Natalie Hemby

by Atari STAFF
June 10th, 2018 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The finer things in life are worn

I like Natalie Hemby’s way of thinking. On Puxico, the singer-songwriter is focused primarily on two things: places and memories. With “Worn” we get a pretty good glimpse of what she thinks of fancy, new sh*t: I find the finer things worth keeping are worn/the lines on your mother’s face/the bible that your daddy saved, she hums, with that heavenly voice of hers. Forget the shiny new car; Hemby seems more content within the motion of an aging Ferris wheel or the confines of her childhood home. These aren’t sappy recollections of the good old days, though. Instead, the musician has found pure contentment through simplicity. The album takes the less-is-more approach, painting colorful portraits from life’s most ordinary scenery. Being confined within a fairground on a summer day is nothing new to us, but her intricate lyrics resurrect the childlike innocence we once felt.

Although Puxico starts off with some solid, bright country-pop tunes, it’s a few tracks on, with “Cairo, IL” that the singer really starts to hit her stride. In fact, it ignites the start of the album’s strongest run – one that doesn’t break speed until the final notes of “Return.” The last handful of tracks are, hands down, the best representation of Hemby’s songwriting prowess. Good lord, can this lady write a hook. “This Town Still Talks About You” has a breezy, distinct chorus that won’t be leaving your head anytime soon. The same could be said about “I’ll Remember How You loved Me” and “Worn”: tracks that cut to the core with their potent lyricism. With an appetite for breezy melodies and vivid storytelling, it’s not too shocking Hemby helped write some material for Kacey Musgrave’s recent Golden Hour. Fans of that album will notice some welcome similarities in the warm approach. If you’re looking for a strong batch of bright, vivid tunes for a spring or summer evening, Puxico certainly fits the bill. Whether you’re a fan of country, pop, or just singer-songwriter in general, Hemby ticks all the right boxes on her overlooked debut.

Spanish Love Songs SchmaltzWinterfylleth The Hallowing of Heirdom
Runaway Brother New PocketAlela Diane Cusp
Brigid Mae Power The Two WorldsBedouine Bedouine
recommended by reviewer
Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour

June 9th 2018

I’ll post links later when I’m not on the run but I promise the album is better than this review. Overlooked 2017 gem

Cairo, IL

Worn

This Town Still Talks About You

Digging: Trampled By Turtles - Life Is Good On The Open Road

June 9th 2018

Nice, I've been on a country kick lately. That Kacey Musgraves rec sold me. Good little write-up, too.

Digging: mewithoutYou - (Untitled) E.P.

Cheers Sowing :] just a quick one

Discovered this on my recent country binge as well thanks to Lucid. I could definitely see u digging it but FYI I think the quality picks up after the first few tracks

mvdu
June 10th 2018

The samples sound excellent while not being carbon copies of the songs she wrote for others. I just love her voice. Thanks for the review.

June 10th 2018

Thanks for checking it out, good sir!

For anyone who likes the sample tracks, the whole thing can be heard via Spotify or Apple Music

June 10th 2018

Definitely hearing the Musgraves comparison, although I'm not as sold on her voice. She does more with the guitar though, so there's potential. I'm gonna keep listening.

theBoneyKing
June 10th 2018

Nice little review for a nice little album! The album is a bit too lightweight/lacking in personality in the country scene to really grab me but it’s a worthwhile work for sure.

Digging: Animal Collective - Feels

June 10th 2018

cheers boney! after the first few tracks, I sorta felt a lot of this wasn't even country. just great songwriting

glad you liked it sowing, even if it's just a 3 ;) for me I actually adore her voice but it's the lyrics that really grabbed me. "Worn" gets me every time.

So thin you almost see straight through it

So precious even when it’s torn

I find the finer things worth keeping

Are worn

Conmaniac

ooh an Atari review (:

Lucid
June 10th 2018

nice review! "this town" is so good, bet kacey regrets not claiming that one ;)

Fuck yes, Atari!

June 11th 2018

glad to hear it!!

BlushfulHippocrene
June 15th 2018

What a lovely piece of writing.

Digging: Mitski - Be the Cowboy

June 16th 2018

you’re a lovely user 😊

def let me know what you think if you check this out! Not sure if the country influence will be your thing or not but there’s pop and folk touches in her songwriting as well. If the first couple tracks don’t do it for you I’d start with Cairo, IL. Pretty much every track from that point on is gold

TwigTW
June 17th 2018

I didn't realize the Musgraves connection. It's a nice album for a lazy Sunday afternoon--like today. Return is still my favorite, and a great closer.

Digging: Aretha Franklin - Spirit In The Dark