Snail Mail
Lush

by DropTune USER (62 Reviews)
June 9th, 2018 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 'Lush' lives up to its name boasting a simplistic array of colorful textures and down-to-earth storytelling.

If I were to tell you a 19 year old released an indie rock album, you’d probably laugh. Chances are it’s another millennial coffeehouse rocker who just learned their basic chords. They’re probably tripping over their amp cables as they write angsty songs about politics and society. Looking at the previous landscape of young artists, I wouldn’t disregard those criticisms. Hayley Williams, Lorde, and Amy Lee started their careers in their late teens and became embellished in the same stereotype. Little life experience and the pressure of releasing albums every so often don’t make for the best material. That’s where Snail Mail works their magic. Indulged in a youthful outlook, the simplistic indie texture of Lush lives up to its name. Lush takes you back to that post-high school/pre-college standpoint of stepping up to the plate. Partying, drinking, and friends lost their luster. Now is the time to cash your reality check and see the world for what it is. What better eyes to see this through than Snail Mail"

Lush is an easygoing indie rocker with simple production. Nothing life changing goes on. Just your basic layered guitars, bass, and drums. There’s a French horn solo in ‘Deep Sea,’ one of the albums more experimental songs. Lush’s simplicity isn’t a bad thing in the context of the record. It has a charm to it and focuses on the group’s core sound. It almost reminds me of an Elliott Smith album where it’s barebones in a way. Think Figure 8 or XO but with a modern sound. Regardless, the music of Lush is astounding. ‘Let’s Find an Out,’ one of my personal favorites, is a guitar-focused track with a picked rhythm and smooth vocal performance. “Let's find an out/We'll start anew,” Lindsey sings as the guitar washes in the background. ‘Pristine’ is more of a standard indie single. It boasts a lo-fi melodramatic tone with a strong vocal performance. It’s got a bright layered riff, grooving bass, and slow drums that back up, “Is there any better feeling than coming clean"” ‘Heat Wave’ is more of a rocker and has a nice crunchy lead between verses. I noticed it shares a similar structure to ‘Lazy Eye.’ “I'm feeling low/I'm not into sometimes,” ends ‘Heat Wave’ on a climactic note.

I enjoyed Lush a lot more than I thought I did. It’s an easy listening 10 song debut album. It doesn’t overstay its welcome or promote any pretentious elements. There aren’t any problems I found with it. It’s not an eye-catching debut, but that doesn’t work against Lush. It settles into a niche of its own. It’s sarcastic, melodramatic, and simplistic to its own right. It’s not trying to be anything other than itself. I’d highly recommend Lush nonetheless and it’ll have its place on my end of year list. Unlike the previous reviewer (shout out to FreddieDelaney31) I didn’t have that same emotional connection. This isn’t a negative to Lush. Music hits everyone differently and I’m glad Freddie found that element with their music. It goes to show how much they’ve grown since their EP. Otherwise, I think it’s for the best readers slither on over to Lush while it’s hot. Grab some coffee, snuggle into some flannel, and groove to some indie rock.

Standout Tracks

Yellowcard Southern AirAlice Cooper From the Inside
FreddieDelaney31 (4.5)
I could be anyone...

June 9th 2018

This is a pretty great review, definitely worth a pos! Enjoyed hearing your take on it and seeing where opinions differ

Digging: Petal - Magic Gone

June 9th 2018

Thanks man! I was wondering if you noticed any of the similarities I listed. I kinda got a Silversun vibe in most songs.

June 9th 2018

I can totally see where you're coming from with some stuff here, this is a lot more dreamy/gazey than I've seen people give it credit for. Also, Let's Find An Out is my favorite song!

June 9th 2018

Let's Find an Out is also my favorite from the album. I agree it's dreamy and gazey, but not in a standard way. Because it's produced so simplistically there aren't a lot of layers going on. With better production I think the shoegaze elements would have been better flaunted. It didn't change my score in any way. That's simply what I thought held it back. I'm not expecting anything Of Monsters and Men level.

BlushfulHippocrene

Let's Find an Out ! [3]

Digging: Misery Club - Club Misery

I'm not alone!

June 9th 2018

Let's Find An Out is just such a beautiful wondrously fumbling thing I love it deeply

June 10th 2018

That one reminded me the most of Elliott Smith. That's the main reason it was my favorite. I never hear modern artists play songs that way. It's really disappointing.

BlushfulHippocrene
June 10th 2018

Excellent review, by the way. Although, what do you mean by "I enjoyed Lush a lot more than I thought I did"? As in, you enjoy the album more on reflection than when listening to it? Or rather than "did", did you mean "would"?

I really appreciate the angle you took here, it runs a good (perhaps unintentional) counter to a lot of this band's other coverage (not making reference to Freddie's terrific review).

June 10th 2018

I meant more on reflection. It comes across a bit jumbled due to me comparing my perspective to Freddie's, but I thought it was a good album. This one might grow on me, but for now I thought it was pretty good.

Clefairy
June 20th 2018

deep sea is rly good

Dylan620
June 21st 2018

"Deep Sea" and "Let's Find an Out" are wonderful

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - April

June 21st 2018

I love the structure of those two songs.