The Garden
Mirror Might Steal Your Charm

by grayfelt USER (1 Reviews)
June 5th, 2018 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I heavily recommend this album just to hear what they have to offer, it won't be for most as it is pretty polarizing.

I've seen many harsh reviews on the goofy style that twins Wyatt and Fletcher Shears hold on their short release list, and on their past album, "haha", the execution was admittingly not great. I was not expecting too much out of this record but boy was I surprised.

The starting track, "Stallion", is a very fast post-punk heart attack that peaked my interest immediately. Placing this track at the very start is a great introduction to the eccentric personality of The Garden, a personality that is carried throughout the album, never to bore. "Make A Wish," the second track on the album, has this hard-hitting hip-hop beat that dominates the entire track, it was immediately one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, the album does have few rough spots. The vocals on "Voodoo Luck" do not do any favors and the whole song is forgettable. "Shameless Shadow" is the same with average vocals and production that takes me out of the very things that I kept listening to this album for.

The rest of the tracks are so unique and vibrant, ": (" containing sound effects from an old Casio keyboard. It... somehow works.

chris. (4.5)
Like a drunk wizard in my ear...

DoofusWainwright
June 5th 2018

19991 Comments

Sort of a pimped up soundoff of a review.... but I like about half of this album and I really wasn't expecting to see another review for it so POS - you picked up and described some decent highlights

bach