining 14 songs are a winning combo of great singing and sophisticated orchestrations from the great Nelson Riddle. Of particular note are the sly, wistful "It Happened in Monterey," the intoxicating "You're Getting to be a Habit with Me," the bittersweet "I Thought About You," and a supremely confident, humorous "Makin' Whoopee." And of course, the record houses Frank's legendary, unimpeachable take on Cole Porter's "I've Got You Under My Skin," which combines one Frank's most technically and emotionally perfect vocal performances with Riddle's most exciting, smartly constructed chart; the way the strings and horns intertwine with each other as they steadily build toward Milt Bernhart legendary climactic trombone solo is a clinic in how to use dynamics properly as a way of building tension and anticipation.

From start to finish, "Songs for Young Lovers!" is probably Frank's most enjoyable album. It possesses a breezy, springlike charm that is immediately warm and enchanting. In a period where Frank was knocking out killer albums like clockwork, this one still manages to stand out as one of the very best of his entire output.

Prince EmancipationChris Cornell Euphoria Morning
Elton John In Australia With The Melbourne SymphonyThe Rolling Stones Dirty Work
Frank Sinatra Some Nice Things I've MissedBruce Springsteen The Rising

TheLongShot
June 12th 2018

Sorry dude, but this album deserved a better review. Way too short and doesn't look like it was proof-read at all. You're discussing a record that you claim (and I agree) to be one of Sinatra's best: if you're going to take a position like that, write a review that defends said claim well. Don't just churn this shit out like a fucking assembly line

RobertZDar
June 12th 2018

Admitting that Frank Sinatra sucks is one of the hardest things about being white.

TheLongShot
June 13th 2018

Stating that something objectively sucks is one of the easiest ways of displaying idiocy

neekafat

12024 Comments

Unless it's Corey Feldman

50iL
June 13th 2018

idk, I dig the review's length; I'm a sucker for short reviews. However, this could have been proofread and beefed up in the description area a tad bit. Still, not bad.

Digging: NoMeansNo - Wrong